The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm So is there a trick to Stupid Answers? Because even by my standards I do horribly with it.
In 1982, Tony Randall hosted these awards at the Imperial theater
Well, none of the other words in the clue sounds like an award to me, so even though I've never heard of them, it must be the Imperial Awards, right?
Carrie Fisher auditioned for "Star Wars" & this horror film at the same time -- the 2 directors were in the same room
I know there's a horror film called "Carrie", but in the moment, no word in the clue sounded like a film at all to me.

Am I overthinking? Underthinking?
Over.

Take this as you will, though, but it seems you were thrown both times by the intended answer being included in a person's name.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm So is there a trick to Stupid Answers? Because even by my standards I do horribly with it.
Well, none of the other words in the clue sounds like an award to me, so even though I've never heard of them, it must be the Imperial Awards, right?
Carrie Fisher auditioned for "Star Wars" & this horror film at the same time -- the 2 directors were in the same room
I know there's a horror film called "Carrie", but in the moment, no word in the clue sounded like a film at all to me.

Over.

Take this as you will, though, but it seems you were thrown both times by the intended answer being included in a person's name.
I think another big part of it is, if you don't absolutely know the answer, there are a lot of perfectly cromulent negs and it's hard to filter out the right one in time.

Such as this game from 2016, where Instagram was my only get.

Clue: This university's admissions office is in Crouse-Hinds Hall in Syracuse, New York

Me: Crouse-Hinds university? Just Crouse? Just Hinds? Office University? In University? Is University? University University? Could be any of them!

Or this one...

Clue: What the British call a jumper we call this type of sweater that you pull over your head

Me: Sweater? Head sweater? British sweater? Type sweater? Call sweater? What sweater? We sweater?
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Over.

I think another big part of it is, if you don't absolutely know the answer, there are a lot of perfectly cromulent negs and it's hard to filter out the right one in time.

Clue: This university's admissions office is in Crouse-Hinds Hall in Syracuse, New York

Me: Crouse-Hinds university? Just Crouse? Just Hinds? Office University? In University? Is University? University University? Could be any of them!

Or this one...

Clue: What the British call a jumper we call this type of sweater that you pull over your head

Me: Sweater? Head sweater? British sweater? Type sweater? Call sweater? What sweater? We sweater?
Yes, you still have to know some stuff - shocking as that continually seems to be for you. Like maybe having heard of Syracuse University or that a pullover is a type of sweater. Real complicated and arcane stuff, that. :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I confess I said Randall hosted the Imperial Awards. :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm Your 4th time this season. :) search.php?keywords=louis+xiv&terms=all ... mit=Search
So French king = Louis XIV, except for the 43,789 times that it's not.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It gave the years of his reign. Just know he was king for a very long time. French monarchs aren’t as popular with the writers as the British ones are. So if it is about a French king who was on the throne forever, it is definitely going to be Louis XIV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So about that guessing thing...

Monday I had Washington. Tuesday, olives.

Seems that even when I do guess I'm no closer to being right.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am So about that guessing thing...

Monday I had Washington. Tuesday, olives.

Seems that even when I do guess I'm no closer to being right.
Considering that the players are 0-6, you're in good company for a change. Monday and Tuesday are going to poll well below 50%.

And hey, you knew that olives are a fruit!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Over.

Have you seriously never heard of Syracuse?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer: I added the 6/21/90 game to the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6047

For practice and fun: You are required to guess on the FJ! clue. Good luck. I mean bonne chance.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am Have you seriously never heard of Syracuse?
I have but I didn't really know it had a university. And even so I didn't think it'd just be named Syracuse University. It could easily have been Crouse, Hinds, or New York.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm Hammer: I added the 6/21/90 game to the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6047

For practice and fun: You are required to guess on the FJ! clue. Good luck. I mean bonne chance.
"Wait, isn't there just an eagle on the back of the Susan B. Anthony dollar? 1960s event... no, not JFK since he already got the half dollar. Not whichever amendment gave women the right to vote since that was earlier. Uh....."

I sat on this one for a good five minutes before I gave up. I wouldn't have guessed that even if I had the damn coin right in front of me. For the record my guess was MLK's assassination.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm Your 4th time this season. :) search.php?keywords=louis+xiv&terms=all ... mit=Search
So French king = Louis XIV, except for the 43,789 times that it's not.
I haven't run the numbers, but I'd bet good money that 80% of the time, the answer for "French King" is going to be Charlemagne (united much of Europe, Holy Roman Emperor, ~800AD), Louis XIV (Sun King, reigned for 70+ years, most of 1600s), or Louis XVI (last French king, married to Marie Antoinette, guillotined in 1793).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seriously? All the times I've looked at Susan B. Anthony dollars and I never once noticed the eagle was on the friggin' MOON?!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's been more than 5 years so we'll give you that one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1340&p=69545&hilit=minaret#p69545
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm
Derrick is a name?
I was reminded of your post from last week when this question came up tonight.

I learn at least piece of young pop culture trivia from each show.

For others who pop in to learn something: The new host of Double Dare is Liza Koshy with Marc Summers still around, doing announcing and providing missed answers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still don't get the area codes category in this game.
712 gets you Iowa, 412, Pennsylvania & 212, this state
Absolutely no TOM whatsoever. You have to know cold that 212 = New York, which I doubt anyone knows unless they have a friend in that area code.
For Buffalo dial 716; for this city of 2.6 million 100 miles away, dial 416
Again, absolutely no TOM at all.
This state's 201 was the first area code to be used, in 1951
And still no TOM.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 am I still don't get the area codes category in this game.
Absolutely no TOM whatsoever. You have to know cold that 212 = New York, which I doubt anyone knows unless they have a friend in that area code.
And still no TOM.
There aren't that many cities over 1 million in population. Find one within 100 miles of Buffalo. Hint, it's not NYC (too big), LA, Chicago, or Houston.

For the other 2, I'll grant you that, but NYC is the largest city in the country. Sometimes you just gotta know stuff.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 am I still don't get the area codes category in this game.
And still no TOM.
Area codes were designed in the era of pulse phones and followed two rules to start: must have a 1 or 0 in the middle (which has been phased out), and cannot use a 1 or 0 in the beginning. Pulse phones meant a 1 dialed 10 times faster than a 0. (dit vs ditditditditditditditditditdit) so high population areas got the low numbers. New York (city), being the most populated area, got the fastest area code to dial: ditdit dit ditdit (212). LA 213, Chicago 312, and so on.

The second one's asking for a big city near Buffalo, NY. That's simple geography. I didn't know it direct, but Buffalo's near Niagara and then Niagara to Toronto.

And sometimes you just have to know the fact being asked.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)