Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

I got to be wrong twice on FJ--50/50 between dates & figs. Crossed out dates.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 pm I came up with apricots - and it turns out Turkey is the largest producer of dried apricots. Cherries would have been far down on the list of fruits I'd associate with Turkey - and definitely behind figs, olives and dates. The etymology of Cerasus was Greek to me.
I did the same thing. My brother lived in Turkey for a few years, so I knew apricots (and cashews) were big. Also considered figs. When I saw one response of "dates", I thought at first that might be right. Wouldn't have come up with cherries if you gave me all day.
h2o_girl
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by h2o_girl »

I also guessed apricots - would've never thought cherries in a zillion years. I live in Washington state and worked in a cherry packing warehouse when I was a teenager - had no idea Turkey grew cherries. :?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Am I crazy, or did Alex pronounce Cerasus with a hard c? That led me further away from the answer.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm Am I crazy, or did Alex pronounce Cerasus with a hard c? That led me further away from the answer.
He did, but that made it sound more like cherries than I was pronouncing it in my head from reading the clue in the NY Times. Even if I waited until hearing him say it, I would still have been thinking anything but cherries, however - just seemed too unlikely to be a Turkish staple.

Is c generally pronounced like k in Latin? It's been decades for me.
davey

Post by davey »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 am
davey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm I wonder if more would have gotten FJ if the category was Word Origins rather than Agriculture. When I made that change in thinking I moved on from figs to the correct response, but that was a good 15 seconds in...

I think TURKEY would have been a better category than WORD ORIGINS.
Several people have posted that they'd never associate Turkey with cherries so it seems like the connection isn't nearly as helpful as thinking about the sound and possible etymology of the word...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

46 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Reckoned Second, *Juan Carlos*, Nathan Hale
Douglas Squasoni
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm
davey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm I wonder if more would have gotten FJ if the category was Word Origins rather than Agriculture. When I made that change in thinking I moved on from figs to the correct response, but that was a good 15 seconds in...

Several people have posted that they'd never associate Turkey with cherries so it seems like the connection isn't nearly as helpful as thinking about the sound and possible etymology of the word...
The presence of Turkey was a bit of a misdirect, offering an A-to-B path to an incorrect response (a common fruit cultivated in the Mediterranean/Middle East > dates or figs), rather than an A-to-C path to the correct response (Cerasus > looks like cerise > French for cherry).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm
davey wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm

The presence of Turkey was a bit of a misdirect, offering an A-to-B path to an incorrect response (a common fruit cultivated in the Mediterranean/Middle East > dates or figs), rather than an A-to-C path to the correct response (Cerasus > looks like cerise > French for cherry).
There is also memorizing the Archive:

#6777, aired 2014-02-18 FRUITS & VEGETABLES $800: Prunus cerasus is the botanical name for the sour type of this popular pie fruit
#3472, aired 1999-10-12 FRUIT IN LATIN $200: I cannot tell a lie, this fruit is cerasus

I guess Roger Craig got it right?
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Not just French -- the Spanish word is cereza, which might be more of a help.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Recognizing “Cerasus” as a Latin name can point you in the right direction any number of ways.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Recognizing “Cerasus” as a Latin name can point you in the right direction any number of ways.
Except it's Greek.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Good Grooming (0), Opera Heroines (3), Time Rhyme (1), King of the Castle (4), Extreme Sports? (2), The FBI's 10 Most Wanted List (4)
Literary Types (5), Pop Song Overlaps (4), Endangered Animals (3), Yestercareer (3), From Z to A (5), Nat Geo (5)

Lach Trash: Nathan Hale

I went with dates as well; I assumed the city was a clue, but I couldn't get anything from it.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm
9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm
To be blunt, the type of person who has never shown any curiosity to where common expressions came from, is not someone who is going to succeed on Jeopardy! You have to know things, and you have to be capable of some deductible reasoning to fill in the gaps you don’t know.
Blah blah blah vintager. That must be someone who deals in antiques right?
I call BS.

Let me lay this on you:
"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
He is stamping out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored..."
You must have sung this scores of times and have learned to play this on organ.
OCSam
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm Am I crazy, or did Alex pronounce Cerasus with a hard c? That led me further away from the answer.
He did, but that made it sound more like cherries than I was pronouncing it in my head from reading the clue in the NY Times. Even if I waited until hearing him say it, I would still have been thinking anything but cherries, however - just seemed too unlikely to be a Turkish staple.

If I'd been thinking of the Turkish pronunciation, it might have come clearer for me. In modern Turkish, a C is pronounced like a cross between the "dj" in "adjust" and a "ch" diphthong. Incirlik Air Base outside of Adana is pronounced approximately "injure-lick," Cigli Airport serving Izmer is more like "Chilly," and the current president Recep Erdogan's first name is close to "Redjep." If Cerasus uses the Turkish pronunciation, "cherry" is a lot more gettable. Spent a LOT of time in Turkey in the 70s, but pronouncing words Turkishly (?) doesn't come easy any more.

Instead I thought of dates, figs, and pomegranates before settling on olives.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

If I'd been thinking of the Turkish pronunciation, it might have come clearer for me. In modern Turkish, a C is pronounced like a cross between the "dj" in "adjust" and a "ch" diphthong. Incirlik Air Base outside of Adana is pronounced approximately "injure-lick," Cigli Airport serving Izmer is more like "Chilly," and the current president Recep Erdogan's first name is close to "Redjep." If Cerasus uses the Turkish pronunciation, "cherry" is a lot more gettable. Spent a LOT of time in Turkey in the 70s, but pronouncing words Turkishly (?) doesn't come easy any more.

Instead I thought of dates, figs, and pomegranates before settling on olives.
Cerasus is the Greek name, transliterated more directly as Kerasous. In Turkish the place is called Giresun, which starts with a hard G.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,800
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: emollient, reckoned second, beer of the year, (Juan Carlos), diving, Nathan Hale

I'm ticked at myself for missing this one. I wrote down dates as a starting point and then worked on Cerasus. About halfway through the Think Music, I made the connection to cereza, so I knew that had to be what they were going for. Like many of you, though, I've never heard of any connection between Turkey and cherries, so I just couldn't pull the trigger.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 pm
To be blunt, the type of person who has never shown any curiosity to where common expressions came from, is not someone who is going to succeed on Jeopardy! You have to know things, and you have to be capable of some deductible reasoning to fill in the gaps you don’t know.
I call BS.

Let me lay this on you:
But I never stopped to think what "vintage" means in that context, since the other 99,999,999 times I've seen that word, it meant something else.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm
I call BS.

Let me lay this on you:
But I never stopped to think what "vintage" means in that context, since the other 99,999,999 times I've seen that word, it meant something else.
Hold on. Given "trampling" and "grapes", what might the end product be?? Orange juice?

There's a classic "I Love Lucy" scene with Lucy and Ethel trampling grapes at a vineyard. Look it up.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:11 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm
I call BS.

Let me lay this on you:
Hold on. Given "trampling" and "grapes", what might the end product be?? Orange juice?

There's a classic "I Love Lucy" scene with Lucy and Ethel trampling grapes at a vineyard. Look it up.
Oh, I got that it was wine. I just didn't get that "vintage" was a wine term.