TCONA 8

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: TCONA 8

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 pm The third major event is the Hot 100/IQA event.

You know, I haven’t posted here in months, and yet I bothered to drop by to offer that little bit of info.

It is reasonable to assume that I might know something more about these behind-the-scenes issues than you.
It is also reasonable to assume someone presenting a game at the event in question would have knowledge most people don't; especially some person that "hasn't posted here in months", and has an anonymous screen name, but if you want to be unreasonable, go for it.
In fairness, AP isn't just some random dude. He's one of the leading lights of the trivia community.
Sprinkles are for winners.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 pm The third major event is the Hot 100/IQA event.

You know, I haven’t posted here in months, and yet I bothered to drop by to offer that little bit of info.

It is reasonable to assume that I might know something more about these behind-the-scenes issues than you.
It is also reasonable to assume someone presenting a game at the event in question would have knowledge most people don't; especially some person that "hasn't posted here in months", and has an anonymous screen name, but if you want to be unreasonable, go for it.
I guess we’ll see!
I think we can already see by looking at your first post:

Austin Powers wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 am
If you are going to ever go, go this year.

I sense the event is on shaky financial footing. I should say, its operator has even admitted that the financial situation is bad. no secret here, certainly not information others don't have

There is a nonzero chance it folds before next year, or is sold to a larger corporate entity. In the latter case I suspect it will look very different from past TCONAs. pure speculation here, you even used the words "I suspect". Although I will speculate that even if there are attempts being made to sell it, this won't be sold to "a larger corporate entity" as corporate entities aren't too keen on buying stuff that loses money. You are however correct about the "nonzero chance it folds before next year" as this event is happening in one month, and has a full schedule.

Even if those events don’t transpire, it may continue to shed content providers. Three major events on last year’s schedule are not on this year’s schedule. "may continue to shed content providers" is again pure speculation, no inside information again. All I did here was give your vague post some context and added actual facts. I was able to figure out 2/3 "major" events you were speaking of, and gave you the information about why those weren't on the schedule--the real reasons, zero speculation on my part. Even though I don't have the schedules for all 8, I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and guess there are "major" events from 1, 2, and 3 that weren't on the schedule for 6 or 7. Things have changed over the years, and they will continue to change. I personally like seeing the evolution as opposed to many local county fairs where everything is exactly the same year after year.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:37 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

I guess we’ll see!
I think we can already see by looking at your first post:

Austin Powers wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 am
If you are going to ever go, go this year.

I sense the event is on shaky financial footing. I should say, its operator has even admitted that the financial situation is bad. no secret here, certainly not information others don't have

There is a nonzero chance it folds before next year, or is sold to a larger corporate entity. In the latter case I suspect it will look very different from past TCONAs. pure speculation here, you even used the words "I suspect". Although I will speculate that even if there are attempts being made to sell it, this won't be sold to "a larger corporate entity" as corporate entities aren't too keen on buying stuff that loses money. You are however correct about the "nonzero chance it folds before next year" as this event is happening in one month, and has a full schedule.

Even if those events don’t transpire, it may continue to shed content providers. Three major events on last year’s schedule are not on this year’s schedule. "may continue to shed content providers" is again pure speculation, no inside information again. All I did here was give your vague post some context and added actual facts. I was able to figure out 2/3 "major" events you were speaking of, and gave you the information about why those weren't on the schedule--the real reasons, zero speculation on my part. Even though I don't have the schedules for all 8, I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and guess there are "major" events from 1, 2, and 3 that weren't on the schedule for 6 or 7. Things have changed over the years, and they will continue to change. I personally like seeing the evolution as opposed to many local county fairs where everything is exactly the same year after year.
Personally I don't care what you think - you seem oblivious to context and subtext - but I wouldn't be saying the things I have been saying unless I had information strongly pointing to the correctness of my statements.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, I'm officially registered as a free agent and assigned to a Quiz Bowl team with 3 other randoms. I think I'm too late for Trash, but that's OK

What can I expect for Quiz Bowl? Any way to see sample questions from TOCNA7?

Look forward to meeting some of you in Vegas! I'm trying to tack on a few days at a national park afterwards, but hotels / lodges are mostly sold out. Any suggestions?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 pm Well, I'm officially registered as a free agent and assigned to a Quiz Bowl team with 3 other randoms. I think I'm too late for Trash, but that's OK

What can I expect for Quiz Bowl? Any way to see sample questions from TOCNA7?

Look forward to meeting some of you in Vegas! I'm trying to tack on a few days at a national park afterwards, but hotels / lodges are mostly sold out. Any suggestions?
TCONA quiz bowl is described in a past year's writeup as "a mix of NAQT and TRASH distribution, with some ACF difficulty thrown in." I believe it's a good description as I pick up my fair share of sports and pop culture stuff but I was never a quiz bowl player in HS or college so I am for the most part outmatched in the academic areas, particularly science, but the difficulty is usually reasonable enough that I've at least heard of most of the answers and could answer the majority of them on the last line should they get that far. Bonuses tend to be all over the place, you might get 3 very easy questions or 3 crazy hard ones, a bit of luck of the draw comes into play.

The breakdown is somewhere around 55% academic (primarily science, history, literature) and 45% trash (mostly movies, tv, sports, pop music, withi some other stuff like video games, comics, etc).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

jeff6286 wrote:TCONA quiz bowl is described in a past year's writeup as "a mix of NAQT and TRASH distribution, with some ACF difficulty thrown in." I believe it's a good description as I pick up my fair share of sports and pop culture stuff but I was never a quiz bowl player in HS or college so I am for the most part outmatched in the academic areas, particularly science, but the difficulty is usually reasonable enough that I've at least heard of most of the answers and could answer the majority of them on the last line should they get that far. Bonuses tend to be all over the place, you might get 3 very easy questions or 3 crazy hard ones, a bit of luck of the draw comes into play.

The breakdown is somewhere around 55% academic (primarily science, history, literature) and 45% trash (mostly movies, tv, sports, pop music, withi some other stuff like video games, comics, etc).
Since I am helping to write the quiz bowl tournament I can verify that this is correct. To be honest the questions aren't as well written as NAQT or ACF, but it was still my favorite of the official TCONA events both years that I went.

And this probably won't make a huge difference but the length of the quiz bowl rounds are being cut from 20 to 18 toss ups this year.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thanks for the Quiz Bowl tips! Should be fun,even if I bomb terribly

What's the deal with the Millionaire auditions? Do you just show up or do you need to sign up in advance?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am Thanks for the Quiz Bowl tips! Should be fun, even if I bomb terribly

What's the deal with the Millionaire auditions? Do you just show up or do you need to sign up in advance?
If Millionaire holds auditions at TCONA, you can just show up. If not, you can go over to the studio next to Bally's and audition on a tape day. For that, you should probably reserve tickets for a taping session.
https://millionairetv.dadt.com/auditions/

Speaking of taping, I have a ticket for Thursday, August 2, at 3:00 PM. Is anyone else going then?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am Thanks for the Quiz Bowl tips! Should be fun, even if I bomb terribly

If Millionaire holds auditions at TCONA, you can just show up. If not, you can go over to the studio next to Bally's and audition on a tape day. For that, you should probably reserve tickets for a taping session.

Speaking of taping, I have a ticket for Thursday, August 2, at 3:00 PM. Is anyone else going then?
Ahh, thanks for that. I keep looking at the 2017 TCONA schedule and confusing myself

I could probably go to that taping on Thursday
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Ahh, thanks for that. I keep looking at the 2017 TCONA schedule and confusing myself

I could probably go to that taping on Thursday
I imagine the show is still having a hard time filling their seats (they even have paid audience members now), so even if you don't manage to get tickets, if you have the time to just show up there and ask if you can get in, you might.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TheLibmanMop
Contributor

Post by TheLibmanMop »

There will be a large group of us (at least five) going to that Thursday taping prior to TCONA. We did the Friday a.m. taping last year, and it was a lot of fun! Hope to see you there.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TheLibmanMop wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm There will be a large group of us (at least five) going to that Thursday taping prior to TCONA. We did the Friday a.m. taping last year, and it was a lot of fun! Hope to see you there.
Are you going to the morning or afternoon taping?
TheLibmanMop
Contributor

Post by TheLibmanMop »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 pm
TheLibmanMop wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm There will be a large group of us (at least five) going to that Thursday taping prior to TCONA. We did the Friday a.m. taping last year, and it was a lot of fun! Hope to see you there.
The afternoon.

I might also go on Monday if they are taping then, as well.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TheLibmanMop wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 pm
The afternoon.

I might also go on Monday if they are taping then, as well.
I got my ticket for Thursday 3PM
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Sign-ups for the Thursday Night "not-a-race" trivia competition are on, with teams of up to 6.

Anyone want to join me on an all-jboard team?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am Sign-ups for the Thursday Night "not-a-race" trivia competition are on, with teams of up to 6.

Yes!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Let's be sure to look for each other at the Millionaire taping. It's always fun to sit together.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am Let's be sure to look for each other at the Millionaire taping. It's always fun to sit together.
Have you all met before? How will you recognize me? :0)
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 am
boson wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am Sign-ups for the Thursday Night "not-a-race" trivia competition are on, with teams of up to 6.

Yes!
Me too!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

If the conference is on bad financial footing, why don't they just increase the cost of TCONA. It's still just a small portion of the whole 'vacation' cost.