TCONA 8

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: TCONA 8

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am Let's be sure to look for each other at the Millionaire taping. It's always fun to sit together.
Have you all met before? How will you recognize me? :0)
the red nose
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am Let's be sure to look for each other at the Millionaire taping. It's always fun to sit together.
Have you all met before? How will you recognize me? :0)
8-)

Y'all can recognize me by my avatar. I'm a little grayer, but otherwise pretty much unchanged.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am Thanks for the Quiz Bowl tips! Should be fun, even if I bomb terribly

What's the deal with the Millionaire auditions? Do you just show up or do you need to sign up in advance?
If Millionaire holds auditions at TCONA, you can just show up. If not, you can go over to the studio next to Bally's and audition on a tape day. For that, you should probably reserve tickets for a taping session.
https://millionairetv.dadt.com/auditions/
Here's my dilemma. I'm in the Jeopardy! contestant pool until January (third trimester!) If I audition for Millionaire and they call me over the next 6 months, before I hear from Jeopardy!, would I say YES and forfeit my chance of being on Jeopardy! this year, or say NO and hope for The Call from Jeopardy!, which may never come?

A lot of ifs, I know, but I figure it doesn't hurt to audition in Vegas, if only just for practice. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time if I've already made up my mind I'm going to say NO

Funny, I was gonna go to the Millionaire open call in NYC last June, and the day before the audition, I got the invite from Jeopardy! So I skipped Millionaire and decided to focus all my energy on Jeopardy! :?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am Thanks for the Quiz Bowl tips! Should be fun, even if I bomb terribly

What's the deal with the Millionaire auditions? Do you just show up or do you need to sign up in advance?
If Millionaire holds auditions at TCONA, you can just show up. If not, you can go over to the studio next to Bally's and audition on a tape day. For that, you should probably reserve tickets for a taping session.
Here's my dilemma. I'm in the Jeopardy! contestant pool until January (third trimester!) If I audition for Millionaire and they call me over the next 6 months, before I hear from Jeopardy!, would I say YES and forfeit my chance of being on Jeopardy! this year, or say NO and hope for The Call from Jeopardy!, which may never come?

A lot of ifs, I know, but I figure it doesn't hurt to audition in Vegas, if only just for practice. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time if I've already made up my mind I'm going to say NO

Funny, I was gonna go to the Millionaire open call in NYC last June, and the day before the audition, I got the invite from Jeopardy! So I skipped Millionaire and decided to focus all my energy on Jeopardy! :?
1. That would be a nice problem to have. :)

2. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Millionaire is renewed on a year-to-year basis, while Jeopardy has a couple more seasons guaranteed. Take Millionaire while you can. If J! calls once, they'll call again, especially if your excuse is temporary ineligibility.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm

1. That would be a nice problem to have. :)

2. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Millionaire is renewed on a year-to-year basis, while Jeopardy has a couple more seasons guaranteed. Take Millionaire while you can. If J! calls once, they'll call again, especially if your excuse is temporary ineligibility.
Plus, if you're in the pool, the chances of getting The Call are still only like 10-20%. So definitely go for the bird in the hand.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Take whatever call you get, there may not be another.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 am
boson wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am Sign-ups for the Thursday Night "not-a-race" trivia competition are on, with teams of up to 6.

Anyone want to join me on an all-jboard team?
Yes!
Me too!
Anyone else interested in joining us for Thursday's "Not-a-race"? PM me or boson your name and email, and we can get a team going (up to 6).
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

I went through this bit of grief last year thinking that Jeopardy was my First Love and I wouldn't want to risk it by getting into bed with another Quiz Show. I changed my tune quickly enough, especially since if the odds of getting on either show given you're in the pool are about 1 in 7, then there's only a 1 in 49 chance your heart will be broken but a 13 in 49 chance you'll get on a show.

Signed,

A hopefully pending dual-pool swimmer
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I regret not trying harder to get on Millionaire during the phone game days, but I was committed to J! at that time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm I regret not trying harder to get on Millionaire during the phone game days, but I was committed to J! at that time.
And look at that - you made it on Jeopardy!

I'm leaning towards going against the audience on this one and letting my 18 months pool time lapse before committing to any other show. TBH, I have zero personal investment in Millionaire, while J! is an obsession

I'll take the Millionaire test in Vegas anyway - why not?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I just wanted to follow-up on this after having a great time at TCONA. It was great to meet a lot of jboardies, llamas and associated quiz people. Won a quiz with hbomb, lost to Jeff several times, had a ridiculously large number of wrong answers in Wayne's 500 questions, won cash from Fleetwit, was stumped by music questions with reddpen, and was welcomed by everyone.

The best thing about this just sitting at a table with people you sort of know and working together to answer questions and become friends.

Well, that and laying a serious beatings on multi-million dollars of game show winners in quizbowl.

The worst thing is Vermonter's music quiz. Dude, wtf?

(just kidding - we got one of them. It was so hard.)

The future of the conference is in doubt, but it was so fun we need to work to make it happen.

Thanks everyone!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Anyone know where I can get my hands on questions from this weekend? I am more than happy to pay a fair price to the writers. I didn't get to go this year, but if it happens again I will certainly be in attendance.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm Anyone know where I can get my hands on questions from this weekend? I am more than happy to pay a fair price to the writers. I didn't get to go this year, but if it happens again I will certainly be in attendance.
There were dozens of question writers in different formats with different rights attached to them. I don't think it was organized enough to get them in one place to sell or give away. Some may be posted by the authors.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I wrote a few questions for the quiz bowl tournament and have access to all the questions compiled by category (there is a note that includes which round and number in the round they were used for). I have permission to share them if anyone wants them.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

It was lovely meeting many of you this weekend, and I had a great time chatting and playing with Hbomb1947, BigDaddyMatty, and ReddPen among others. It was also great meeting ACThomas during the 500 questions written and run by TriviaWayne, which was quite the trivial feat. Boson and I also got to talk with Roger Craig, who we haven't seen since we used to play against him in our Penn State Quizbowl days.

My only regret was that it was too quick- so many others I did not have a chance to meet and talk to this weekend!
Wpwells wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm Anyone know where I can get my hands on questions from this weekend? I am more than happy to pay a fair price to the writers. I didn't get to go this year, but if it happens again I will certainly be in attendance.
David Dixon announced on the TCONA Facebook group that he is posting his music quiz on Alpaca Farm.

http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/3082
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

cmp146 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 pm It was lovely meeting many of you this weekend, and I had a great time chatting and playing with Hbomb1947, BigDaddyMatty, and ReddPen among others. It was also great meeting ACThomas during the 500 questions written and run by TriviaWayne, which was quite the trivial feat. Boson and I also got to talk with Roger Craig, who we haven't seen since we used to play against him in our Penn State Quizbowl days.

My only regret was that it was too quick- so many others I did not have a chance to meet and talk to this weekend!
David Dixon announced on the TCONA Facebook group that he is posting his music quiz on Alpaca Farm.

http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/3082
I just saw that!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

StevenH wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:19 pm I wrote a few questions for the quiz bowl tournament and have access to all the questions compiled by category (there is a note that includes which round and number in the round they were used for). I have permission to share them if anyone wants them.
This would be awesome!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm I regret not trying harder to get on Millionaire during the phone game days, but I was committed to J! at that time.
auditioned last year...only did it because my friend wanted me to go along....had no interest in actually getting on...made it past the written portion and when it came to the interview i was pretty open and they didn't care too much about my asian hooker stories....in retrospect i actually should have tried a bit harder and not intentionally bombing the interview portion....but come on...las vegas and hookers (yes i know clark county is dry) go together, don't they?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

keith williams has an quiz on alpaca involving audio questions from that event