New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 pm The $100 clue in US States is still correct.
Google? Or did you call it?
I called it and a lady answered and said "Louisiana tourism". I thought about asking her if she knew the number was featured in a clue on Jeopardy! 28 years ago, but I just hung up.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 6/22/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6048

This was the game after Eric Terzuolo was retired. Often there is a let down after a big champ leaves. This game was really bad and Eric would have cruised to a 6th win if sky’s the limit was in effect.

Player pics of Bill Heins, Philis Curlender and Gary Harvey:
Spoiler

Check out the length of Gary’s coma in the game: http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=6048 as he slept from DD1 until late in the DJ! round.

Philis was doomed at chat time when the dreaded Mensa was mentioned. That’s a long-standing jinx although it does not seem to come up as often now.

When looking up the spelling of the camel sound I found this site: http://www.jeopardyanswers.net leading to this: http://www.jeopardyanswers.net/category ... iterature/

I’m surprised the J! World Tour app goes back so far to use clues from a 1990 game and interesting it was one (until today) not in the Archive.

The FJ! clue is a classic coin toss when I would never expect a 3/3 on the show while someone should always get it right.

The game has S-itis with the Simon & Garfunkel song (some kind of song in multiple releases vs. album title going on) and Alex did not care what the caged bird did.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm The FJ! clue is a classic coin toss when I would never expect a 3/3 on the show while someone should always get it right.
And within three years it was no longer accurate, since
Spoiler
Toni Morrison
became the other in 1993.
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:30 pm
animfan wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm I have added S5 6/9/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5996

Player pics:
Spoiler
The category religion is misspelled.
Fixed it, thank you.
Also the “A” in “Vanderbilt’s” is capitalized and it should be lowercase.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

animfan wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:30 pm
animfan wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm I have added S5 6/9/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5996

Player pics:
Spoiler
The category religion is misspelled.
Fixed it, thank you.
Also the “A” in “Vanderbilt’s” is capitalized and it should be lowercase.
It's taken care of, thanks. Yeah, that was fun to play let's find the clue and discover it was at the bottom right after going through all of the previous ones.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a typo in the Hirohito clue as well.

Only 50 clues played and just 33 correct responses and Gary only rang in six times. Pretty crappy prizes as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm There is a typo in the Hirohito clue as well.

Only 50 clues played and just 33 correct responses and Gary only rang in six times. Pretty crappy prizes as well.
firth child is a good one. I guess there is no Colin in the Japanese royal family. All fixed. Thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Now it’s time for the partials as I have at least several dozen incomplete games.

First is 9/17/91 with no intros or J! round: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6051

Players pics of Chuck, Maureen, & Randy:
Spoiler

This has only the FJ! round of 5/25/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6050

Player pics of Paul, Fred and Richard Neale in his 4th game:
Spoiler

More next week.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Mark:

A dumb request regarding the 5/25/90 game.

Is it possible not to claim that a $10,800 Daily Double happened (unless it actually did?)

Being that $10,800 would be a record Daily Double wager, it would mess with record-keeping if that were to stay.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm Mark:

A dumb request regarding the 5/25/90 game.

Is it possible not to claim that a $10,800 Daily Double happened (unless it actually did?)

Being that $10,800 would be a record Daily Double wager, it would mess with record-keeping if that were to stay.
It's not a dumb request and does make sense. I'll work on a different rewiring of the game. I know nothing about programming, how impossible would it be to set something up with a check box that it's an incomplete game? From there the archivist inputs the known scores for the missing portion of the game without having to do the workaround to make the numbers work by faking so many clues.

Or should I only deal with complete games as no matter what I do with the partial games statistics are being manufactured?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For various reasons I've explored in the past it won't be helpful to add a checkbox for an incomplete game, at least, no more helpful than noting as much in the game comments that appear at the top of the game, which should always be done for incomplete games.

In order to "fabricate" a score for an incomplete game, best practice is to fiddle with the response toggles of blank clues until the scores are correct, and to place hyphens (or, okay, equals signs) in the clue and response fields for those squares.

Edit: I just looked at that game. All we have is the Final? Poopy.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

$21,600 pre-FJ, that has to be a record or nearly so in 1990, right? And maybe top 10 or 15 for regular play now, using adjusted scores?
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

There was the December 2, 1988 game where Jack Lechner had $27,500 going into FJ; he missed the final and lost $15K, even though he still won.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 pm $21,600 pre-FJ, that has to be a record or nearly so in 1990, right? And maybe top 10 or 15 for regular play now, using adjusted scores?
That is indeed the 12th highest pre-FJ score in a regular-play game in the Archive, when adjusting for the old dollar amounts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added what I had of 6/12/89: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6054

Player pics of John Katchmer, Robert Plunkett & Julie Harris Neiger:
Spoiler

Note to the 45 (HA! now 50) early birds looking in on today's 7/16/18 thread: The early Montgomery airing was interrupted after 12 clues of the DJ! round for special report of Putin and Trump speaking. The next airing of J! I can access is out of Cleveland, MS at 10PT. Until the daily thread shows 2 replies there will never be anything going on in it other than a placeholder for the J! and DJ! round.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Note to the 45 (HA! now 50) early birds looking in on today's 7/16/18 thread: The early Montgomery airing was interrupted after 12 clues of the DJ! round for special report of Putin and Trump speaking. The next airing of J! I can access is out of Cleveland, MS at 10PT. Until the daily thread shows 2 replies there will never be anything going on in it other than a placeholder for the J! and DJ! round.
At least you were spared seeing any more of our political ads. Thank God the runoff is tomorrow so I'll be done with them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

At least you were spared seeing any more of our political ads. Thank God the runoff is tomorrow so I'll be done with them.
I saw enough of J! from the Montgomery airing to see the attack ad with the singing of Twinkle Twinkle Cavanaugh. If YT has that ad to share here I could not find it. That one demonstrates a nasty campaign and revenge for the dirt she shared on opponent Ainsworth.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

At least this time, Gerald Dial didn't bring back his folksy campaign song, "It's a New Day in Alabama" for his runoff ads.
Also, the wife of one of the candidates for attorney general, Steve Marshall, passed away during this time between elections, so the ads disappeared for a brief time, in respect, then picked up again a few weeks ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would have had to vote absentee to vote and nobody running motivated me enough to go to the trouble.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added what I had of 10/15/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6056

Player pics of JoAnn Lum, Tom Grexa, and Dave Traini:
Spoiler

The transitional element displayed at the end of the first segment was a star.
The broadcast had audio problems at the start making it very hard to hear Johnny’s introductions. At full volume I was barely able to make out the cities while unable to get the full job titles.