Monday, July 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7811, 2018-07-23

CONTESTANTS
Neel Kotra, an environmental engineer and consultant from Gainesville, Florida
Hollie Schmidt, a medical researcher from Lexington, Massachusetts
Dave Mattingly, a director of technology from Old Forge, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Gonna start you out with a bit of a heads-up today. One week from today, we will be replaying our Tournament of Champions. You get to enjoy some of your favorite players in case you missed that tournament earlier this season. And that'll be followed by some of the other tournaments we presented this year. Great way to spend the summer. Neel, Hollie, and Dave, good to have you here today. Good luck. Let's go to work. Now let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALGAE WHIZ (4/5)
HISTORY WILL NOTE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SECRET OF HOMONYM (5/5)
FUNK & GAMES (4/5)
SKYSCRAPER CITY (5/5)
THE VIEW FROM THE TOP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Neel: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Hollie: 7 R, 0 W
Dave: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Neel found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Dave was in the hole with -$400, Hollie was scoreless, and Neel was at $1,000. Neel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

HISTORY WILL NOTE $800: On Dec. 2, 1954, at long last, decency prevailed in a 67-22 Senate vote condemning this member of the body

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Neel: $5,200
Dave: $1,800
Hollie: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Neel Kotra is from Gainesville, Florida, and he's trying to run a marathon or a half-marathon in each state?

Neel: Half-marathon in every state, yes.

Alex: All right. Half-marathon is 13 miles?

Neel: 13.1. I've done 9 so far. I have three in the calendar for this year, and I'm excited to keep doing it.

Alex: Do you do it alone, or with other members of your family and friends?

Neel: My girlfriend's also a runner, so it's helped that she encouraged me. And she's doing some of the races with me as well.

Alex: Is she better than you?

Neel: I won't say.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Hollie Schmidt is a medical researcher from Massachusetts. You and your husband like to host special parties. Tell us about that.

Hollie: Yes. My husband, Peter, and I a few years ago decided to host Shakespeare-reading parties. And so we pick a Shakespeare play, and we send out an email to all our friends, saying who's available on such and so night. And then we find a way of divvying up parts, and everybody comes over, and we just read it through. And we've got food and beverages, and we have a great time. And it's a good way to refresh our memory with these plays.

Alex: What kind of food do you guys serve when you read Titus Andronicus?

Hollie: Gory food, I think. Yeah.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Dave Mattingly is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He has a connection in his household to the man who started Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!--Merv Griffin.

Dave: Merv Griffin. My cat is named Merv Griffin.

Alex: When did this happen and why did it happen?

Dave: Purely coincidentally, we went to the shelter. We wanted a cat, and we fell in love with Merv. We wanted to give him a last name, and the name of the shelter, which was in Griffin Pond, and hence, Merv Griffin.

Alex: Wow.

Dave: We thought it was a good omen.

Alex: Good omen. Good story.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FUNK & GAMES $800: In the early 1800s a tenth one of these was added to a popular game to circumvent gambling laws

ALGAE WHIZ $1000: Some algae have been classified in this kingdom neither fully plant nor animal
(Dave: What is fungus?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Neel: $7,200
Hollie: $4,200
Dave: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY TITLE REFERENCES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HIT THE BEACHES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEFORE & AFTER PEOPLE (4/5)
"PIN"-TEREST (5/5)
DIRECTOR CAMEOS (4/5)
THE 1917 SILENT PARADE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Neel: 5 R, 1 W
Hollie: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Dave had $11,200, Hollie had $8,600, and Neel was at $11,200. Dave wagered $4,000.

HIT THE BEACHES $1200: Edisto Beach, S.C. says no lights on the beach after dusk in summer to protect these sea turtles named for their big "heads"
(Alex: Dave?)
(Dave: What are copperheads?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dave who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Dave had $9,200, Hollie had $8,600, and Neel was at $10,400. Dave wagered $5,000.

LITERARY TITLE REFERENCES $1600: "The Once and Future King"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEFORE & AFTER PEOPLE $800: Voice of Mr. Incredible who shared a Nobel Peace Prize with F.W. De Klerk

DIRECTOR CAMEOS $1600: The annoying saxophone player in "Night Shift" is this child star & sitcom actor turned director

HIT THE BEACHES $1600: This California beach town & surfing mecca is named for 19th century railroad magnate Henry
(Hollie: What is Malibu?)

HIT THE BEACHES $2000: It's the activity of gathering quahogs & longnecks, maybe on the beaches of Martha's Vineyard
(Hollie: What is oystering?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $22,600 (lock game)
Neel: $11,200
Hollie: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Dave: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Neel: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Hollie: You've no hope of catching up... unless Neel does something stupid. So risk $4,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Paramnesia is another term for this French-named phenomenon--sound familiar?

FINAL SCORES
Hollie: $5,000 + $4,995 = $9,995 (What is deja vu?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Neel: $11,200 + $350 = $11,550 (What is Deja Vu?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dave: $22,600 + $0 = $22,600 (What is Deja Vu?) (2-day champion: $48,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $23,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Neel: $11,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Hollie: $5,000, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dave: 26/60 = .433
Neel: 19/59 = .322
Hollie: 11/58 = .190
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORY WILL NOTE $400: From Dec. 19, 1777 to June 19, 1778, camping was pretty rough for the Continental Army at this location
(Dave: What is Trenton?)

FUNK & GAMES $200: The 17th-century painting seen here shows a game of tric-trac, a variant of this dice & counters game

ALGAE WHIZ $400: Algae range from microscopic organisms up to giant species of this saltwater type that reaches 200 feet in length

ALGAE WHIZ $800: (Jimmy shows an animation of asexual mitosis on the monitor.) Some green algae reproduce through asexual mitosis, in which these important genetic components are split into identical pairs that migrate to the two new cells

"PIN"-TEREST $800: Seen here, the rectangular bar is a rack meshed with this gear

"PIN"-TEREST $1600: The little girls in the painting are wearing this type of dress

LITERARY TITLE REFERENCES $800: "The Godfather"
(Neel: What is--oh. Puzo, no.)
(Dave: Who is Corleone?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Dave: Uh, [*].)

THE 1917 SILENT PARADE $800: Thousands marched from 57th Street to 23rd Street down this numeric Manhattan avenue & famous parade route

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Joseph) McCarthy
a pin
Protista or protists
loggerheads
Arthur
Craig T. Nelson Mandela
Ron Howard
Huntington Beach
clamming
déjà vu
Valley Forge
backgammon
kelp
chromosomes
a pinion
a pinafore
Don Vito Corleone
5th Avenue
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH PHRASES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Paramnesia is another term for this French-named phenomenon–sound familiar?

Dave Mattingly: 22600+0=22600 (2x = $48,800)
Hollie Schmidt: 5000+4995=9995
Neel Kotra: 11200+350=11550

Correct response:
Spoiler
déjà vu

Daily Doubles
Neel: 1000+1000
Dave: 11200-4000
Dave: 9200+5000

Coryats
Dave: 23200
Hollie: 5000
Neel: 11000

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 3600
Hollie: 4200
Neel: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dave got a runaway barely as he had to overcome negging on clue 1 to serve up a rebound and losing 4 large on DD2. Dave finding DD3 and willing to bet big again with 5K instead of doing once bitten, twice shy gave him just enough to be home free for the 61st clue of the game.

The writers tried to jazz up the FJ! clue with “paramnesia” though not enough to make the clue any less than 3/3 for gets. Perhaps if the clue did not have, “sound familiar”, then it’s a little more difficult? As written, it’s a huge advantage to whoever leads.

Dave got it right in a zero wager situation, so perhaps that is confirmation he did not know the Friday FJ! clue?

Alex said the TOC will replay next week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex said the TOC will replay next week.

:mrgreen:
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Strange. I can't put my finger on it but I've got the feeling I've seen this clue before. :D --Bob
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,800
47 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Craig T. Nelson Mandela; Ron Howard; loggerheads (DD); clam digging

My man! Dave put the hammer down at the end of DJ! to put the game away. It didn't matter, as the contestants were served up perhaps the easiest FJ! of the season, but it had to feel good to have a lock two days in a row.

I didn't know that Ron Howard directed Night Shift, but I knew it starred Henry Winkler, so I figured Howard was likely to be the child-star-turned-director. OTOH, I have no idea where I pulled loggerheads from. That was a super-WAG.

Alex's explanation of Literary Title References left something to be desired. Like Neel, I negged with Puzo before realizing that they wanted the character being referenced in the novel's title.

"Clamming" on J! Heh. (I said "clam digging," which I assume would have been accepted.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

FJ! was way too easy, probably the easiest one of the season.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

They can't all be TOC-level, but the "sound familiar" bit turned it into such a gimme that they honestly should've thrown it out and used a different clue. Would it have been gettable from just 'paramnesia'? Maaaayyyybeeee I would've sussed it out at home, but I'll never know. Oh well.

Another strong performance by Dave. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win at least 4.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Despite the runaway I thought that this was a great game with three very good players.

I joined Dave on the Trenton neg to open the game. I would have also joined Dave on not knowing the turtle DD.

The FJ category was one where I probably wouldn't wager to cover from first place in a non-crush game. But wow, what a joke of a clue.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Dave finding DD3 and willing to bet big again with 5K instead of doing once bitten, twice shy gave him just enough to be home free for the 61st clue of the game.
I bet he was glad as hell he made the big bet on DD3 when he saw how easy FJ was. It'll be interesting to see if he continues the pattern on DD wagering, not wanting to lose to another easy final clue. Also, maybe he will loosen up on his final wager tommorow as a result (if he has another runnaway).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The writers should've left off the "sound familiar?" part of the clue to provide some challenge in FJ. Paramnesia was sufficient.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO phytoplankton, and didn't know plankton were algae.

That skyscraper category was completely devoid of TOM. Any reason I should know that $200 was in London? I didn't see a way to figure it out at all.

I knew suricate = meerkat because a dictionary I owned as a kid didn't have "meerkat" listed at all. I found out by accident that it was ONLY listed as "suricate", and "meerkat" didn't even have a "see 'suricate'" entry. This dictionary was published in the mid-1990s, so that seemed like a weirdly glaring omission.

...who the hell is Mr. Incredible?

I literally only needed "paramnesia" to get this right.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Have we ever had a FJ question poll at 100%?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm Have we ever had a FJ question poll at 100%?
Not to my knowledge.

That clue was just asking for trouble. "Sound familiar" does not go with deja vu. It goes with deja entendu. The writers should have used "Look familiar".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Dave finding DD3 and willing to bet big again with 5K instead of doing once bitten, twice shy gave him just enough to be home free for the 61st clue of the game.
I bet he was glad as hell he made the big bet on DD3 when he saw how easy FJ was. It'll be interesting to see if he continues the pattern on DD wagering, not wanting to lose to another easy final clue. Also, maybe he will loosen up on his final wager tommorow as a result (if he has another runnaway).
Neel's 11200 doubled is 22400.
Dave had 22600.
Yes, Dave could have wagered a whopping 1-199 to "loosen up on his final wager."
No more than that though, so a zero is no big deal.
If Dave leads in a closer game I expect no monkey business with his wager and the number will go up accordingly.
If a huge lock game scenario presents itself Dave may recall Alex Jacob doing zero + zero in games 1 & 2 locked and then losing $13,700 in game 3 with a major lead runaway.

I'm thinking there is some kind of 90+ people 100% clue for the weekly poll, but it will have to be cheezguyty to name it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

IMO, all 3 players were wrong because they left the accents off déjà vu

Don't get me started on how many restaurant menus I've seen that get crème brûlée wrong

Fungus was a terrible answer - naturally, I said the same thing even though I knew it made no sense

Went 0/2 for DD in the DJ round :oops:

NHO "Once and Future King"

I thought fast-talker Neil would prompt a "could you repeat that?" from Alex, but it never happened

So D-Day would have been sufficient?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm Have we ever had a FJ question poll at 100%?
Not to my knowledge.
I know I was literally the only person who kept this FJ! from polling 100%
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Algae Whiz (2), History Will Note (4), The Secret of Homonym (2), Funk & Games (2), Skyscraper City (5), The View From the Top (2)
Literary Title References (3), Hit the Beaches (2), Before & After People (3), "Pin"terest (1), Director Cameos (5), The 1917 Silent Parade (5)

Lach Trash: Craig T. Nelson Mandela, Ron Howard

Instaget FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m not a judge, but I wouldn’t take D-Day. I think he was just throwing that in and not saying that was the “real” answer.

A pretty simple FJ. Neel should have kept his mouth shut when Alex said a half-marathon was 13 miles and not added the extra tenth. He was doing fine until then.