Monday, July 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, July 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Too bad we'll never see a game that pits Neel against Jason Sterlacci. If anything, Neel was a faster talker than Jason. Wow!

At the end of DJ, Alex seemed about to mention that the game was a runaway and then changed his sentence in midstream. I was glad for that. I don't like him mentioning this fact in general, but especially when the margin is so close.

I won't be checking the poll box that says, "I would have gotten Monday's FJ without the "sound familiar' TOM." Or maybe I will be checking the box that says I wouldn't have.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:42 pm That skyscraper category was completely devoid of TOM. Any reason I should know that $200 was in London? I didn't see a way to figure it out at all.
The clue mentioned the Gherkin (another word for pickle) which is the famous nickname of this London building

TenPoundHammer wrote:...who the hell is Mr. Incredible?

The second film in the series came out earlier this summer.

(NOTE: These things are well known, but I'm replying in this thread because there may be some who benefit from the pictures and brief explanations. Followup complaints about the obscurity of these non-obscure facts should be made in a different thread.)
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm Have we ever had a FJ question poll at 100%?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:02 pm I'm thinking there is some kind of 90+ people 100% clue for the weekly poll, but it will have to be cheezguyty to name it.
The FJ from the last game of the 2014 Teen Tournament polled at 118/118. There has not been an FJ from a regular-play game to finish at 100% since JBoard has been around.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 pm I’m not a judge, but I wouldn’t take D-Day. I think he was just throwing that in and not saying that was the “real” answer.
It never occurred to me to give the date. It's the common name for the event, and it wasn't a dates category... I always take Alex's utterance of an alternate response to mean that it's correct.
Considering recent show practice I was surprised Alex called BMS for "Corleone"...Wouldn't they have had to accept "Michael" as well? The book is about how he reaches that position. I hope that's not a spoiler for anybody... :roll:
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 pm Too bad we'll never see a game that pits Neel against Jason Sterlacci. If anything, Neel was a faster talker than Jason. Wow!
I thought of a hypothetical game between Neel, Niki Peters, and Matt Jackson. There'd be enough time left over for Alex to ruminate at length on the virtues of the muskox!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Dave plays the game very well and has beaten some solid competition. It's been a pleasure to watch him the last two shows and I'd be surprised/disappointed if he doesn't end up in the ToC when all is said and done.

Agree with others that the "sound familiar" part made this a dead giveaway; I kind of hope this polls at 100% LOL. Probably would have figured out paramnesia anyway.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What a magnificent DD3 wager 8-) . Enough for the runaway if he can hoover up the rest of the clues, and enough to keep the lead if he misses the DD3. But then again, it cost him a big payday because a small lead at 15K would double up nicely.

Waiting to see how Linear Gnome did on the suricate clue :lol: I actually have to count it as a miss because I couldn't get Math Professor out of my brain. In 33 years, the J! writers have to bring back a lot of clues.

I think there was enough to get FJ without the "familiar" TOM, but it's hard to un-factor that and figure it out. It made it easy to tell.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 pm
I think there was enough to get FJ without the "familiar" TOM, but it's hard to un-factor that and figure it out. It made it easy to tell.
FWIW, my mind was already starting to settle on the correct answer before I read the last few words of the clue. I believe it would poll >75% without that help. EDIT: But French phrases is wheelhouse for me, so I might not be the best prognosticator here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wouldn’t have known it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:42 pm That skyscraper category was completely devoid of TOM. Any reason I should know that $200 was in London? I didn't see a way to figure it out at all.
The clue mentioned the Gherkin (another word for pickle) which is the famous nickname of this London building

Never heard of it before.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:...who the hell is Mr. Incredible?

The second film in the series came out earlier this summer.
Ah, never saw the first one. I usually find Pixar too saccharine.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 pm What a magnificent DD3 wager 8-) . Enough for the runaway if he can hoover up the rest of the clues, and enough to keep the lead if he misses the DD3. But then again, it cost him a big payday because a small lead at 15K would double up nicely.
A lead at 15k or 22k is going to lead to the same payday if his opponent still has 11k. Or say he gets the 5k DD wrong and then ends up with a narrow lead at 12k-11k...still the same payday!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 pm Waiting to see how Linear Gnome did on the suricate clue :lol: I actually have to count it as a miss because I couldn't get Math Professor out of my brain. In 33 years, the J! writers have to bring back a lot of clues.
Thanks for the shout-out. :D Indeed, I was well-prepared to respond to that particular clue. (Just in case anyone is missing any of the pertinent information: I had a Daily Double on a very similar clue in my game, and it was the only response I got wrong. That's also the derivation of my avatar.)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was just talking about loggerheads earlier today since I live along the SC coast. It’s a pleasure watching Donnie Baseball play! Yep, easiest FJ of the season.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:12 am Ah, never saw the first one. I usually find Pixar too saccharine.
Have you seen Up?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

threearruda wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 pm Dave plays the game very well and has beaten some solid competition. It's been a pleasure to watch him the last two shows and I'd be surprised/disappointed if he doesn't end up in the ToC when all is said and done.
Considering who's sitting in the bullpen waiting to come out Wednesday and Thursday, I'd be impressed if Dave makes it to 5 wins -- and immediately suggest that Mark Barrett label him Gold, regardless of win count, if he qualifies for the ToC.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:12 am Ah, never saw the first one. I usually find Pixar too saccharine.
Have you seen Up?...
Yeah, Pixar is pretty much the opposite of saccharine.

As for FJ, I guess I'm the only one who has never heard of paramnesia - if it hadn't been for the "sound familiar," I might not have gotten it. I really don't believe I've ever seen or heard "paramnesia" in any context so I'm curious how it was so commonly known by everyone else.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 am As for FJ, I guess I'm the only one who has never heard of paramnesia - if it hadn't been for the "sound familiar," I might not have gotten it. I really don't believe I've ever seen or heard "paramnesia" in any context so I'm curious how it was so commonly known by everyone else.
I feel like, without "sound familiar?" the worst that could happen is that someone breaks down the word to "par-amnesia" rather than "para-mnesia," making the word about forgetting instead of remembering. But even then, you're still coming up with a French phrase about memory, and outside of Proust, how many of those are there?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 am As for FJ, I guess I'm the only one who has never heard of paramnesia - if it hadn't been for the "sound familiar," I might not have gotten it. I really don't believe I've ever seen or heard "paramnesia" in any context so I'm curious how it was so commonly known by everyone else.
I feel like, without "sound familiar?" the worst that could happen is that someone breaks down the word to "par-amnesia" rather than "para-mnesia," making the word about forgetting instead of remembering. But even then, you're still coming up with a French phrase about memory, and outside of Proust, how many of those are there?
Ok: French-phrased phenomenon - which I guess "amnesia" points to something about memory but was this really the easiest FJ of the season? I think could probably find a dozen that were much easier - and more direct. Although I do feel a bit like I'm suffering from amnesia since everyone else thought it was so easy. :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 am
Have you seen Up?...
Maybe it's just how I perceive them, because most of their movies seem specifically formulated to make audiences have a sad.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 am
Have you seen Up?...
Maybe it's just how I perceive them, because most of their movies seem specifically formulated to make audiences have a sad.
We're getting far afield (this started with something about The Incredibles, right?), but the word you're looking for is poignant.