Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 pm
Knew Joan Didion at one time.
The first I really heard of her (had probably heard her name before) was when she published The Year of Magical Thinking, right after the deaths of her husband and daughter (the book was about her life after his death; her daughter died before it was published), and besides the tragedy of it, I was struck by her daughter's unusual name, which made this clue an easy get for me. (I found it odd that Alex pronounced Quintana Roo Dunne's name differently from how he pronounces the Mexican state after which she was named.)

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 pm
48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves; Walnuts; Marc Chagall; Arles; Tightrope Walker; Freetown; (Managua); (Way)

Grozny not a stumper? :shock:

Knew Joan Didion at one time.
i agree...especially since freetown was a triple stumper

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Steppenwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm
I would have to side with TPH on this one, in thinking that 'Straight to # 1', at least to me, does not imply that it necessarily debuted at # 1. I would interpret it as meaning it had a fairly rapid rise up the charts, and did not stay at the same position or slip back down the charts at any point before reaching # 1.

A weak analogy would be if my wife told me to come straight home after work. That does not mean that she is asking me to be home instantaneously after stepping out of the office door. It means do not make any stops or detours along the way.
So if you and your wife live at Number 1 Billboard Lane, are you doing what she asked if you make a couple of quick stops at Number 6 and Number 2? (Oh yes, we know about those. And may I remind you that you are under oath?)

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Steppenwolf »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:55 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm
I would have to side with TPH on this one, in thinking that 'Straight to # 1', at least to me, does not imply that it necessarily debuted at # 1. I would interpret it as meaning it had a fairly rapid rise up the charts, and did not stay at the same position or slip back down the charts at any point before reaching # 1.

A weak analogy would be if my wife told me to come straight home after work. That does not mean that she is asking me to be home instantaneously after stepping out of the office door. It means do not make any stops or detours along the way.
That is indeed a weak analogy, being that it is physically impossible to come home from work instantly (if you don't work at home), but not impossible for a song to become #1 instantly (enough) upon release. Moreover, isn't appearing at a lower position on a chart before becoming #1 tantamount to making a stop on the way home?
Not in my view. My analogy would consider appearing at a lower position on a chart before becoming # 1 to be where, supposing I left work on 40th Street (for the top 40 analogy) at 5:00 PM, I passed 18th Street at 5:10 PM, 4th Street at 5:20 PM, and got home to 1st Street at 5:25 PM.

I'm not saying that my interpretation of what they meant isn't open for debate. I'm just don't think it's 'unequivocal', as OntarioQuizzer stated. If I heard someone talking about a new hire at Microsoft saying 'he/she is going straight to the top', I'm not going to assume they mean that by next week they're going to be replacing Bill Gates. The English language has lots of ambiguous phrases, and I think 'straight to' is one of them.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Steppenwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:55 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm
I would have to side with TPH on this one, in thinking that 'Straight to # 1', at least to me, does not imply that it necessarily debuted at # 1. I would interpret it as meaning it had a fairly rapid rise up the charts, and did not stay at the same position or slip back down the charts at any point before reaching # 1.

A weak analogy would be if my wife told me to come straight home after work. That does not mean that she is asking me to be home instantaneously after stepping out of the office door. It means do not make any stops or detours along the way.
That is indeed a weak analogy, being that it is physically impossible to come home from work instantly (if you don't work at home), but not impossible for a song to become #1 instantly (enough) upon release. Moreover, isn't appearing at a lower position on a chart before becoming #1 tantamount to making a stop on the way home?
Not in my view. My analogy would consider appearing at a lower position on a chart before becoming # 1 to be where, supposing I left work on 40th Street (for the top 40 analogy) at 5:00 PM, I passed 18th Street at 5:10 PM, 4th Street at 5:20 PM, and got home to 1st Street at 5:25 PM.

I'm not saying that my interpretation of what they meant isn't open for debate. I'm just don't think it's 'unequivocal', as OntarioQuizzer stated. If I heard someone talking about a new hire at Microsoft saying 'he/she is going straight to the top', I'm not going to assume they mean that by next week they're going to be replacing Bill Gates. The English language has lots of ambiguous phrases, and I think 'straight to' is one of them.
"Straight to [destination]" means arriving at the destination with maximal immediacy. In the case of songs on the Billboard chart, "straight to #1" has to mean debuting in that position, as that is the maximal immediacy with which they can arrive there.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm
"Straight to [destination]" means arriving at the destination with maximal immediacy.
Exactly. If I go straight to the top of the Empire State Building, I cannot stop on 8 floors in between.

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Steppenwolf »

econgator wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm
"Straight to [destination]" means arriving at the destination with maximal immediacy.
Exactly. If I go straight to the top of the Empire State Building, I cannot stop on 8 floors in between.
I could not find the source for your definition of ‘straight to’ using the term ‘maximum immediacy’, but if such is the case, I see your point. I have always thought it meant something more like ‘reasonable immediacy’.
If my boss asks me if I came straight to work, I am going to answer yes even if I stopped at 8 stoplights on the way, or drove 55 mph in a 60 mph zone.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Steppenwolf wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:03 pm
econgator wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm
"Straight to [destination]" means arriving at the destination with maximal immediacy.
Exactly. If I go straight to the top of the Empire State Building, I cannot stop on 8 floors in between.
I could not find the source for your definition of ‘straight to’ using the term ‘maximum immediacy’, but if such is the case, I see your point. I have always thought it meant something more like ‘reasonable immediacy’.
If my boss asks me if I came straight to work, I am going to answer yes even if I stopped at 8 stoplights on the way, or drove 55 mph in a 60 mph zone.
I mean, you can always define words in sensible ways that haven't been used before. (A well-written, Google-thwarting HQ question may do that from time to time.) If you want me to use words that have already been used, very well: "straight" as an adverb can be defined as "directly and immediately"; therefore, a song that goes straight to #1 goes to #1 directly and immediately. If it charts below #1 before reaching #1, it has not gone there directly or immediately.

User avatar
overkill94
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by overkill94 »

Damn, I thought coming to this board would validate my memory.

Ron looks, sounds, and acts exactly the same as a fairly recent contestant (within the last few years). I assumed it was at least his brother but when I searched the j-archives no one with the same last name came up. IIRC, this doppelganger even won a few games before exiting. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?!?!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11049
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

overkill94 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am
Damn, I thought coming to this board would validate my memory.

Ron looks, sounds, and acts exactly the same as a fairly recent contestant (within the last few years). I assumed it was at least his brother but when I searched the j-archives no one with the same last name came up. IIRC, this doppelganger even won a few games before exiting. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?!?!
Ron won two games on Sports J! if you watched that show.

Post Reply