LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:45 am Len.
Lem.
Len.
Lem.
Len.
Lem.

...Lem.

Submit.

Dammitalltohell.
NHO Len!

I was feeling pretty good yesterday but assigned 3 points to Dunces and tied 4(4)-4(2) :cry:

My opponent's defense was impeccable
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I gave perfectly bad defense to my opponent: business/econ and literature were two of his three worst subjects, but he only got WD-40 and A Confederacy of Dunces, and so he ended up with five points. But I got 9(6), so no biggie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Dunces from the discussion here when it was a FJ.

I lost my Math match, but won the other.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

In the MiniLeague of Math 2, I currently have a "perfect" defensive efficiency of 0.000. I also have zero unforced points allowed. The people I was playing against went 9(6) and 0(0), the latter not a forfeit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

One of these days I'm going to get dinged for Koningsberg, then I will finally remember how to spell it.
(I know I did the same for https://learnedleague.com/question.php?74&17&3 and it worked then too...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:39 pm One of these days I'm going to get dinged for Koningsberg, then I will finally remember how to spell it.
(I know I did the same for https://learnedleague.com/question.php?74&17&3 and it worked then too...)
You got credit for that spelling? That's a bridge too far! ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

So far I've only missed one question in the One-Hit Wonders ML*, and it was from changing George Lazenby to Timothy Dalton. My problem there was knowing of Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig as the famous ones, and Dalton and Lazenby as the obscure ones, and not really having a good idea for number of movies for the pre-Brosnan actors. At least I squeaked by 8(5)-7(5) in that match.

*This statement should not be construed as a comment on my performance in the currently active match.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm So far I've only missed one question in the One-Hit Wonders ML*, and it was from changing George Lazenby to Timothy Dalton. My problem there was knowing of Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig as the famous ones, and Dalton and Lazenby as the obscure ones, and not really having a good idea for number of movies for the pre-Brosnan actors. At least I squeaked by 8(5)-7(5) in that match.

*This statement should not be construed as a comment on my performance in the currently active match.
Dalton did both of the "kill" Bond films (A View to a Kill, Licence to Kill). (Plus he's done plenty of stuff since.) Lazenby was the one-hit wonder.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:02 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm So far I've only missed one question in the One-Hit Wonders ML*, and it was from changing George Lazenby to Timothy Dalton. My problem there was knowing of Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig as the famous ones, and Dalton and Lazenby as the obscure ones, and not really having a good idea for number of movies for the pre-Brosnan actors. At least I squeaked by 8(5)-7(5) in that match.

Dalton did both of the "kill" Bond films (A View to a Kill, Licence to Kill). (Plus he's done plenty of stuff since.) Lazenby was the one-hit wonder.
It's not nice to give deliberate misinformation to throw off the competition.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:21 pm

To wit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Daylights
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:39 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:21 pm

To wit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Daylights
Is it better or worse if I say it wasn't deliberate? I knew Dalton did two, and I knew there were two with "kill" in the name, and my brain conflated those two facts.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 pm Is it better or worse if I say it wasn't deliberate? I knew Dalton did two, and I knew there were two with "kill" in the name, and my brain conflated those two facts.
Now I'm pondering Dalton in AVtaK... On the one hand, he'd bring much needed gravitas and doesn't look like a deadite...on the other hand, AVtaK is still a resounding tied for #18th with TWINE and DAD (Pre-Craig Era, so...last.)

When Chris Walken and Grace Jones can't save you, it's not really acting that's the weak link...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 pm
teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 pm Is it better or worse if I say it wasn't deliberate? I knew Dalton did two, and I knew there were two with "kill" in the name, and my brain conflated those two facts.
Now I'm pondering Dalton in AVtaK... On the one hand, he'd bring much needed gravitas and doesn't look like a deadite...on the other hand, AVtaK is still a resounding tied for #18th with TWINE and DAD (Pre-Craig Era, so...last.)

When Chris Walken and Grace Jones can't save you, it's not really acting that's the weak link...
This post reminded me of the pub quiz question asking which two English words can be formed from the initials of a James Bond film title.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 pm

This post reminded me of the pub quiz question asking which two English words can be formed from the initials of a James Bond film title.
Well, if it has to initials (plural).... Otherwise, there's 4 (or 3 if you rule out slang).
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:20 am

Well, if it has to initials (plural).... Otherwise, there's 4 (or 3 if you rule out slang).
I'm still only counting two...

Back on topic, I'm doing surprisingly well in One Hit Wonders. One expected loss, but clawing my way back up.
Math has reached the "Well...let's just hope to avoid the 0(0)..." point.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 pm This post reminded me of the pub quiz question asking which two English words can be formed from the initials of a James Bond film title.
That's a brain buster! For those of you who just found this, didn't look upstream for the answer, and want to take a hack, here's a clue...
Spoiler
Both of them are Brosnan movies.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

acthomas wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 pm This post reminded me of the pub quiz question asking which two English words can be formed from the initials of a James Bond film title.
That's a brain buster! For those of you who just found this, didn't look upstream for the answer, and want to take a hack, here's a clue...
Spoiler
Both of them are Brosnan movies.
So you need to use all the initials from the title? Otherwise I get
Spoiler
moss and ohm from On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
Volante

Post by Volante »

Also, very very annoyed at myself for missing this, though I saw it well before yesterday. I even remembered some of the lyrics. It's worth the shout out:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:55 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:20 am

I'm still only counting two...
Octopussy and Goldfinger.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 pm Octopussy and Goldfinger.
Wouldn't have considered single letters at all...at least not those two.