Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Storyteller
Contributor

Re: Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Storyteller »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:28 pm I don't see how "Allemagne" is a classical music term. Google and Wikipedia are of no help. Explain?
It's "allemande".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Storyteller wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:28 pm I don't see how "Allemagne" is a classical music term. Google and Wikipedia are of no help. Explain?
It's "allemande".
Ah, that explains it. That was the only NHOI in the category, and I found it far more obscure then "basso profundo".
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Maybe this? Didn't see the show, so not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allemande
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

disappointed in the defunct sports teams category...was excited for it when they showed it, but it didn't live up to my expectations....got all of them right, but it was boring...no wnba, no cfl, no soccer teams, no arena football...too many baseball that were easy without having any sports knowledge
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 pm "This wasn't a slow round, why did we run out of.....oh. ffs."

They made a second Basic Instinct? I'm almost afraid to look it up. That category also managed to remind me of the hours of my life spent watching Wild Wild West and Mommie Dearest that I'll never get back. Thanks for that, J! writers.

So, 1854. Too late to be the last survivor of the first battle of 1812, whatever that was (plus 1812 was used earlier), gotta be the Revolution -> Battle of Lexington, done.

That initial 'slant' ruling...sometimes I wonder about these judges.

Bring on the SHC.
it is actually not too bad...one of only like 20 movies i have seen that have been released since 2000....not close to the 1st movie, but still pretty decent...takes place in london, uk
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 pm The last clue was to identify Shirley Chisholm and nobody rang in. Then Rick gets credit for slant.

I guessed Barbara Jordan. I wonder if Rick had an idea of who it might be but clammed since it still (at the time) leaves him in second. But if he gets it right, he has the lead in FJ but loses on the TS.

Another Concord here. I guess since Lexington is listed first in the pairing, that gives a clue it was the way to go.

Thanks for explaining your question, Jerry. I get confused and say dumb things at home, can’t imagine how I would do under real pressure.

I was so upset Nancy Pelosi was on I will boycott the show for six weeks.
is she that bad? had never heard of her before
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 pm
I think you're missing the joke here. It's a joke about how the show will be in reruns for the next six weeks.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 pm
I think you're missing the joke here. It's a joke about how the show will be in reruns for the next six weeks.
i got that...he could have gone with several things that "upset" him do go with that joke..but he chose her
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Nancy Pelosi why won't you go away? I will give her credit though for being a decent clue reader unlike the other woman politician (I can't remember her name).

I said the Alamo for FJ!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 pm
i got that...he could have gone with several things that "upset" him do go with that joke..but he chose her
There are about a dozen posts on the J Facebook page complaining about her being on. I was poking fun at that.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Can't believe I fell for Bunker Hill as well on FJ :x
Re Nancy Pelosi, was Maxine Waters not available? :twisted:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 pm They made a second Basic Instinct? I'm almost afraid to look it up. That category also managed to remind me of the hours of my life spent watching Wild Wild West and Mommie Dearest that I'll never get back. Thanks for that, J! writers.
Might I suggest checking out The Wild Wild West? It's much better.
bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 pm Nancy Pelosi why won't you go away? I will give her credit though for being a decent clue reader unlike the other woman politician (I can't remember her name).

I said the Alamo for FJ!
Seconded.

I leave to the audience what, exactly, I'm seconding. :D

Closing FJ record: 179 / 230
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

It's amazing how the writers totally missed that the almost too obvious answer of "slant" worked perfectly for that clue, even having the right letters. Just kinda' weird how that happens sometimes, trying to be clever with a semi-tough clue, and totally overlooking the really easy answer that also works :lol:.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Tough way to end a season with a clumsy clue syntax. I saw 1854, not the Civil War, then thought "battle that started a war - Fort Sumter!". I totally ignored my own filter. In general, I don't think of battles as being the "start" of a war - even though Pearl Harbor is an obvious exception. WW I started with an execution of an Archduke or something. Vietnam, who the hell knows. I remember Lexington and Concord, but what makes that the official beginning vs. the Boston Massacre or multiple other catalysts?

Did the writers seriously think the contestants could name Shirley Chisolm from the cartoon caricature of a painting? First black congresswoman should suffice.

I'm glad they restored the "slant" money. I don't even waste oxygen on anagram clues to check if they fit the hidden word in the clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Reassuring to learn that Lexington and Concord would have been accepted. I didn't want an FJ fail to end the season (though my best streak of the season ended last night... :evil: ), and I was too unsure to stop at Lexington, I doubt I've ever heard them uncoupled. battlefields.org (The American Battlefield Trust) among others, treats them as one. Makes sense to me.. :D
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Travel Hawaii (4), Quick Books (4), Quotable Women (4), The Worst Picture Razzie (3), Sounds Like It to Me (3), Keep on Truckin' (1)
Classical Musical Terms (1), Around Body (0), Defunct Sports Franchises (5), Norse Gods (2), Translation (0), U.S. Congress with Nancy Pelosi (4)

Lach Trash: Shirley Chisholm

You played a pretty good game, Jerry.

I arrived at the Revolutionary War after remembering that its oldest veterans were living around the time of the Civil War, and then I reminded myself that Lexington was before Concord. They're usually mentioned together as davey said, but I didn't want to chance it.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm Tough way to end a season with a clumsy clue syntax. I saw 1854, not the Civil War, then thought "battle that started a war - Fort Sumter!". I totally ignored my own filter. In general, I don't think of battles as being the "start" of a war - even though Pearl Harbor is an obvious exception. WW I started with an execution of an Archduke or something. Vietnam, who the hell knows. I remember Lexington and Concord, but what makes that the official beginning vs. the Boston Massacre or multiple other catalysts?
First battle of World War I - Battle of Liège
First battle of the (American) Vietnam War - Battle of la Drang
I do wonder if more men marched at his funeral than fought with him helped anybody...
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm id the writers seriously think the contestants could name Shirley Chisolm from the cartoon caricature of a painting? First black congresswoman should suffice.
It sure helped me. I thought it might be Barbara Jordan but the likeness made the identification easy...
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm Tough way to end a season with a clumsy clue syntax. I saw 1854, not the Civil War, then thought "battle that started a war - Fort Sumter!". I totally ignored my own filter. In general, I don't think of battles as being the "start" of a war - even though Pearl Harbor is an obvious exception. WW I started with an execution of an Archduke or something. Vietnam, who the hell knows. I remember Lexington and Concord, but what makes that the official beginning vs. the Boston Massacre or multiple other catalysts?
First battle of World War I - Battle of Liège
First battle of the (American) Vietnam War - Battle of la Drang
I do wonder if more men marched at his funeral than fought with him helped anybody...
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm id the writers seriously think the contestants could name Shirley Chisolm from the cartoon caricature of a painting? First black congresswoman should suffice.
It sure helped me. I thought it might be Barbara Jordan but the likeness made the identification easy...
Same here with thinking that it was Barbara Jordan before the painting was revealed.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm Can't believe I fell for Bunker Hill as well on FJ :x
Re Nancy Pelosi, was Maxine Waters not available? :twisted:
never heard of her either
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm
mxc_takeshi wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:26 amIt sure helped me. I thought it might be Barbara Jordan but the likeness made the identification easy...
davey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 am Same here with thinking that it was Barbara Jordan before the painting was revealed.
Kudos to you guys. In the stone age, newspapers contained very few pictures - once I googled her image, the painting was more realistic than I thought. I must have mixed her likeness up with a generic black woman - maybe it was Valerie Jarett :oops: . I really like the quotation ascribed to her. I'm embarrassed that I couldn't ID her from the clue text. What a horrible time in our history to want to go back to. :cry:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.