Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

Terrible brain freeze today. I may or may not have mixed up Namath and Montana - I'm afraid to look. :(
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Magna wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 pm Terrible brain freeze today. I may or may not have mixed up Namath and Montana - I'm afraid to look. :(
I hate to tell you this, but I think you did.
Douglas Squasoni
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:18 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:09 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm It's cold comfort to learn that I'm not the only player today to misspell "Hoochie Koo."
Over/under 65% correct spellings? For the record, I got Hoochie right (this is possibly the silliest thing I've ever typed), but spelled Koo with a C.
I typed out various combinations of Hoochie/Hoochy and Koo/Coo, and nothing looked right. I think I went with Coo.
I said "Goochie Goo" since that's what I've heard more often than not when I've heard that song. Then again, I haven't heard that song in a while...

I'm just glad that I was at least on the right track and that, as a whole, my score today wasn't as abysmal as yesterday's.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm The Jets are life. Thou shalt not take Namath's name in vain, or confuse him for anyone else. Think of it as commandment #11.
Spoiler
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:33 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:58 pm In other news, I mixed up Joe Namath and Joe Montana
:evil: :evil: :evil: You and I can never be friends.
I can understand enjoying displays of athletic skill and strategy being put to the test, but this sort of accompanying tribalism is completely alien to me.
The Jets are life. Thou shalt not take Namath's name in vain, or confuse him for anyone else. Think of it as commandment #11. (And if it wasn't obvious, that first post was 100% tongue-in-cheek. I'm happy if a non-sports fan even recognizes either name, let alone come within a transposition of getting 3 right like you did.)
This Chiefs fan takes much cold comfort from the haplessness of the Jets and the Giants every season :lol: . Which is about all the comfort we get as Chiefs fans :( . It wasn't even called the SuperBowl or used Roman numerals the last time KC was in the game. Although they did famously play the first one (and lost).
A huge TOM in that question was the "guarantee". Broadway Joe famously trash talked before the game, back when that wasn't quite a thing and just made bulletin board material for the opponents.
As to Joe's actual ability - probably not in the top 100 all time. But just throwing a forward pass was still a new concept back in the days of legal pass interference on every play.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am
rjaguar3 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 am Moloch was the correct response to the question about firstborn sacrifice. It was only after I posted that I realized Baal would be negbait. My apologies.
Replay forthcoming?
I will be discussing this with the other editors.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So far, a lot of football, food, mythology and kid lit have been kind to me. That first football question had me for a moment however because I was pretty sure it was Namath/Jets but I couldn't quite remember the Colts - probably because I was thinking Baltimore and it's now been so long since they left (boo!) that the connection didn't connect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was able to recall 11 of the 12 Days of Christmas. Six were out because I was sure I knew their number. Of the other five none sounded right for fitting the song for ten, so I clammed. The one I could not remember was indeed the 10th day. Only two points not gained.

I've mentioned previously how I'm hit and miss on world capitals. A Niger/Nigeria connection for the river name origin looked good to me and their capitals were two I happened to know. The distance on the other hand? A problem. :oops:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 am I've mentioned previously how I'm hit and miss on world capitals. A Niger/Nigeria connection for the river name origin looked good to me and their capitals were two I happened to know. The distance on the other hand? A problem. :oops:
After I submitted my answers, reading yours made me very nervous.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Totally misread the African capital question. I was thinking the capitals had to be named for same river, not the countries they are from. Clammed because I couldn't think of city names that would be named for same river, but if I thought countries, I would have gotten that easily. 12 points down the drain.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

D'oh - completely forgot the category for the first city - and was wrong on the merits as well. That should be a double penalty. :oops:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

rjaguar3 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 am
9021amyers wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am
rjaguar3 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 am Moloch was the correct response to the question about firstborn sacrifice. It was only after I posted that I realized Baal would be negbait. My apologies.
Replay forthcoming?
I will be discussing this with the other editors.
Why would this need a replay? Baal never demanded human sacrifice.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

That was brutal - definitely a big bowl of CLAM chowder with some incorrect responses sprinkled on top for spice.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 am Totally misread the African capital question. I was thinking the capitals had to be named for same river, not the countries they are from. Clammed because I couldn't think of city names that would be named for same river, but if I thought countries, I would have gotten that easily. 12 points down the drain.
Same here although I just went with the two capitals thinking maybe their names changed over the years. The sentence probably could have been constructed a little more clearly - but it's often the case in writing that something sounds plain and unambiguous -- until someone else points out the ambiguity.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

10 clams a-clamming; I can never remember what order the pipers, drummers, lords and ladies come in :lol:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I'm not requesting a RQ for this, but just a general note: the Twelve Days of Christmas questions are fraught with problems, unless you specify a version. In some traditional versions, the tenth-day gift is ladies dancing, pipers piping, or drummers drumming. This version by Perry Como, for example, has 12 drummers drumming, 11 lords a-leaping, 10 ladies dancing, and 9 pipers piping.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 am Totally misread the African capital question. I was thinking the capitals had to be named for same river, not the countries they are from. Clammed because I couldn't think of city names that would be named for same river, but if I thought countries, I would have gotten that easily. 12 points down the drain.
I had problems with the wording too. I immediately came up with the answer on a quick read (if I'm not mistaken there was a final jeopardy this season or last season about this), but then when I read the question again, I had the same wording issue, and got totally confused thinking the capitals had to be named for the river. When that made no sense at all I considering clamming, but since I couldn't come up with any capitals named for a river, I read the sentence several more times until I decided that the "named after" part could still refer to the countries.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 pm I'm not requesting a RQ for this, but just a general note: the Twelve Days of Christmas questions are fraught with problems, unless you specify a version. In some traditional versions, the tenth-day gift is ladies dancing, pipers piping, or drummers drumming. This version by Perry Como, for example, has 12 drummers drumming, 11 lords a-leaping, 10 ladies dancing, and 9 pipers piping.
That's good to know. I don't feel quite so stupid now.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Close but no bananas on my answer of ‘legion, instead of ‘myriad’. It works except legion is 3,000 to 6,000 soldiers.

I’m very impressed with the high get rate on Palau... congrats to those that got that! Apparently all these Jeopardy! hopefuls are paying attention to the advice to learn those world capitals.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Wow, I'm doing much better than I did last year, but it is probably short lived. Last year there were only a couple of people below me that participated most days, and the other ones that were lower than me were mostly people who gave up after only entering a few days. Pasta is a wheelhouse area for me, and it was in the second group so I got lots of points. I clammed on the last clue, because I just wasn't positive about penne and the negative points for an incorrect answer made me doubt myself because I want to have a personal best day. Today I'm back to getting the first two questions right in both rounds,which don't add many points, but I'm usually at peace with that.

Woof, I really enjoyed your subject questions. You gave me just enough TOM to work along with the translations.

I also enjoyed the Joe themed questions. I got them all right, and I had to sit and try to remember the time frame for each one. I was careful and took my time. I did reallgt well, but that was in the firts group of questions, and I ended up getting my2 low rate questions for the second group.

Well for my last entry for the weay I was back to my usual 1-2 answers for the first grooup, and the 1-2 answers for the second group, which is my typical entry, but I'm hoping this year I can really get a couple of other answers.