This just in! New season of Millionaire (2018) seeks contestants

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: This just in! New season of Millionaire (2018) seeks contestants

Post by ElendilPickle »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:09 am I made it through both Skype interviews but looks like I didn't get the call this time. Oh well :)
There’s still time! I auditioned this weekend at TCONA and the casting person told me, “We’re going to try and get you on this season so keep your schedule clear”, then they had me fill out all the paperwork. I bet she says that to all the boys...
He's right. There's still time. Not much, but they are still calling people.
It may be just as well anyway since I'm in the jury duty pool for September.
Taping stops around the end of August.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 pm
You're in a jury pool for an entire month?
Our jury duty terms are for four months. I was summoned for the first time for May 1-August 31. My experience so far is that they give you a reporting date a week or two in the future and there's usually a plea bargain or settlement the day before, at which point they move back your reporting date. I haven't actually had to report yet, though I think my group reported on a day I had been excused for a prior commitment.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Auditioned at TCONA 8. Filled out all the legal papers on the spot. Got an email today asking me to write the personal bio / fun facts application. I can’t imagine they still don’t have all their contestants nailed down for the final 2 taping weeks, but we’ll see what happens!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm Auditioned at TCONA 8. Filled out all the legal papers on the spot. Got an email today asking me to write the personal bio / fun facts application. I can’t imagine they still don’t have all their contestants nailed down for the final 2 taping weeks, but we’ll see what happens!
Best of luck! It seems clear they are looking for trivia skill - which is refreshing for tv shows (j excepted). Skillful players make for good tv, and they'll make room if they like you.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 pm
You're in a jury pool for an entire month?
Our jury duty terms are for four months. I was summoned for the first time for May 1-August 31. My experience so far is that they give you a reporting date a week or two in the future and there's usually a plea bargain or settlement the day before, at which point they move back your reporting date. I haven't actually had to report yet, though I think my group reported on a day I had been excused for a prior commitment.
Ours are for one day (unless you're selected for a trial, then maybe 2). I like that better.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, I got an email at 5:30 PM today asking me to tape Millionaire at 8:30 AM THIS THURSDAY!?!

They said they've been trying to call me since last week, but of course they got my number wrong and didn't think to try my work number or email. AND they gave me zero flexibility on the tape date. UGH

Obviously I'm excited and not entirely surprised (at TCONA they told me "clear your schedule"), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to line up a plus one. Anyone interested and available?

Sadly, this closes the door on Jeopardy! for awhile, but after 13 months I'm ready to get out of the damn pool!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 pm Well, I got an email at 5:30 PM today asking me to tape Millionaire at 8:30 AM THIS THURSDAY!?!

They said they've been trying to call me since last week, but of course they got my number wrong and didn't think to try my work number or email. AND they gave me zero flexibility on the tape date. UGH

Obviously I'm excited and not entirely surprised (at TCONA they told me "clear your schedule"), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to line up a plus one. Anyone interested and available?

Sadly, this closes the door on Jeopardy! for awhile, but after 13 months I'm ready to get out of the damn pool!
Congrats! Best of luck. Sorry, I can't help out on the adding.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can now say that I taped on Friday. The whole thing was great fun. I'll be announcing my airdate when they tell me what it is (10 days in advance).
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Good luck, both retro-active and pro-, to once and future contestants!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 pm Well, I got an email at 5:30 PM today asking me to tape Millionaire at 8:30 AM THIS THURSDAY!?!

That's tempting, but I can't afford another trip to Vegas right now. Major congratulations and go win it all!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Gratz, Andy. Break a leg!

morbeedo: Would that I could, but I just Plus One'd in July and I can't get away this week. Hope you can make it work out: it is a lot of fun.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

It is really encouraging that Millionaire is seeking great trivia players like this. It seemed like the show was scooping up any eligible contestants at TCONA (change your residency rules please!). The producers have come around to the idea that impressive feats of knowledge make for good tv, not just outrageous facial expressions and exuberant celebrations. There is a reason we watch the best athletes, and it isn't their touchdown dances.

Congrats Alietr! I'm adding Millionaire to my pvr schedule so I can cheer everyone on.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Update: I have 2 people lined up for the Plus One and both are coming with me to Vegas. Thanks all

TBH, I don't know how well I'll do on Millionaire. Jeopardy! is more my speed, whereas Millionaire is more about pop culture / random facts. I'm going in with the expectation of winning $5,000 - anything more would be great!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm Update: I have 2 people lined up for the Plus One and both are coming with me to Vegas. Thanks all

TBH, I don't know how well I'll do on Millionaire. Jeopardy! is more my speed, whereas Millionaire is more about pop culture / random facts. I'm going in with the expectation of winning $5,000 - anything more would be great!
If you haven't been doing the trivia phone apps like HQ Trivia, Cash Show and all the others, I'd suggest that you start. Millionaire is so close in format and content to them that they provide great training.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Congratulations and retro good luck to alietr! And congratulations and for-real good luck to morbeedo! I agree that it's nice to see TPTB casting actual good trivia players. I wish the show aired in my market--fortunately, some kind soul usually makes the video available.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm Update: I have 2 people lined up for the Plus One and both are coming with me to Vegas. Thanks all

Congrats to you and to alietr as well.. Good luck and retroluck, can't wait to see both of your games air!

If pop culture worries you, try listening to a pop radio station for a few days. I know it can be a dreadful experience but if you're attentive you may pick up some songs/artists and maybe some info about them - Seacrest's American Top 40 is an excellent resource, or at least it was when I stopped listening a few years ago. Pay attention if you have a half-decent morning show, too. Lots of formats are shifting toward pop culture in their morning programming (including country stations :roll:), but I have certainly retained some awful gossip from them over the years.

You may also consider buying a People magazine, or surfing the TV Guide/IMDB website for a few minutes a night. That certainly won't cover everything, but a little prep could spell the difference between having an educated guess or having no idea at all.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

threearruda wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

If pop culture worries you, try listening to a pop radio station for a few days. I know it can be a dreadful experience but if you're attentive you may pick up some songs/artists and maybe some info about them - Seacrest's American Top 40 is an excellent resource, or at least it was when I stopped listening a few years ago. Pay attention if you have a half-decent morning show, too. Lots of formats are shifting toward pop culture in their morning programming (including country stations :roll:), but I have certainly retained some awful gossip from them over the years.

You may also consider buying a People magazine, or surfing the TV Guide/IMDB website for a few minutes a night. That certainly won't cover everything, but a little prep could spell the difference between having an educated guess or having no idea at all.
I tried listening to Seacrest's version and it was unlistenable. Gone are the days of Casey Kasem dispensing anecdotes about every artist on the countdown.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So here’s how my Millionaire taping went today. Showed up at 8:30 AM for the contestant briefings, rehearsal, etc. At 3PM they bumped my entire group - plus one other holdover from yesterday (!!!) - to next week. Upside: I slept horribly last night and I was fading fast, and now I know how everything’s gonna go down when I come back
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 pm So here’s how my Millionaire taping went today. Showed up at 8:30 AM for the contestant briefings, rehearsal, etc. At 3PM they bumped my entire group - plus one other holdover from yesterday (!!!) - to next week. Upside: I slept horribly last night and I was fading fast, and now I know how everything’s gonna go down when I come back
Now I'm glad I didn't get the call. I don't have the money to afford more than one or two days off work and certainly would not have been able to afford two trips to Vegas (to say nothing of the transportation for my +1).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 pm So here’s how my Millionaire taping went today. Showed up at 8:30 AM for the contestant briefings, rehearsal, etc. At 3PM they bumped my entire group - plus one other holdover from yesterday (!!!) - to next week. Upside: I slept horribly last night and I was fading fast, and now I know how everything’s gonna go down when I come back
Now I'm glad I didn't get the call. I don't have the money to afford more than one or two days off work and certainly would not have been able to afford two trips to Vegas (to say nothing of the transportation for my +1).
Right?! And inevitably a few unfortunate souls will get bumped next Thursday into oblivion-to next season or maybe never