Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 pm Just curious -- did others instaget those four-letter words, or was it necessary to brute-force any by going through the alphabet and trying possibilities?
Three of the five were easy for me, but "eave" and "maim" took some mental elbow-grease to call forth.
Everything except eave was a slam dunk thanks-for-the-free-points instaget, but even that only took a few seconds to recall.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 pm Just curious -- did others instaget those four-letter words, or was it necessary to brute-force any by going through the alphabet and trying possibilities?
Three of the five were easy for me, but "eave" and "maim" took some mental elbow-grease to call forth.
Everything except eave was a slam dunk thanks-for-the-free-points instaget, but even that only took a few seconds to recall.
August 7th's 40D: Window shade? (4) :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 pm
August 7th's 40D: Window shade? (4) :D
That's not a very cromulent crossword clue. Even at the limits of eave height, length, and window placement, there's not likely to be 20 minutes of shade contributed by the eave. But - crosswords need to have some poetic license - I much prefer vague clues and common words over that damn Celebes Ox and Charlie Chaplin's wife.

I instagot Neon, Maim, and Eave, but had to run the alphabet to G to get grog and decided not to do it for the feudal clue. If I'm to hold last place, by damn it isn't going to be due to effort! Both categories well written.

edit - :oops: I just noticed the future date on the proposed puzzle clue. never mind! my disdain for 80's style crosswords remains.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

has a link for the standings been posted yet?
Leander

Post by Leander »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am has a link for the standings been posted yet?
There’s a link about halfway down the first page of the site, titled Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018 Standings.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Leander wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am has a link for the standings been posted yet?
There’s a link about halfway down the first page of the site, titled Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018 Standings.
thanx
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

Whoops, I misread the 2-pointer as the "world's first post office issued [a] stamp", rather than "world's first post office[-]issued stamp", and made a huge terrible jump, forgetting he didn't actually create the post office, and didn't go any farther, just assuming that 50 years after his death the U.S. decided to honor him with the first. (I see that the first with him featured was in 1847.)

While the syntax wasn't ideal in the clue, that's still a matter of RTFQ for me.
Last edited by spell4yr on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

As usual, I have to credit The Simpsons for insta-getting today’s 10-pointer.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

What an idiot I am. For the NYC landmark I was coin-flipping between the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower. I didn't really think the Empire State Building was a National Heritage site, but I figured the Freedom Tower was too new to have a replica in Las Vegas.

The Statue of Liberty never even occurred to me.
Teems with quiet fun.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Thanks to just having started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie for getting Queen Victoria, and having read The Devil in the White City for getting Chicago (creepy book, that).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

immaf wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 am What an idiot I am. For the NYC landmark I was coin-flipping between the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower. I didn't really think the Empire State Building was a National Heritage site, but I figured the Freedom Tower was too new to have a replica in Las Vegas.

The Statue of Liberty never even occurred to me.
Statue of Liberty was an instaget for me because that fact came up in one of the events I did at TCONA this weekend (I think quiz bowl).

And yeah, it''s not like the New York New York hotel was likely going to expand to add a Freedom Tower or any other building.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof

Post by Woof »

Bah! I was coin flipping between Ben Franklin and George Washington for the 2-pointer, completely overlooking the fact that the question wasn't limited to American postage stamps.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

re the 15-pointer for R2D2, I'm worried the writer stepped headlong into the Sunni/Shia divide. :|
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

DBear wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 pm re the 15-pointer for R2D2, I'm worried the writer stepped headlong into the Sunni/Shia divide. :|
I was just about to post a similar comment. I had planned to answer Ali but couldn't remember if he was the one named or the putative candidate that led to the split.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

How will the 15-pointer in Islam be scored? Will both Abu Bakr and Ali be accepted? I thought Abu Bakr was the one who was actually elected.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am Bah! I was coin flipping between Ben Franklin and George Washington for the 2-pointer, completely overlooking the fact that the question wasn't limited to American postage stamps.
Same. Looks like we are not the only two either.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

On today's 10-pointer in the postage stamp category, I'm requesting lenient judging. The clue said "Two-word nickname" for the stamp without qualifying whether it was the most common nickname, etc. Most people who guessed gave the most common nickname. But I know I've read other nicknames, especially in older books - including the one that stuck in my head, "inverted airplane". Anyway, because that is a nickname that has been used for it, I'm requesting consideration. :)

Here's one example of it being used (second stamp listed). Here's another one, from the American Philatelist, reporting not long after the stamps had been discovered. And here's a mention from a newspaper's stamp column a couple of years after that. (ETA: the first link is to a listing for a forgery/reproduction of the stamp that sold at auction.)
Last edited by Magna on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am Bah! I was coin flipping between Ben Franklin and George Washington for the 2-pointer, completely overlooking the fact that the question wasn't limited to American postage stamps.
Same. Looks like we are not the only two either.
Yeah. I thought it was a beautiful clue that could be TOM'd out as Ben Franklin over the negbait of George Washington without actually knowing the factoid in the first place. I was proud to remember Ben's connection to the Post Office (not sure if he was the PG) and take the 50/50/90. Instead the answer is basically a YEKIOYD which many boardies seem to know.

I'd venture that not many of the correct answers came as a result of sussing out that the oldest stamp may be from Britain, and that their monarchs are featured, and finally the easy part for boardies is knowing who the monarch was in 1840 something.

A bit undervalued. At least it's only 2 quatloos. This is not criticism of the author or steering committe by any means, it's a very clever clue. It's not Physics (joke from my signature). :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I also see some people answered "Flying Jenny" - let me put in a plea for that too. I've seen that nickname used as well. Here's an example.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 pm I'd venture that not many of the correct answers came as a result of sussing out that the oldest stamp may be from Britain, and that their monarchs are featured, and finally the easy part for boardies is knowing who the monarch was in 1840 something.
Well, for me, when the clue obviously avoided using the word 'American' it had me thinking more globally and the UK just feels like the first country to deal in (contemporary postage) stamps.

Next, if it's the UK, it's the monarch; period.

Finally there has been at least one clue pointing out Victoria and Lincoln were contemporaries so that narrowed down the date (2013 spoiler: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4367 ) Little wobbly, given the 25 year gap between that clue and this, but Victoria was the longest pre QE2 and as a lowest valued clue, even the SHC won't ask for William IV in that spot. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)