TD 390 - Road Trip (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

TD 390 - Road Trip (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

This TD is called "Road Trip" and the questions are inspired by my family's "big" vacation this summer.

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for that question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for one question
4) There is no bonus for not using the "drop" or "sheep", so you probably want to take the former and get a zero for one question
5) Wrong responses are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
6) Letter preferred = If your response is among the right answers for a particular question yet does not include a letter or has the wrong letter, it will be judged as correct with a +2 "penalty" added to your total.
7) All answers are due by 1 PM Central Time on Monday, August 6, 2018
8) Submit answers via this Google form or PM

Questions

1. After about an hour and a half in the car, we left Iowa and entered Illinois. This happened at the Quad Cities, while the last exit we passed in the Land of Lincoln was for Danville - which is the name of the city in "the Tri-state area" on Phineas & Ferb. Answer one of these quad- or tri-related clues. [Note: The first four answers of the first group start with "quad" and the first three of the second group start with "tri".]

A four-footed animal
A person with complete paralysis of the body from the neck down
Large muscle at the front of the thigh
A rectangular area surrounded on all sides by buildings
This is the largest of the Quad Cities

A hit that leaves the batter 90 feet from scoring
A vehicle with one wheel in the front and two in the back that is often pedaled by small children
A dinosaur known for having a trio of horns - a pair above the eyes and one on the nose
Pasco, Richland and Kennewick are the "Tri-Cities" in this state
The Tri-City ValleyCats play this sport

2. Another "I" state (Indiana) followed. This summer we just passed through, but last year we spent a weekend in Indianapolis after our son qualified for a World Bible Quiz - something his sister did four years earlier. Their quizzes featured multiple choice questions from the books of Acts (her) and Joshua/Judges/Ruth (him). In that spirit, answer one of these questions. [Give response as letter followed by number (Example: K2)]

Acts
A. Which man was chosen to replace Judas as a disciple? 1. Joseph; 2. Matthias; 3. Paul
B. Who became known as the first martyr of Christianity? 1. Peter; 2. Philip; 3. Stephen
C. What was the name of the temple gate with the lame beggar? 1. Beautiful; 2. Powerful; 3. Wonderful
D. Which city was Saul headed to when he encountered Jesus? 1. Damascus; 2. Jerusalem; 3. Tarsus
E. What woman was a dealer of purple cloth? 1. Candace; 2. Lydia; 3. Sapphira

Joshua/Judges/Ruth
F. Who was the other spy to join Joshua in giving an encouraging report? 1. Aaron; 2. Ammiel; 3. Caleb; 4. Gaddiel
G. Where did Joshua ask for the sun and moon to stand still? 1. Ai; 2. Gibeon; 3. Hebron; 4. Jericho
H. Who is the only female judge mentioned? 1. Dara; 2. Deborah; 3. Delilah; 4. Dinah
I. Who asked God for two signs involving a fleece? 1. Abimelech; 2. Barak; 3. Ehud; 4. Gideon
J. From which country was Ruth? 1. Moab; 2. Philistia; 3. Samaria; 4. Ur

3. Next up was Ohio and a stop in Cincinnati for a baseball game so my son could add another stadium to the list of those he has visited. Name the team that plays its home games in one of the stadiums/arenas (first 8 are MLB, all 10 are on his visited list) that includes the feature described in these clues. [Letter preferred.] {Hints: No AL West teams and no teams from the 3 largest US cities.}

A. A warehouse that famously sported the number 2131 in 1995
B. A row painted purple to indicate a special altitude
C. A carousel with striped felines
D. A series of waterfalls and a big crown behind the outfield fence
E. A big slide that "Bernie" uses when the home team hits a round-tripper
F. A sign with two guys shaking hands across a river
G. A retractable roof and a hotel with rooms overlooking the field
H. A "race" among the likenesses of the quartet found on Mount Rushmore
I. (NFL) A platform where the blue "12th Man Flag" is raised before each game
J. (NHL) A cannon that is fired whenever the home team scores a goal

4. Following the game, we headed to Kentucky and a hotel near the airport with code CVG. Give the code for one of these airports.

Buffalo, NY
Chicago, IL [Midway]
Houston, TX [Bush]
Manchester, NH
Milwaukee, WI
Norfolk, VA
Peoria, IL
Tampa, FL
Washington, DC [Dulles]
Waterloo, IA

5. The second day of the trip saw us pass through West Virginia - which is referred to as "almost heaven" in a famous John Denver song. Name the artist for one of these other songs that includes "heaven" in the lyrics. [Letter preferred]

A. There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold and she's buying a stairway to heaven (1971)
B. Nobody gets too much heaven no more it's much harder to come by (1979)
C. Heaven knows it's not the way it should be; And heaven knows it's not the way it could be (1979)
D. I'm Free; Heaven helps the man who fights his fear (1984)
E. I'm findin' it hard to believe we're in heaven (1985)
F. So raise your hands to heaven and pray that we'll be back together someday (1987)
G. You soft and only; You lost and lonely; You just like heaven (1987)
H. I only wanted someone to love, but something happened on the way to heaven (1989)
I. Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven? (1992)
J. I wanna be inside your heaven; Take me to the place you cry from (2005)

6. More than half of our trip was spent in Maryland - visiting with friends and then staying with family on the Delmarva peninsula. A day trip to the beach was also on the agenda. Besides the Delmarva trio, name a state that borders the Atlantic Ocean.

7. The state of Delaware was crossed on our way to the ocean shore. Crossing the Delaware River can take you from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Given the states on either side, name the river crossed by one of the listed interstates. [Letter preferred]

A. Alabama/Georgia (I-85)
B. Oregon/Washington (I-5)
C. Minnesota/Wisconsin (I-90)
D. Iowa/Nebraska (I-80)
E. Indiana/Kentucky (I-65)
F. Maryland/Virginia (I-95)
G. Oklahoma/Texas (I-35)
H. South Carolina/Georgia (I-20)
I. Illinois/Indiana (I-64)

8. Following a few days in Maryland, we made a long drive along the western side of Virginia - where a few signs for colleges were passed. Name the NCAA basketball conference for one of these institutions that we saw an exit for (or at least were near) during our trip. [Letter preferred]

A. Cincinnati
B. Dayton
C. East Tennessee State
D. Illinois
E. Indiana State
F. Navy
G. Northern Kentucky
H. Virginia Tech
I. West Virginia
J. Xavier

9. Once through Virginia, our next stop was northeast Tennessee and the city of Elizabethton to visit more relatives. Name one of these Elizabeths. [Letter preferred]

A. Actress: Effie Trinket (The Hunger Games)
B. Actress: Jessie Spano (Saved by the Bell)
C. 19th century suffragist and women's rights activist
D. Secretary of Transportation and North Carolina Senator
E. Actress: The Devil (Bedazzled)
F. Actress: Samantha Stephens (Bewitched)
G. Actress: Scarlet Witch (Avengers)
H. Actress: Susan Lawrence (Big)
I. Child safety activist who was abducted from her Utah home as a teenager
J. Former anchor of ABC's World News Tonight and 20/20

10. A trip to the mountains allowed us to spend a brief time in North Carolina. A family member who lives in that state has two boys with US presidential surnames as their first names. Give one of these first names which are also presidential last names. [Letter preferred]

A. Animated aardvark with younger sister D.W.
B. A spin-off of Family Guy is named for this character
C. Jon Arbuckle's feline
D. Painter Pollock
E. Marcy's second husband on Married..with Children
F. This boy has ten sisters on The Loud House
G. Jim J. Bullock's character on Too Close for Comfort
H. The 007 portrayer who qualifies for this category
I. Hunter Tylo's role on The Bold & The Beautiful
J. Tim's neighbor on Home Improvement

11. The last morning of our trip was spent touring Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Answer one of these clues related to the words 'mammoth' or 'cave'.

Mammoth Mountain ski resort and the town of Mammoth Lakes are found in this state
The world's largest mammoth research facility is found in Hot Springs in this 2-word state
The Colorado Mammoth play in the NLL - a league for this sport
Holiday World in this Indiana town features the Mammoth Water Coaster
Mammoth Glacier is in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in this state

This group consisting of Brenda, Dee Dee and Taffy teamed with Captain Caveman in a 1970s ABC animated mystery series
The Clan of the Cave Bear was a novel by this writer
Phil Hartman played this Saturday Night Live character who was "frightened and confused" by the modern world
Tony Siragusa hosted the renovation show Man Caves on this network
Nicolas Cage and Emma Stone are among those providing voices for this animated cave family in a 2013 movie

12. BONUS #1: Choose one of the two options - each with a maximum bonus of -10.

A. A different route home took us through Missouri - where we elected to continue towards home and not visit with other friends and/or family. An earlier "detour" to South Carolina would have given us the same option, but we passed on that as well. Anyway, the state universities of SEC members South Carolina and Missouri are both based in cities named Columbia. Many other city names are shared by NCAA Division 1 basketball campuses in different states and some are listed here. For up to five, give the two states that have a college based in a city by that name. (Example: If Athens were listed, the correct response would be Georgia and Ohio.) Each response must include the letter and two states. {Both states correct = -2, 1 wrong = 0, both wrong = +1}

A. Bowling Green
B. Charleston
C. Conway
D. Durham
E. Greenville
F. Huntsville
G. Lexington
H. Newark
I. Oxford
J. Richmond

B. Answer any or all of these questions (Correct response = -1, Incorrect response = +1)

K. The airport with the code TRI is located in this state
L. According to Acts 28, on what island was Paul shipwrecked while on his way to Rome for an "appeal unto Caesar"? [No multiple choice]
M. Name either team for these stadiums: A view of a large "croquet wicket" (MLB) and a dome that hosted the "greatest show on turf" (NFL)
N. Give the airport code: Louisville, KY
O. Name the artist for this lyric: There's just you; You must have been heaven-sent; Hearing me call, you went out on a limb (1985)
P. Delmarva's feral horse population is known by two names (one in Maryland, one in Virginia). Give either one.
Q. What river does I-29 cross between Iowa and South Dakota?
R. I-81 took us through the Harrisonburg, VA campus of this Colonial Athletic Association member
S. Name the young girl who owns Clifford the Big Red Dog
T. What name does the mermaid in Splash give herself?

13. BONUS #2 - How many miles did we drive on this trip? (The three closest answers receive bonuses of -3, -2 and -1, respectively.)
Last edited by clt013 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
clt013

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip

Post by clt013 »

Entrant list...
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
badgerfellow
JeopardyMom
Gamawire
bev nar

Lumosityfan
Enormous Jeans
countyguy
clprez
casketromance

ElendilPickle
morbeedo
Coach P
twelvefootboy
SenseiCAY

Troydozzy
Vintsanity
RJRouge
psgola
jbeltz

floridagator
heppm01
Tybalteon
xxaaaxx
econgator

sillymoose
Ironhorse
Peachbox
threearruda
Rackme32

merica
spell4yr
Last edited by clt013 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Well that was interesting. After a top 10 finish last time, I look forward to my beating this time.

Thanks for hosting this (and the previous) one!
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump - still three days to enter and many answers waiting to be chosen.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Last bump - deadline is tomorrow at 1 PM Central time and reveal should begin later in the afternoon.
clt013

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1-Q2 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

1. After about an hour and a half in the car, we left Iowa and entered Illinois. This happened at the Quad Cities, while the last exit we passed in the Land of Lincoln was for Danville - which is the name of the city in "the Tri-state area" on Phineas & Ferb. Answer one of these quad- or tri-related clues. [Note: The first four answers of the first group start with "quad" and the first three of the second group start with "tri".]

A four-footed animal [Quadruped]
A person with complete paralysis of the body from the neck down [Quadriplegic]
Large muscle at the front of the thigh [Quadraceps]
A rectangular area surrounded on all sides by buildings [Quadrangle]
This is the largest of the Quad Cities [Davenport]

A hit that leaves the batter 90 feet from scoring [Triple]
A vehicle with one wheel in the front and two in the back that is often pedaled by small children [Tricycle]
A dinosaur known for having a trio of horns - a pair above the eyes and one on the nose [Triceratops]
Pasco, Richland and Kennewick are the "Tri-Cities" in this state [Washington]
The Tri-City ValleyCats play this sport [Baseball]

Everybody starts with a correct response and only one was used more than 4 times…

Triple (SHEEP) - 7
bev nar
SenseiCAY
Troydozzy
Vintsanity
heppm01
threearruda
spell4yr

Quadruped - 4
badgerfellow
twelvefootboy
econgator
Peachbox

Quadriplegic - 4
JeopardyMom
Gamawire
Enormous Jeans
ElendilPickle

Quadrangle - 4
morbeedo
RJRouge
floridagator
xxaaaxx

Tricycle - 4
MarkBarrett
clprez
casketromance
sillymoose

Quadriceps - 3
psgola
jbeltz
Tybalteon

Davenport - 2
countyguy
Ironhorse

Washington - 2
Coach P
Rackme32

SINGLETONS - 1

Triceratops
merica

Baseball
Lumosityfan

2. Another "I" state (Indiana) followed. This summer we just passed through, but last year we spent a weekend in Indianapolis after our son qualified for a World Bible Quiz - something his sister did four years earlier. Their quizzes featured multiple choice questions from the books of Acts (her) and Joshua/Judges/Ruth (him). In that spirit, answer one of these questions. [Give response as letter followed by number (Example: K2)]

Acts
A. Which man was chosen to replace Judas as a disciple? 1. Joseph; 2. Matthias; 3. Paul
B. Who became known as the first martyr of Christianity? 1. Peter; 2. Philip; 3. Stephen
C. What was the name of the temple gate with the lame beggar? 1. Beautiful; 2. Powerful; 3. Wonderful
D. Which city was Saul headed to when he encountered Jesus? 1. Damascus; 2. Jerusalem; 3. Tarsus
E. What woman was a dealer of purple cloth? 1. Candace; 2. Lydia; 3. Sapphira

Joshua/Judges/Ruth
F. Who was the other spy to join Joshua in giving an encouraging report? 1. Aaron; 2. Ammiel; 3. Caleb; 4. Gaddiel
G. Where did Joshua ask for the sun and moon to stand still? 1. Ai; 2. Gibeon; 3. Hebron; 4. Jericho
H. Who is the only female judge mentioned? 1. Dara; 2. Deborah; 3. Delilah; 4. Dinah
I. Who asked God for two signs involving a fleece? 1. Abimelech; 2. Barak; 3. Ehud; 4. Gideon
J. From which country was Ruth? 1. Moab; 2. Philistia; 3. Samaria; 4. Ur

Five drops, five "intentional" sheep and four unused answers on this one…

B. 3 (Co-SHEEP) - 6
badgerfellow
Gamawire
Vintsanity
psgola
Tybalteon
spell4yr

J. 1 (Co-SHEEP) - 6
Enormous Jeans
morbeedo
SenseiCAY
RJRouge
xxaaaxx
Peachbox

A. 2 - 4
JeopardyMom
Lumosityfan
countyguy
merica

E. 2 - 2
Troydozzy
Ironhorse

SINGLETONS - 1

D. 1
clprez

F. 3
MarkBarrett

NOT USED
C. 1
G. 2
H. 2
I. 4

DROP = 0
casketromance
twelvefootboy
jbeltz
floridagator
threearruda

SHEEP = 6
bev nar
Coach P
heppm01
econgator
sillymoose

WRONG ANSWERS = 10
ElendilPickle (D - 3)
Rackme32 (G -1)

STANDINGS AFTER Q2
1. jbeltz - 3
2. casketromance - 4
2. twelvefootboy - 4
2. floridagator - 4
2. Ironhorse - 4
6. MarkBarrett - 5
6. Lumosityfan - 5
6. clprez - 5
6. merica - 5
10. countyguy - 6
11. threearruda - 7
12. JeopardyMom - 8
12. Coach P - 8
14. Troydozzy - 9
14. psgola - 9
14. Tybalteon - 9
17. badgerfellow - 10
17. Gamawire - 10
17. Enormous Jeans - 10
17. morbeedo - 10
17. RJRouge - 10
17. xxaaaxx - 10
17. econgator - 10
17. sillymoose - 10
17. Peachbox - 10
26. Rackme32 - 12
27. bev nar - 13
27. SenseiCAY - 13
27. Vintsanity - 13
27. heppm01 - 13
27. spell4yr - 13
32. ElendilPickle - 14
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1 & Q2 revealed)

Post by Rackme32 »

No idea what gave this atheist any idea he was going to guess right on a Bible question... shoulda clammed HARD!
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1 & Q2 revealed)

Post by CasketRomance »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:32 am No idea what gave this atheist any idea he was going to guess right on a Bible question... shoulda clammed HARD!
anti-religion here and that is what i did....i know it is said that one should know their enemies, but i have absolutely 0 interest in things of a religious nature and will never bother learning anything about it
clt013

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q3-Q5 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

3. Next up was Ohio and a stop in Cincinnati for a baseball game so my son could add another stadium to the list of those he has visited. Name the team that plays its home games in one of the stadiums/arenas (first 8 are MLB, all 10 are on his visited list) that includes the feature described in these clues. [Letter preferred.] {Hints: No AL West teams and no teams from the 3 largest US cities.}

A. A warehouse that famously sported the number 2131 in 1995
B. A row painted purple to indicate a special altitude
C. A carousel with striped felines
D. A series of waterfalls and a big crown behind the outfield fence
E. A big slide that "Bernie" uses when the home team hits a round-tripper
F. A sign with two guys shaking hands across a river
G. A retractable roof and a hotel with rooms overlooking the field
H. A "race" among the likenesses of the quartet found on Mount Rushmore
I. (NFL) A platform where the blue "12th Man Flag" is raised before each game
J. (NHL) A cannon that is fired whenever the home team scores a goal

Two of the teams in the top half here are nowhere close to that in this year's MLB standings…

D. Kansas City Royals (Co-SHEEP) - 6
clprez
twelvefootboy
Troydozzy
xxaaaxx
econgator
merica

F. Minnesota Twins (Co-SHEEP) - 6
morbeedo
floridagator
Tybalteon
Ironhorse
threearruda
Rackme32

B. Colorado Rockies - 5
MarkBarrett
Enormous Jeans
countyguy
ElendilPickle
RJRouge

A. Baltimore Orioles - 4
Gamawire
bev nar
casketromance
Peachbox

I. Seattle Seahawks - 4
JeopardyMom
Coach P (No letter = +2)
Vintsanity
psgola

E. Milwaukee Brewers - 3
badgerfellow
Lumosityfan (No letter = +2)
SenseiCAY

G. Toronto Blue Jays - 2
sillymoose
spell4yr

SINGLETONS - 1

C. Detroit Tigers
heppm01

J. Columbus Blue Jackets
jbeltz

NOT USED
H. Washington Nationals

4. Following the game, we headed to Kentucky and a hotel near the airport with code CVG. Give the code for one of these airports.

Buffalo, NY
Chicago, IL [Midway]
Houston, TX [Bush]
Manchester, NH
Milwaukee, WI
Norfolk, VA
Peoria, IL
Tampa, FL
Washington, DC [Dulles]
Waterloo, IA

One-fourth of the field used their drop on this one, but everyone who submitted a response was correct…

IAH (Houston - Bush) [SHEEP] - 5
Gamawire
Lumosityfan
clprez
casketromance
Peachbox

MHT (Manchester, NH) - 3
sillymoose
threearruda
spell4yr

TPA (Tampa, FL) - 3
bev nar
countyguy
Rackme32

MDW (Chicago - Midway) - 2
twelvefootboy
xxaaaxx

MKE (Milwaukee, WI) - 2
ElendilPickle
SenseiCAY

IAD (Washington - Dulles) - 2
badgerfellow
jbeltz

SINGLETONS - 1

BUF (Buffalo, NY)
Troydozzy

ORF (Norfolk, VA)
econgator

PIA (Peoria, IL)
merica

ALO (Waterloo, IA)
floridagator

DROP = 0
MarkBarrett
JeopardyMom
Coach P
Vintsanity
RJRouge
psgola
heppm01
Tybalteon

SHEEP = 5
Enormous Jeans
morbeedo
Ironhorse

5. The second day of the trip saw us pass through West Virginia - which is referred to as "almost heaven" in a famous John Denver song. Name the artist for one of these other songs that includes "heaven" in the lyrics. [Letter preferred]

A. There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold and she's buying a stairway to heaven (1971)
B. Nobody gets too much heaven no more it's much harder to come by (1979)
C. Heaven knows it's not the way it should be; And heaven knows it's not the way it could be (1979)
D. I'm Free; Heaven helps the man who fights his fear (1984)
E. I'm findin' it hard to believe we're in heaven (1985)
F. So raise your hands to heaven and pray that we'll be back together someday (1987)
G. You soft and only; You lost and lonely; You just like heaven (1987)
H. I only wanted someone to love, but something happened on the way to heaven (1989)
I. Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven? (1992)
J. I wanna be inside your heaven; Take me to the place you cry from (2005)

A trio of fours, the same number of threes and nothing happened for the former member of Genesis…

A. Led Zeppelin (Co-SHEEP) - 4
JeopardyMom
countyguy
Vintsanity
Rackme32

E. Bryan Adams (Co-SHEEP) - 4
MarkBarrett
Gamawire
casketromance
jbeltz

G. The Cure (Co-SHEEP) - 4
ElendilPickle
morbeedo
Troydozzy
merica (No letter = +2)

B. Bee Gees - 3
clprez
floridagator
econgator

I. Eric Clapton - 3
RJRouge
psgola
heppm01

J. Carrie Underwood - 3
SenseiCAY
threearruda
spell4yr

C. Donna Summer - 2
Enormous Jeans
Peachbox

SINGLETONS - 1

D. Kenny Loggins
Coach P

F. Breathe
bev nar

NOT USED
H. Phil Collins

DROP = 0
badgerfellow
Lumosityfan
xxaaaxx
sillymoose
Ironhorse

SHEEP = 4
Tybalteon

WRONG ANSWER = 10
twelvefootboy (A - Lynard Skynard)

STANDINGS AFTER Q5
1. jbeltz - 10
2. floridagator - 14
2. MarkBarrett - 14
4. Ironhorse - 15
4. Lumosityfan - 15
4. Coach P - 15
4. badgerfellow - 15
4. sillymoose - 15
9. JeopardyMom - 16
9. psgola - 16
11. casketromance - 17
11. heppm01 - 17
13. merica - 18
13. countyguy - 18
13. RJRouge - 18
13. xxaaaxx - 18
17. clprez - 19
17. threearruda - 19
17. Tybalteon - 19
20. Troydozzy - 20
20. econgator - 20
22. Peachbox - 21
22. bev nar - 21
22. SenseiCAY - 21
22. Vintsanity - 21
22. spell4yr - 21
27. twelvefootboy - 22
27. Enormous Jeans - 22
29. Gamawire - 23
30. morbeedo - 25
30. Rackme32 - 25
30. ElendilPickle - 25
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

clt013 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 am NOT USED
H. Washington Nationals
Never change, TD.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1-Q5 revealed)

Post by CoachP »

Can't seem to enter a TD lately w/out forgetting a letter. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy my brief time near the top.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

spell4yr wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am
clt013 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 am NOT USED
H. Washington Nationals
Never change, TD.
I mean...Mount Rushmore is SUUUUPER obscure. I'm not surprised no one knew that :lol:
clt013

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q6-Q8 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

6. More than half of our trip was spent in Maryland - visiting with friends and then staying with family on the Delmarva peninsula. A day trip to the beach was also on the agenda. Besides the Delmarva trio, name a state that borders the Atlantic Ocean.

The two southernmost states top this list…

Florida (SHEEP) - 7
Gamawire
bev nar
countyguy
morbeedo
SenseiCAY
psgola
econgator

Georgia - 5
casketromance
sillymoose
Ironhorse
Peachbox
Rackme32

New York - 5
twelvefootboy
Troydozzy
jbeltz
xxaaaxx
merica

Maine - 4
clprez
ElendilPickle
heppm01
Tybalteon

New Hampshire - 3
RJRouge
floridagator
spell4yr

New Jersey - 3
MarkBarrett
Lumosityfan
Enormous Jeans

Rhode Island - 3
badgerfellow
Coach P
Vintsanity

SINGLETONS - 1

Connecticut
threearruda

South Carolina
JeopardyMom

NOT USED
Massachusetts
North Carolina

7. The state of Delaware was crossed on our way to the ocean shore. Crossing the Delaware River can take you from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Given the states on either side, name the river crossed by one of the listed interstates. [Letter preferred]

A. Alabama/Georgia (I-85)
B. Oregon/Washington (I-5)
C. Minnesota/Wisconsin (I-90)
D. Iowa/Nebraska (I-80)
E. Indiana/Kentucky (I-65)
F. Maryland/Virginia (I-95)
G. Oklahoma/Texas (I-35)
H. South Carolina/Georgia (I-20)
I. Illinois/Indiana (I-64)

Half of the non-drops went for one of two waterways…

G. Red (SHEEP) - 8
Gamawire
clprez
casketromance
morbeedo
psgola (No letter = +2)
xxaaaxx
Ironhorse
Peachbox

B. Columbia - 7
MarkBarrett
Enormous Jeans
ElendilPickle
Coach P
Troydozzy
threearruda
Rackme32

I. Wabash - 4
badgerfellow
floridagator
econgator
merica

A. Chattahoochee - 2
Lumosityfan
countyguy

E. Ohio - 2
RJRouge
jbeltz

F. Potomac - 2
SenseiCAY
sillymoose

SINGLETONS - 1

D. Missouri
Vintsanity

H. Savannah
JeopardyMom

NOT USED
C. Mississippi

DROP = 0
bev nar
spell4yr

WRONG ANSWERS = 11
twelvefootboy (D - Mississippi)
heppm01 (D - Platte)
Tybalteon (E - Kentucky)

8. Following a few days in Maryland, we made a long drive along the western side of Virginia - where a few signs for colleges were passed. Name the NCAA basketball conference for one of these institutions that we saw an exit for (or at least were near) during our trip. [Letter preferred]

A. Cincinnati
B. Dayton
C. East Tennessee State
D. Illinois
E. Indiana State
F. Navy
G. Northern Kentucky
H. Virginia Tech
I. West Virginia
J. Xavier

Two "Big" names and one smaller conference formed a trio of co-sheep…

D. Big Ten (Co-SHEEP) - 5
bev nar
floridagator
heppm01
Tybalteon
merica

G. Horizon (Co-SHEEP) - 5
badgerfellow
countyguy
casketromance
threearruda
Rackme32

J. Big East (Co-SHEEP) - 5
MarkBarrett
SenseiCAY
psgola
xxaaaxx
sillymoose

E. Missouri Valley - 4
Lumosityfan
twelvefootboy (No letter = +2)
jbeltz
spell4yr

I. Big 12 - 3
Vintsanity
econgator
Ironhorse

H. ACC - 2
JeopardyMom
clprez

F. Patriot (SINGLETON!) - 1
Coach P

NOT USED
A. American (AAC)
B. Atlantic 10
C. Southern

DROP = 0
Gamawire
Enormous Jeans
ElendilPickle
morbeedo
Troydozzy
Peachbox

SHEEP = 5
RJRouge

STANDINGS AFTER Q8
1. JeopardyMom - 20
2. jbeltz - 21
3. Lumosityfan - 24
4. floridagator - 26
4. Coach P - 26
6. badgerfellow - 27
6. sillymoose - 27
8. RJRouge - 28
8. Vintsanity - 28
8. spell4yr - 28
11. MarkBarrett - 29
12. Ironhorse - 31
13. merica - 32
13. countyguy - 32
13. threearruda - 32
13. Troydozzy - 32
13. Enormous Jeans - 32
18. clprez - 33
18. bev nar - 33
20. econgator - 34
20. Peachbox - 34
22. casketromance - 35
22. SenseiCAY - 35
24. xxaaaxx - 36
24. ElendilPickle - 36
26. heppm01 - 37
27. psgola - 38
27. Gamawire - 38
29. Tybalteon - 39
30. morbeedo - 40
31. Rackme32 - 42
32. twelvefootboy - 44
CasketRomance

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1-Q8 revealed)

Post by CasketRomance »

horizon was the co sheep? almost went with patriot, but since it was navy as the team, thought that might have been a sheep...had colgate or lehigh the school mentioned, i would have gone with it
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Nobody said Massachusetts or Mississippi River?

Lady Godiva was a freedom rider. She didn't care if the whole world looked. Joan of Arc had the Lord to guide her. She was a sister who really cooked! And Isadora was the first bra burner. Aren't you glad she showed up? And when the country was falling apart Betsy Ross got it all sewed up. And then there's Maude...

I don't know why I felt compelled to recite that.
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

Feeling pretty proud to be a Sandlapper today -- South Carolina has been good to me in this TD!
clt013

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q9-Q11 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

9. Once through Virginia, our next stop was northeast Tennessee and the city of Elizabethton to visit more relatives. Name one of these Elizabeths. [Letter preferred]

A. Actress: Effie Trinket (The Hunger Games)
B. Actress: Jessie Spano (Saved by the Bell)
C. 19th century suffragist and women's rights activist
D. Secretary of Transportation and North Carolina Senator
E. Actress: The Devil (Bedazzled)
F. Actress: Samantha Stephens (Bewitched)
G. Actress: Scarlet Witch (Avengers)
H. Actress: Susan Lawrence (Big)
I. Child safety activist who was abducted from her Utah home as a teenager
J. Former anchor of ABC's World News Tonight and 20/20

No drops, no errors, nobody left out…

D. Dole (SHEEP) - 6
JeopardyMom
Lumosityfan
clprez
Troydozzy
Peachbox
threearruda

A. Banks - 4
Gamawire
ElendilPickle
Tybalteon
sillymoose

C. Cady Stanton - 4
countyguy
Vintsanity
jbeltz
floridagator

I. Smart - 4
Enormous Jeans
SenseiCAY
psgola
Ironhorse

F. Montgomery - 3
bev nar
twelvefootboy
Rackme32

G. Olsen - 3
MarkBarrett
badgerfellow
econgator

J. Vargas - 3
morbeedo
xxaaaxx
spell4yr

B. Berkley - 2
RJRouge
merica

H. Perkins - 2
casketromance
heppm01

E. Hurley (SINGLETON!) - 1
Coach P

10. A trip to the mountains allowed us to spend a brief time in North Carolina. A family member who lives in that state has two boys with US presidential surnames as their first names. Give one of these first names which are also presidential last names. [Letter preferred]

A. Animated aardvark with younger sister D.W.
B. A spin-off of Family Guy is named for this character
C. Jon Arbuckle's feline
D. Painter Pollock
E. Marcy's second husband on Married..with Children
F. This boy has ten sisters on The Loud House
G. Jim J. Bullock's character on Too Close for Comfort
H. The 007 portrayer who qualifies for this category
I. Hunter Tylo's role on The Bold & The Beautiful
J. Tim's neighbor on Home Improvement

The alphabetically first and last correct responses were the most popular pair…

A. Arthur (SHEEP) - 7
Coach P
SenseiCAY
Troydozzy (No letter = +2)
Tybalteon
sillymoose
Peachbox
spell4yr

J. Wilson - 5
badgerfellow
morbeedo
Vintsanity
jbeltz
threearruda

D. Jackson - 4
Gamawire
countyguy
ElendilPickle
heppm01

E. Jefferson - 4
MarkBarrett
twelvefootboy
psgola
xxaaaxx

G. Monroe - 4
casketromance
floridagator
econgator
merica

C. Garfield - 3
Enormous Jeans
clprez
Rackme32

F. Lincoln - 2
Lumosityfan
RJRouge

SINGLETONS - 1

B. Cleveland
Ironhorse

H. Pierce
JeopardyMom

I. Taylor
bev nar

11. The last morning of our trip was spent touring Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Answer one of these clues related to the words 'mammoth' or 'cave'.

Mammoth Mountain ski resort and the town of Mammoth Lakes are found in this state [California]
The world's largest mammoth research facility is found in Hot Springs in this 2-word state [South Dakota]
The Colorado Mammoth play in the NLL - a league for this sport [Lacrosse]
Holiday World in this Indiana town features the Mammoth Water Coaster [Santa Claus]
Mammoth Glacier is in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in this state [Wyoming]

This group consisting of Brenda, Dee Dee and Taffy teamed with Captain Caveman in a 1970s ABC animated mystery series [Teen Angels]
The Clan of the Cave Bear was a novel by this writer [Jean M. Auel]
Phil Hartman played this Saturday Night Live character who was "frightened and confused" by the modern world [Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer]
Tony Siragusa hosted the renovation show Man Caves on this network [DIY]
Nicolas Cage and Emma Stone are among those providing voices for this animated cave family in a 2013 movie [The Croods]

One little letter prevented a third straight "errorless" question…

Lacrosse (Co-SHEEP) - 5
casketromance
psgola
heppm01
xxaaaxx
threearruda

Santa Claus (Co-SHEEP) - 5
badgerfellow
JeopardyMom
jbeltz
floridagator
spell4yr

Jean M. Auel (Co-SHEEP) - 5
MarkBarrett
bev nar
Coach P
Troydozzy
Peachbox

California - 4
Enormous Jeans
countyguy
clprez
morbeedo

South Dakota - 2
Vintsanity
sillymoose

Wyoming - 2
ElendilPickle
Rackme32

The Croods - 2
Tybalteon
Ironhorse

SINGLETONS - 1

Teen Angels
RJRouge

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
merica

NOT USED
DIY

DROP = 0
econgator

SHEEP = 5
Gamawire
Lumosityfan
twelvefootboy

WRONG ANSWER = 10
SenseiCAY (Droods)

STANDINGS AFTER Q11
1. JeopardyMom - 32
2. RJRouge - 33
3. jbeltz - 35
4. Lumosityfan - 37
5. Ironhorse - 38
6. floridagator - 39
6. Coach P - 39
6. Vintsanity - 39
6. merica - 39
10. badgerfellow - 40
10. sillymoose - 40
12. MarkBarrett - 41
12. econgator - 41
14. bev nar - 42
15. spell4yr - 43
15. Enormous Jeans - 43
17. countyguy - 44
18. clprez - 46
18. casketromance - 46
18. ElendilPickle - 46
21. threearruda - 48
21. xxaaaxx - 48
21. heppm01 - 48
24. Rackme32 - 50
25. psgola - 51
25. Gamawire - 51
27. Troydozzy - 52
27. Peachbox - 52
27. Tybalteon - 52
27. morbeedo - 52
31. SenseiCAY - 56
31. twelvefootboy - 56
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 390 - Road Trip (Q1-Q11 revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Yeah, I looked it up as soon as I submitted and did a forehead slap. I thought it would have been a good pull, and figured I'd take the risk, and it ended up not paying off.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Huh, so I guess Holiday World is actually fairly well known then.

ETA: Or is it that Santa Claus is?
jbeltz
Valued Contributor

Post by jbeltz »

Holiday World is fairly well known among coaster enthusiasts.