Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Magna wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 pm I also see some people answered "Flying Jenny" - let me put in a plea for that too. I've seen that nickname used as well. Here's an example.
The Flying Jenny is the right-side-up one. The only real answers that fit the question are 'inverted Jenny' and 'Jenny invert'.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I was one who answered flying jenny, but realized I got the name confused with a beer I had recently....
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I just did the dumb. I completely forgot to type in my answer to the 3-pointer... :oops:
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

just set a personal record by clamming on 9 of the 10 questions...Guess I need to brush up on stages and cats in literature!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

If you enjoyed "I Could Pee On This", you may also enjoy the dog-themed sequel "I Could Chew On This" (or the kitten-themed "I Knead My Mommy").

I used to read Ces' webcomic Medium Large around the time when he published the cat poem book. It took me a second to remember where I knew it from, though.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Technically the 15-pointer has two correct answers - "Sally Forth" and "Judge Parker".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am Technically the 15-pointer has two correct answers - "Sally Forth" and "Judge Parker".
I was happy to see this clue, but it is definitely YEKIOYD. It's not updated daily, but Medium-Large.com is always worth the journey. Such talent some people have :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:45 am
Magna wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 pm I also see some people answered "Flying Jenny" - let me put in a plea for that too. I've seen that nickname used as well. Here's an example.
The Flying Jenny is the right-side-up one. The only real answers that fit the question are 'inverted Jenny' and 'Jenny invert'.
The clue arguably fits either one, imo - the upside-down one, or the regular one that became valuable because of the misprint.

The thing about nicknames is that there's usually no canonical answer. Any informal name that is used enough times can be a nickname. Fwiw, there are other nicknames too, which others didn't give, e.g., Airmail Invert.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, last year's Kitty Lit category kicked my ass just as hard, so at least I'm consistent :oops:
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 pm
heppm01 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am Bah! I was coin flipping between Ben Franklin and George Washington for the 2-pointer, completely overlooking the fact that the question wasn't limited to American postage stamps.
Same. Looks like we are not the only two either.
Yeah. I thought it was a beautiful clue that could be TOM'd out as Ben Franklin over the negbait of George Washington without actually knowing the factoid in the first place. I was proud to remember Ben's connection to the Post Office (not sure if he was the PG) and take the 50/50/90. Instead the answer is basically a YEKIOYD which many boardies seem to know.

I'd venture that not many of the correct answers came as a result of sussing out that the oldest stamp may be from Britain, and that their monarchs are featured, and finally the easy part for boardies is knowing who the monarch was in 1840 something.

A bit undervalued. At least it's only 2 quatloos. This is not criticism of the author or steering committe by any means, it's a very clever clue. It's not Physics (joke from my signature). :lol:
There was a scene in the Victoria series on PBS a couple years ago that showed the first postage stamp being introduced, and Victoria was quite giggly over the thought that people would be licking her face.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am Technically the 15-pointer has two correct answers - "Sally Forth" and "Judge Parker".
Don't worry, I listed both as possible answers, I knew this one would be a stretch.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Magna wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:45 am
The clue arguably fits either one, imo - the upside-down one, or the regular one that became valuable because of the misprint.

The thing about nicknames is that there's usually no canonical answer. Any informal name that is used enough times can be a nickname. Fwiw, there are other nicknames too, which others didn't give, e.g., Airmail Invert.
I wouldn't say C3 is any more valuable than a stamp of that rarity of a higher face value from that time period. Value is extremely tricky with the two-color stamps because centering is everything and that's two centerings instead of one. The key word in the answer should be "inverted" as that term is always used with this type of error in the stamp world. I assume if someone answered Inverted Airplane or Biplane or Jenny Invert or anything to do with planes, that's going to count even though Inverted Jenny is most often used.

The interesting thing about the rarity of C3a (the invert) is that the post office was quite conscious of the value of errors and made every effort to limit people profiting on them. In the case of the Dag Hammarskjold stamp years later, with a similar second color error, they actually made sure to continue to print the error once it had gotten out. At any rate, only one inverted Jenny sheet was ever sold. Homer is holding something that's likely worth more than a Van Gogh (though the original sheet of 100 was almost immediately separated into individual stamps).
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Negative points for me today. I was all set to say Aspen, when Durango popped into my head. My coin flip between Cimmaron and Cavalcade came up wrong. And I took a guess with Lark -- should have been Skylark.

Also, Bacon = Clams.
Teems with quiet fun.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My parents actually had a Mercury Comet. Good car, got totaled by a wrong-way driver while taking me to school. This was back in the dark ages before wearing seat belts were a thing. :shock:
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

This is one of my favorite moments in podcast history, so I hope my response for the 9-pointer on Day 3 is counted.

I’m glad today’s clues were easier.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

For the 15-point question about Islam, the editing team has agreed that Ali is not a correct answer. Although Shi'a Islam holds Ali to be the legitimate successor to Muhammad, the response of Ali does not fit the rest of the clue: that Ali was the "first caliph" and that the Muslim community chose him as a caliph in 632. The Muslim community only named Ali as a caliph in 656.

On another note, I had an injury this morning that required me to be taken to the hospital. Fortunately, the injury does not appear to be serious, but the coming days may be particularly tough for me as I recover. I should be able to post the coming days' questions as scheduled, but the grading might be delayed a bit.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I haven't the foggiest idea what that Friday category is about. Is it a band? A song? A TV show?
Teems with quiet fun.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I think I missed a cultural moment with Black's Friday?? Can't say that I've ever heard of it and only kind of deduced that it must be a song from the clues. So, now I feel particularly old and out of it - thanks! :D
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The song sequel had me too chicken to risk it even with the small penalty. My fear was it being some kind of trick and having a longer title such as "Saturday Night."