Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TerSch
Contributor

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by TerSch »

I almost overlooked the audition invitation email I received yesterday for September 26 in Memphis, so if you're as spotty as I am about checking email and you signed up for Memphis in the March online test go check your email now.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

I'd been trying to get on since the Art Fleming days. Before the online tests, I had to go from Long Island to Atlantic City to take the test. Made the audition round once, but was waay too clever when they did an interview question (meaning I said something ridiculous).

Once the online tests started, I took them every year, with no joy.

This time: online test early 2017, and then things came in a rush. Email for audition June 15, 2017; audition July 8, 2017. This time I was determined to be as charming as I knew how to be. My wife asked how it went, and I told her that if I needed one more ounce of charm, I just didn't have it. It must have worked, because I got The Call within a few weeks (the email with the information packet and eligibility forms came September 26). Tape date October 31, 2017. Barely enough time to prepare. One of the people in my group had been waiting 18 months since the audition, and had been certain she hadn't made it.

BTW: The Jeopardy! people at the audition claimed that as long as a prospective contestant passes their unstated minimum grade on the online test and on the pre-audition written test, there is no added benefit to getting a higher score.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

TerSch wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:05 pm I almost overlooked the audition invitation email I received yesterday for September 26 in Memphis, so if you're as spotty as I am about checking email and you signed up for Memphis in the March online test go check your email now.
Quiet as a grave in my in-box...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

The travelogue so far:

late april - NYC
mid may - Atlanta
mid may - Tampa
late may - NYC
early june - New Orleans (teen & adult)
Mid June- Kansas City (teen)
late june - Washington, DC (teen & adult)
lat june - St. Louis
late june - Cleveland
mid July - San Francisco
late July - Detroit
early august - Portland
mid September - Philadelphia
late September - Memphis
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Drangvoor
Contributor

Post by Drangvoor »

sarisson wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:42 pm
Andromus wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm Just got an email today for a Philadelphia audition as well -- September 12 for me.
I got mine today, same day and location (but possibly a different time). They said it may take 10 days for them to send further details.
Last week, I got the details for my audition invite in Philly on Aug 12. See you there! :D :D :D
Drangvoor
Contributor

Post by Drangvoor »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm I'd been trying to get on since the Art Fleming days. Before the online tests, I had to go from Long Island to Atlantic City to take the test. Made the audition round once...
Congratulations on your close Jeopardy game! It's encouraging for everyone that your persistence paid off and you made it on the show. Also, it seems like good advice not to be too silly or clever on your interview--you want to be relatable! And it is so interesting how much the lag between audition and taping can vary.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I thrilled — and more than a little relieved — to say that I did get a spot at the Memphis auditions in September.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

I got a Memphis invite. The timing is kind of inconvenient with a family wedding so I asked if I could do it in another city. Long story short, there will be a Los Angeles audition on Oct 4-5.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

I got a Memphis audition. September 25.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Good luck to the Memphis auditioners! With the trivia skills seen here, I have high hopes for boardies getting on the show.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There Will be Boardies 2.png
There Will be Boardies 2.png (474.16 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

alietr wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 am There Will be Boardies 2.png
There better be milkshakes involved.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 am
if there is, I will drink your milkshake!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 am
if there is, I will drink your milkshake!
I promise there are no bowling pins involved.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The travelogue so far:

late april - NYC
mid may - Atlanta
mid may - Tampa
late may - NYC
early june - New Orleans (teen & adult)
Mid June- Kansas City (teen)
late june - Washington, DC (teen & adult)
lat june - St. Louis
late june - Cleveland
mid July - San Francisco
late July - Detroit
early august - Portland
mid September - Philadelphia
late September - Memphis
early October - Los Angeles
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

evanakm wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 am I got a Memphis invite. The timing is kind of inconvenient with a family wedding so I asked if I could do it in another city. Long story short, there will be a Los Angeles audition on Oct 4-5.
If you get The Call, they won't be so understanding. My mother-in-law was visiting us for her 100th birthday. The day we were going to take her to the airport for her flight back to Florida was the day we had to be on our own flight to LA. Would they make an accommodation? They would not. Nana went home a day early, none too happy about it. We couldn't tell her why until the week before the show aired (Loose Lips Sink Ships).

Thanks for the kind words, Drangvoor.

Good luck to all auditioners. The only worthwhile advice I can give is Have Fun.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DavidRosen wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:28 pm
evanakm wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 am I got a Memphis invite. The timing is kind of inconvenient with a family wedding so I asked if I could do it in another city. Long story short, there will be a Los Angeles audition on Oct 4-5.
If you get The Call, they won't be so understanding. My mother-in-law was visiting us for her 100th birthday. The day we were going to take her to the airport for her flight back to Florida was the day we had to be on our own flight to LA. Would they make an accommodation? They would not. Nana went home a day early, none too happy about it. We couldn't tell her why until the week before the show aired (Loose Lips Sink Ships).

Thanks for the kind words, Drangvoor.

Good luck to all auditioners. The only worthwhile advice I can give is Have Fun.
Seen plenty of stories similar to this before, it is odd how they will be so accommodating to people who are one of the ~3,000 chosen for an audition but unwilling to be flexible for the ~400 that have been chosen to be on the show.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 pm Seen plenty of stories similar to this before, it is odd how they will be so accommodating to people who are one of the ~3,000 chosen for an audition but unwilling to be flexible for the ~400 that have been chosen to be on the show.
The show tapings are Serious Business in a manner that the auditions are not.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 pm Seen plenty of stories similar to this before, it is odd how they will be so accommodating to people who are one of the ~3,000 chosen for an audition but unwilling to be flexible for the ~400 that have been chosen to be on the show.
The show tapings are Serious Business in a manner that the auditions are not.
Right but not even looking at the human aspect of it, I don't get it from a business perspective. Random faceless online test-passer #2971 can't make the Memphis audition so they're willing to work with them and move them to an L.A. audition, rather than simply bump them and say wait til next year. (he can't come on the date we're there, forget him!)

But now let's fast forward past the audition, Maggie & company have looked at 3,000 people and are looking to select their 400, they choose Sucessful Auditioner #157, who they have spent time on, tested, interviewed, mock gamed with, and decided that they want #157 to be on Jeopardy! this season, as they will make for good television. But #157 has a big job interview, overseas travel, a family wedding, kid's graduation, etc., already set on the date they want them to tape. They could easily just bump their tape date back a week or two and make the call to #158 (who they would have been calling for a future tape date anyway) and ask if they can come on that date, but instead they essentially tell #157 to hit the road and drop back into the pool. I don't think it makes a lot of sense.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I suppose their could be an argument that they are carefully crafting each tape date's pool of players, balancing for age, gender, ethnicities, geographical representation, different occupations, etc., and that if one of the 10-12 they've chosen for a particular taping date can't make it, they may not need the same fit on a future taping date. But then you look at something like there being 2 Alexes called to the same tape date and it makes you think they aren't putting nearly as much thought into it as we might think.