LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight »

no clue on that bridge question, but the other five were slam dunk easy.

anyone else unable to get to the site for the last little while?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am sitting this season out, but the site is down for me as well.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 am no clue on that bridge question, but the other five were slam dunk easy.

Hey there, fellow B Taiga-er.

Roget, Marimba, and Brussel Sprouts seemed so easy that I was forced to run through every other even slightly possible answer in my head before writing in the obvious. Cassini and The Natural were evident.

I was able to get the site loaded but it's running slow.

See you on Match Day 10!
I would prefer not to.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I can see the questions, but no images are showing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am I can see the questions, but no images are showing.
Yes, spotty service today with the site. It took a few reloads with a little patience to get through the questions to see the images.

Yesterday I brainstormed as many European capitals and countries I could recall without ever hitting on Belgium. My guess for the nasty vegetables questions (the food not the question itself) was Bernese. Woof woof. It did not cost me the match although I did serve up a 3 to my opponent on it.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Roma tomatoes sounded good to me. I'm still a little unclear on what constitutes a 'cultivar' - my latest working definition that may be wrong is a plant species created through selective breeding. When answering yesterday I was thinking more of strains of a plant (eg. Types of tomato) vs. quite different plants (broccoli and Brussels sprouts).

I successfully got to the right river for the bridge question, but then geography failed me and I said PA and DE.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am Roma tomatoes sounded good to me. I'm still a little unclear on what constitutes a 'cultivar' - my latest working definition that may be wrong is a plant species created through selective breeding. When answering yesterday I was thinking more of strains of a plant (eg. Types of tomato) vs. quite different plants (broccoli and Brussels sprouts).

I successfully got to the right river for the bridge question, but then geography failed me and I said PA and DE.
Cultivar is I believe a portmanteau for cultivated variety, which as you note means a variety obtained through hybridization .
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 am no clue on that bridge question, but the other five were slam dunk easy.

I had to read the bridge question multiple times before finally getting to Delaware and New Jersey. I grew up in Jersey and drove across the Delaware Memorial Bridge many times; and my father owned a junkyard in Easton, PA, which required crossing the Delaware on U.S. 22 or I-78. What almost threw me was the reference to "dozens" of bridges across that river, which sounded a bit high. I looked at a map this morning and lo and behold, there are that many bridges.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Not being familiar with the term cultivar, other than to think it would mean something grown, I ran through european capitals I could think of. I started to answer Roma tomatoes, but didn't think they were the most common. Finally landed on Brussels sprouts after thinking of a few more capitals. I went with Iowa/Illinois on the bridge question, thinking the Mississippi might be the widest river and that Iowa and Illinois have relatively little border. Turns out there are somewhere around 12 crossings of the Mississippi for IA/IL. Never thought of the Delaware River.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:04 pm What almost threw me was the reference to "dozens" of bridges across that river, which sounded a bit high. I looked at a map this morning and lo and behold, there are that many bridges.
Same here, except 'almost'. After I saw the answer, I went to Google Maps and literally started counting them. I stopped at 24, which would constitute 'dozens', but it probably wasn't going to be much more.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

When I lived in NY & I had to drive south, I went over that horrible Delaware Memorial Bridge & Delaware is so small that I figured WECIB. I had 5/6, missing the veggie question. I’ve had no trouble with the site.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I had the bridge half right with DE and MD.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am Roma tomatoes sounded good to me. I'm still a little unclear on what constitutes a 'cultivar' - my latest working definition that may be wrong is a plant species created through selective breeding. When answering yesterday I was thinking more of strains of a plant (eg. Types of tomato) vs. quite different plants (broccoli and Brussels sprouts).
That's the thing. Broccoli and Brussels sprouts come from the same plant (along with cauliflower, kale, lettuce, and cabbage). We have taken a wild cabbage and coaxed the leaves to express themselves in many different forms over the years, yielding many different vegetables, but at heart they're all exactly the same.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I have the 2003 ToC to thank for Burghers of Calais. Anyone else?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 pm I have the 2003 ToC to thank for Burghers of Calais. Anyone else?
More or less. The J! Archive glossary is where I heard it first; it cites it in its definition for "pure trivia," and I assume it's a reference to that FJ.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 pm I have the 2003 ToC to thank for Burghers of Calais. Anyone else?
I don't know where I heard of it, but I know I've heard it enough to automatically think of Calais when I saw Burghers. Not until after I submitted and I looked it up did I actually know what / who they were. I'm thankful for the word association, because that helped me get a 9 (6) - 2 (3) win. Between that and a forfeit win on MD1, I have a MPD of 13. Highly unsustainable, but it looks good through 2 days!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

2004 ToC, but yeah.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 pm 2004 ToC, but yeah.
Ha! I've been conflating my Ts o' C. Well spotted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ouachiouat wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:48 pm
I don't know where I heard of it, but I know I've heard it enough to automatically think of Calais when I saw Burghers.
Pretty much exactly that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 pm 2004 ToC, but yeah.
Ha! I've been conflating my Ts o' C. Well spotted.
Yeah, I let it slide, but I was thinking, "Wasn't it in the UToC or something else that aired during the infancy of the Archive?"