Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here you go.

Unmarked round 5 spoilers ahead!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ouachiouat

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by ouachiouat »

:oops: I worked for the census one summer as an enumerator, one of those people that goes from house to house to ask the census questions to the people who didn't send their forms in the mail. It was actually really interesting, and I'd consider doing it again (it was decent money for an easy side job)...and next time, I'll try to actually learn what department the census falls under. :oops:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Almost messed up on the 4 pointer before realizing that they were asking for the mountain and not the song. :lol:

Ninth 10 pointer question correct in a row for me. Can I make it TEN 10 pointers in a row? :o
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I mostly needed this thread to exist so I could put it out there that I have a joke in my 10-pointer response that I used strikethrough on, and it might end up being judged incorrect if it's scored via automation. I believe I have the full 75 points for today, so heads up!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

For the record, I don't know why so many people keep claiming South Detroit doesn't exist. There's nothing in the song that indicates Steve Perry is referring to a separate city rather than the south side of Detroit.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:23 pm For the record, I don't know why so many people keep claiming South Detroit doesn't exist. There's nothing in the song that indicates Steve Perry is referring to a separate city rather than the south side of Detroit.
Except there isn’t really a south side of Detroit. The central business district is bounded by the Detroit River, which runs in an east-west direction before taking a more southerly course at the edge of the city. There is a small section of area within city limits that is further south than downtown, but it’s so far west, you’d never describe it as such.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I recently found out that in addition to the US census of 1890 having been lost in a fire, the UK census of 1931 suffered the same fate.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oof! Bad neg bait on the 8 pointer. Had I thought of Ricki Lake I would have clammed for sure instead of taking a WAG on Joan Rivers. Bah!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 pm Almost messed up on the 4 pointer before realizing that they were asking for the mountain and not the song. :lol:

Ninth 10 pointer question correct in a row for me. Can I make it TEN 10 pointers in a row? :o
No I can't. :(
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am Oof! Bad neg bait on the 8 pointer. Had I thought of Ricki Lake I would have clammed for sure instead of taking a WAG on Joan Rivers. Bah!
Ditto

I had very low confidence on Colin Firth, so I left it blank. Oh well
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am
Woof wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am Oof! Bad neg bait on the 8 pointer. Had I thought of Ricki Lake I would have clammed for sure instead of taking a WAG on Joan Rivers. Bah!
Ditto

Yup, Colin was not in my top three choices, so it's blank for me as well -- had I made it that far, guess he would have been Firth, of Fourth.

With regard to neg bait, "series of haunting paintings" pretty much irresistibly drew me to Bosch. Sigh.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ditto

I knew it was highly unlikely to be Joan, (what daytime talk show?), but was willing to take the chance as a fanboy. She and Rodney Dangerfield are comedic icons IMHO, and I'll piss away 8 points just to name them.

The painting was a great clue with just enough Spanish language TOM to bring it home. The 2 pointer stumped me for quite a while but was a forehead slapper in retrospect. Don't CLAMS fit the watery category? :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Odd distribution... For R5D2 I got the first, second, and fourth row clues for both categories & clammed the rest.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Had trouble with the 15-pointer as well. I suspected that "...a single man..." may have been a TOM for The Lobster and thought "ah - Colin Farrell". But nothing watery about that at all and I never made the lateral move to Colin Firth.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Same here. For me, it was pretty much "name a daytime talk show host who fits the category" - I don't really know who hosts/hosted the game show marathons.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Nice TOM on "single man" Colin Firth!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had Ricki Lake, but thinking of Jerry Springer gave me pause, especially since I was pretty sure she wasn't a daytime talk show host anymore by 2006.

Also, I won't die on this hill, but I think "transmitting a file smoothly over time" is a vague enough definition that my response of BitTorrent (or, as I rendered it, "(bit)torrent") could be accepted. It only makes a three-point difference, though, and "streaming" is clearly the best answer, so I'm not going to argue for my response beyond this post.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm Nice TOM on "single man" Colin Firth!
Could you explain the TOM to me?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:51 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm Nice TOM on "single man" Colin Firth!
Could you explain the TOM to me?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Single_Man
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Ditto

The only actor I could think of that could possibly fit the category was Geoffrey Rush, though that seemed like a bit of a stretch given the category. Good thing I stayed clam.

I also had to clam on the 9-pointer since I couldn't exactly remember Vera Farmiga's last name. Funny how I had troubles with actor-related clues since they're usually a strength of mine.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell