LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by clprez »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 am Lost a Koin flip on Dogs vs. Horses yesterday (figured that people would take their dogs to Westminster, but nooooo...), but thankfully, got "Chuck," as that is my own nickname...
I was really confident that "beefcake" was the right answer.
I answered beefcake too, although I wasn't sure. I could kick myself because I specifically buy ground chuck at the store rather than ground beef because you know which part of the cow it comes from. I've never thought of Chuck as being a nickname for men.

I also didn't RTFQ that stated the country outline was an island and said Afghanistan because I knew there was a long skinny part that went all the way to the Chinese border.

For the Howdy Doody question, I put down Captain Kangaroo first, but when Howdy Doody popped into my head, I remembered that too often I change an answer and the original answer was right, so I didn't change it.

I ended up with zero correct, but my opponent got 4, so it didn't matter.
clprez

Post by clprez »

bamaman, I see you are 7-0 so far. Congrats! I guess it's a good thing that I'm not playing you until late in the season.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

clprez wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm For the Howdy Doody question, I put down Captain Kangaroo first, but when Howdy Doody popped into my head, I remembered that too often I change an answer and the original answer was right, so I didn't change it.
IIRC Bob Keeshan played Clarabelle, so you would have been half-right.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 pm
clprez wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm For the Howdy Doody question, I put down Captain Kangaroo first, but when Howdy Doody popped into my head, I remembered that too often I change an answer and the original answer was right, so I didn't change it.
IIRC Bob Keeshan played Clarabelle, so you would have been half-right.
He played him first, but Lew Anderson played him when he spoke at the end.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

clprez wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 pm bamaman, I see you are 7-0 so far. Congrats! I guess it's a good thing that I'm not playing you until late in the season.
Thank you. I’m sure I’ll regress to the mean by then. I have been lucky so far in that what I know has been spread out in my favor. Jumble the order and I’d have drank three beers and had a 5 spot but then gone 0(0) three times.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I've been playing along at home with the LL championship - setting a timer and doing the questions on paper. I was doing well in the first two rounds - easily making the cut and scoring almost 700 points total. The third round got me though - I got 5 right and moneyed 4 of these, and less than 40% of the top people missed any of these. Humbling!

Retroactive luck for the last round to all competing!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 am I've been playing along at home with the LL championship - setting a timer and doing the questions on paper. I was doing well in the first two rounds - easily making the cut and scoring almost 700 points total. The third round got me though - I got 5 right and moneyed 4 of these, and less than 40% of the top people missed any of these. Humbling!

Retroactive luck for the last round to all competing!
Interesting. I did likewise but with much different results. Day 2 was brutal for me, but Day 3 I would have been competitive with those who made the cut (7 right, 267 points). Since there would have been no chance of my making the cut, it’s all moot though. Major congrats to Teapot making it through with flying colors. I dont feel half so bad now about my 6 match losing streak against him :mrgreen:
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The back half of the championship was brutal, I thought. I am pleasantly surprised I haven't embarrassed myself so far.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think all rounds have been difficult so far. I got four right on the third round and that's the most I've gotten (although not my highest score due to moneying).

Damn Juneteenth. You know, it would have really been nice if they'd decided to call it June Nineteenth instead! I flipped the Kosman Koin on that one and came up with 6/18.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I might be on my way to making weird LL history. After eight matches, my record is 1 win, 1 loss, and 6 ties--including a 9(6)-9(6) tie.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am I think all rounds have been difficult so far. I got four right on the third round and that's the most I've gotten (although not my highest score due to moneying).

Damn Juneteenth. You know, it would have really been nice if they'd decided to call it June Nineteenth instead! I flipped the Kosman Koin on that one and came up with 6/18.
I'm playing both LL78 and the championships from the sidelines. I actually would have gotten 6 right on the third round--the questions played to my strengths. I missed the Juneteenth question, but one thing I just noticed is that the "ne" is not only part of "June" but also part of "nine(teenth)", which doesn't help you now but might help in the future.

I would have drunk the beer on MD3 if I had been playing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:32 pm I missed the Juneteenth question, but one thing I just noticed is that the "ne" is not only part of "June" but also part of "nine(teenth)", which doesn't help you now but might help in the future.
Yes. Very good mnemonic!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Gave up an 8(4) yesterday which was pretty sweet. I'm not too surprised as I really struggled to assign points. My opponent has a .750 in current events, and less than .400 in all other categories with their worst being Art. Of course, they got the Art (24%), Pop Music (25%), Science (40%), and Food (40%). I had no idea how to defend the sign language/braille question.

After starting with 3 ties, then 3 wins, I've lost 2 in a row. Guess I know whats going to happen today!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

MD8 Q2: What is the word used to categorize birds, colloquially known as "perching birds," that belong to the avian order that makes up more than half of all living birds, including all songbirds (swallows, larks, cardinals, crows, wrens, finches, orioles, etc.)? The term is derived from the Latin word for "sparrow."

I just have to thank the r/askscience question the day before, thinking "hmm, those terms look like something I would regret not knowing on some LL match day." I also managed to actually remember the correct term: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/com ... ey/e51vvdu
clprez

Post by clprez »

cmp146 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:22 pm MD8 Q2: What is the word used to categorize birds, colloquially known as "perching birds," that belong to the avian order that makes up more than half of all living birds, including all songbirds (swallows, larks, cardinals, crows, wrens, finches, orioles, etc.)? The term is derived from the Latin word for "sparrow."

I just have to thank the r/askscience question the day before, thinking "hmm, those terms look like something I would regret not knowing on some LL match day." I also managed to actually remember the correct term: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/com ... ey/e51vvdu
Well, there went a couple of hours down that rabbit hole. Never heard of that subreddit before.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Highest DE score and lowest TCA is good for 24th place in A Taiga, in case you were wondering
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Accepting "qi" has got to be one of the worst calls I've seen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am Accepting "qi" has got to be one of the worst calls I've seen.
If any non-players peek in here:
GAMES/SPORT -- What word appears most often on a standard Scrabble board? SCORE (also DOUBLE, QI)

I had "score" and only interpreted the question as things written on the board and nothing about words played with tiles.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 am
econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am Accepting "qi" has got to be one of the worst calls I've seen.
If any non-players peek in here:
GAMES/SPORT -- What word appears most often on a standard Scrabble board? SCORE (also DOUBLE, QI)

I had "score" and only interpreted the question as things written on the board and nothing about words played with tiles.
Seems to me if you want to go with broad interpretations (not saying that you are), then everything on a Scrabble is a word, therefore "word" appears the most times on a Scrabble board.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Agree. There was no ambiguity in that question. I know it's difficult to consistently and fairly score every question singlehandedly for thousands of participants, but that ruling was a stinker,