Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:52 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 am I don't know yet what the answer for the R5D6 10-pointer is, but..
Spoiler
I feel like there's room for a few answers. None of them felt "right" to me, merely acceptable if I wished to argue them. But I didn't want to insist "guy cry" was worth 10 points, or even "reborn forlorn." "Glistening christening" felt a little closer, but it's the eyes that are glistening, not the baptism itself. Everything I came up with, like "reconciled child," just didn't quite convey the level of detail that I felt the correct response should.

edit: "devotion emotion" is pretty darn close. I might have said that and argued for it if I'd thought of it.
I went with lacrament sacrament, another big stretch.

Also had canning instead of banning - I think this must be accepted. "Capture rapture" is another stretch for me. I just couldn't get apocolyptic triptych to sound right in my head.
My first thought was "Apocalypse comic strips," but figured it would get dinged for pluralizing, even if it didn't prove I couldn't count up to two.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

After 25 people have posted answers the results for the 10-pointer:

Clam or no answer: 16
Glistening Christening: 5
Sacrament Lachryment: 2
Emotional Devotional: 2
Rite Fright: 1

It adds to 26 because I tallied Sg's clam as well as his answer in parentheses if he would have guessed. The judges will have fun sorting through the various guesses. Even on J! this kind of thing happens with rhyme time type material. There is still plenty of time for someone to work in an immersion or sprinkling rhyme.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:16 pm Even on J! this kind of thing happens with rhyme time type material.
When I auditioned, Tony said there was a rhyme time clue that said "What you get filled at the pharmacy in Cairo," seeking "Egyptian prescription," but they had to accept "Nile vial."
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

For R5D2's 4-pointer, it looks like people are saying either
Spoiler
Sundance trance or Sundance entrance (with the stress on the second syllable)
I thought of that, but clammed, because neither of those is a perfect rhyme - and I noted I would have given the second of those two answers if it were a rhyme. I believe J! requires perfect rhymes - they don't accept imperfect rhymes, syllabic rhymes, half rhymes, or the like.

Is there some other answer that we've all missed, or is it supposed to be one of those two? If either of those is the intended answer, I'd like to request a RQ.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I am now certain that "Glistening Christening" is the answer because lachryment isn't a word and devotional is an adjective, not a noun. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:03 pm I am now certain that "Glistening Christening" is the answer because lachryment isn't a word and devotional is an adjective, not a noun. :idea:
The category only called for a two-word description, not a phrase that could stand as a noun. The event could both be called both emotional and devotional.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I had to try "initiation lacrimation" just to see if it would be accepted.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:02 pm
boson wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 pm
Wpwells wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:58 pm Question: Why can we not post rounds 5 and 6 simultaneously? Some of us don't really check this site over the weekends...
It isn't 'we' who post round 5 and 6 but one person. rjaguar3 is running this quiz for 6 weeks straight, providing well-edited, challenging questions 6 days a week AND doing the scoring. This is a volunteer gig that must take hours a day... Sometimes life and work intervene before the questions reach the quality we are enjoying.

I think they deserve more appreciation and understanding than that.
i agree...i don't get why the st louis homer can't use the internet on weekends...should have more time on weekends for internet usage than on weekdays
Is there a reason to be a jerk?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

boson wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 pm
Wpwells wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:58 pm Question: Why can we not post rounds 5 and 6 simultaneously? Some of us don't really check this site over the weekends...
It isn't 'we' who post round 5 and 6 but one person. rjaguar3 is running this quiz for 6 weeks straight, providing well-edited, challenging questions 6 days a week AND doing the scoring. This is a volunteer gig that must take hours a day... Sometimes life and work intervene before the questions reach the quality we are enjoying.

I think they deserve more appreciation and understanding than that.
So much this.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Was I the only one who couldn't wrap my head around that rhyming category at all?
アタックチャンス!
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Magna wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:02 pm For R5D2's 4-pointer, it looks like people are saying either
Spoiler
Sundance trance or Sundance entrance (with the stress on the second syllable)
I thought of that, but clammed, because neither of those is a perfect rhyme - and I noted I would have given the second of those two answers if it were a rhyme. I believe J! requires perfect rhymes - they don't accept imperfect rhymes, syllabic rhymes, half rhymes, or the like.

Is there some other answer that we've all missed, or is it supposed to be one of those two? If either of those is the intended answer, I'd like to request a RQ.
Sundance trance was the intended correct answer. We're looking into sundance entrance.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

FWIW, I went with "entrance" because the 2-pointer had a verb (banning/canning) instead of a noun.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Emotional Devotional wasn't accepted. Oh well, 60 points ain't bad. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm Emotional Devotional wasn't accepted. Oh well, 60 points ain't bad. ;)
I love the creativity we saw with the responses. If there was any way to call a baptismal ceremony a devotional, I think that would have received credit.

By the way, I think we need a reminder of the amount of work rjaguar3 puts in, for free, every day. This despite recovering from an accident, which would certainly justify taking a break and letting someone else take lead if there were such a person available. I'm helping for the first time this year, and what he does is amazing - all the scoring, editing, plus writing much more than half of the category questions himself.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Anachronism wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:53 pm By the way, I think we need a reminder of the amount of work rjaguar3 puts in, for free, every day. This despite recovering from an accident, which would certainly justify taking a break and letting someone else take lead if there were such a person available. I'm helping for the first time this year, and what he does is amazing - all the scoring, editing, plus writing much more than half of the category questions himself.
Accident? What accident?

Anyway, thank you rjaguar3 for your hard work and for making this a wonderful Summer Hiatus Challenge. :D
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm Emotional Devotional wasn't accepted. Oh well, 60 points ain't bad. ;)
My rite fright was a neg as well. Oh well, 16 points at least demonstrates I showed up.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Let me be clear, with my comment/question I wasn’t trying to minimize the amount of work he has done on the SHC. It’s been a lot of fun and I’m truly grateful. I guess there was some sort of disconnect in my mind about the R6 clues, thinking he already had them written and was just waiting to post. As this is clearly not the case, I do apologize for that.
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

WooWho? wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:49 pm Was I the only one who couldn't wrap my head around that rhyming category at all?
You were not. I decided not to submit any answers for the category because I didn't have sufficient confidence even in the answer I found most plausible.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

It may not stay that way, but (atypically) I'm currently the only person with a perfect score for R5D6. The first two rhymes came pretty quickly, the third and fourth came after a few hours doing something else, and I took a guess on the fifth one. My (vintage 1982) degree in chemical engineering helped on the chemistry category.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a nice week. If I understand there is one more week for us bottom dwellers then a few rounds with the chosen ones?

I've tried to concoct a category to contribute, and IT'S HARD!! Something simple in a "Uncommon Sense" and I have gridlocked because a) most wind up as binary true/false choices, and b) everything is ambiguous on the internet. I thought of one about which to add first, the milk or the tea - it might as well be Hatfields and McCoys! I'll try to pitch in next year - I've got 3-4 good ones except for the Captain Obviousness of the answer.

I felt like the Chemistry category was a reward for suffering through an English Lit and dreaded Opera day. They were well written, but the Helmholtz one was straight YEKIOYD and might have gone last.

At the end of the day - thanks to all who have contributed and raspberries to anyone who is unappreciative!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.