LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by patkav »

cmp146 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 pm Congrats to alietr for your 9(6) victory against me yesterday.

I am having the stuffing kicked out of me this season. My 55 TAA is second worst in A Magnolia, and I am in the relegation zone. <sigh>
That jerk drank a beer on me yesterday! :)

I'm likely to be relegated. Wheeeeeee!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got pretty close to Lost Horizon; I came up with "Lost Paradise," but didn't tinker around with that particular phrase any further because I was afraid I was confusing Hilton and Milton. "The Hidden Isle" ended up being the phrase I gave up with.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I had to go back in to work Tuesday evening and made the mistake of having a cup of tea on the way in. I worked for a few hours, came home just before midnight, had a snack and... couldn't sleep for hours. I tossed and turned, surfed the web on my phone, tried all I could do to sleep, but I was as alert as could be.

At 2:30am Eastern time, the LL questions were released. I had been checking every few minutes since 2am, and got to them before I got an email.

I don't know what was in that tea, but not only did it keep me awake, but I had the fastest 6 pack of my career - answering everything in about 2 minutes.

I paid for this on Wednesday - I was dumb as a post and irritable all day, but for a few minutes in the middle of the night I had some superhuman, bad-Scarlett-Johansson-movie level of focus and brain power.

Tim Hortons steeped tea, if anyone else wants to experiment with mind altering trivia chemicals. Though I guess it could have been the left over Dairy Queen cake I had as a snack. If I ever make the championship, I know what I'm doing.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:58 pm J! has had enough clues about the sizes that I knew where to go with the bottles question. My problem was doubting whether my answer of "champagne" was enough as this teetotaler did not have the common sense to add bottles. When I submitted and saw the answer only had "wine" with (bottles) and nothing about champagne I had to wait to sweat out the judging. No problem as I got it correct and my 6(5)-2(3) victory had room to spare.
I wrote "champagne bottle" but since the given answer of "(wine) bottles" implied that simply "bottles" would count, I had no worry that a more specific and just as correct answer would not go.
I'm smart and I want respect.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm I got pretty close to Lost Horizon; I came up with "Lost Paradise," but didn't tinker around with that particular phrase any further because I was afraid I was confusing Hilton and Milton. "The Hidden Isle" ended up being the phrase I gave up with.
The hidden isle was LOST. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

patkav wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 pm
cmp146 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 pm Congrats to alietr for your 9(6) victory against me yesterday.

I am having the stuffing kicked out of me this season. My 55 TAA is second worst in A Magnolia, and I am in the relegation zone. <sigh>
That jerk drank a beer on me yesterday! :)
Hey! I represent that remark!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Just a PSA that the Midseason Classic is live.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lucky guesses on schmaltz and schwimmer. thought schmaltz was something sickly sweet, but I had to put something down!
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Boy last week was depressing for me. In the first 4 games I only got a total of 4 points. I also did so bad in the SHC that I gave up before the end.

I knew the Mark Antony question, but somehow put a different name and didn't go back and re-check my answers. On friday, I waited a long time to finish, hoping that some of the answers would come to me, but I just put down a bunch of guesses. Somehow all my WAGs were right so I got 4 questions right. The only guess I felt might be good was Schwimmer because the character in the question was jewish. How I ever got schmaltz was beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that I watched a few recipe videos on youtube that rendered out fat in chickens and ducks and perhaps schmaltz was mentioned and stuck in the recesses of my brain.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Boardie girl fight in AMag tomorrow. Best of luck to you, cmp146!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Reminder everyone:. The mid-season classic is still live! You have until noon Eastern/9am Pacific to submit. Represent your league!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 am Reminder everyone:. The mid-season classic is still live! You have until noon Eastern/9am Pacific to submit. Represent your league!
Thanks for the reminder! I was out of town over the weekend and haven't thought about LL until this morning.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am
boson wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 am Reminder everyone:. The mid-season classic is still live! You have until noon Eastern/9am Pacific to submit. Represent your league!
Thanks for the reminder! I was out of town over the weekend and haven't thought about LL until this morning.
I forgot about it until now, and was still able to submit (in 2 minutes).
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

patkav wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:57 pm Boardie girl fight in AMag tomorrow. Best of luck to you, cmp146!
You too! Go Ladies of A MAG!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:59 am Just a PSA that the Midseason Classic is live.
:( :geek:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So, last season I started out fine and then fought to stay out of the relegation zone. Well, this season I started pretty much at the bottom and now I'm fighting to get up and get out! The struggle is real, people!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Midseason Classic:

I got 11 right: somehow I read the "Most german speakers in a city outside Germany" to mean "outside of Europe" and I was completely stumped, but went with a lame guess of Buenos Aires. Why I moneyed it is another question with no good answer. Even if I had all 12 right, I wouldn't have cracked the top 50 due to bad moneying...

Congrats to boardie HerderS as co-champion! Congrats to Typhoon for the league championship!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm Midseason Classic:

I got 11 right: somehow I read the "Most german speakers in a city outside Germany" to mean "outside of Europe" and I was completely stumped, but went with a lame guess of Buenos Aires. Why I moneyed it is another question with no good answer. Even if I had all 12 right, I wouldn't have cracked the top 50 due to bad moneying...

Congrats to boardie HerderS as co-champion! Congrats to Typhoon for the league championship!
Yes, big props to HerderS. I only dropped 4 points but with 9 right that was only good enough for 5th place in my Rundle (top went to slam with bomtr in 4th). I should have had extinct right (put only found in captivity instead - damn Kosman koin) and did a forehead slap about Jackie Gleason. As a side note, I appear to be the only person in LL to have steadfastly avoided any and all things having to do with Jackass. :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:48 pm As a side note, I appear to be the only person in LL to have steadfastly avoided any and all things having to do with Jackass. :oops:
I've never seen one second of anything Jackass, but I know Bam Margera is associated with it. I managed to finish with 268 points, which was 5 short of the top 5 in my League.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I broke a streak of ties at three (one from ahead, two from behind) today, thanks to a lucky guess on the Triple Crown. I could name all three races, so that made my odds 1 in 6. My instinct said the Derby was in the middle, and sticking with that meant (without my knowing it for sure) that I was up to even odds. I knew that I had heard in one place or another that one of the races was the longest of the three, and Belmont felt right as that one. In private that get was the difference between winning and losing, but my official match would have been another tie from behind without it.