Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by seaborgium »

ALL-STAR GAMES: OUR FIRST-EVER TEAM TOURNAMENT!
It’s Season 35, and what better way to celebrate than with an big, all-star tournament featuring some of your favorite contestants of the last several years? Eighteen of our winningest and most popular players will compete head-to-head in our first-ever tournament with teams. How is this going to work? We’re glad you asked. Here’s a quick overview of the excitement in store for this season.

What is the Jeopardy! All-Star Games?

Unlike any other Jeopardy! tournament, where contestants compete individually, 18 players will be divided into teams of three: one captain and two selected players. All three members of the team will play during each match, but not at the same time. Teams will have to strategize and decide who will play each round: Jeopardy!, Double Jeopardy! and Final Jeopardy! Teams will advance based on point totals at the end of the game (with a wild card slot up for grabs). The top three teams will compete for a $1 million prize in the finals.

Who are the All-Stars?

The team captains are as follows: Colby Burnett, Buzzy Cohen, Julia Collins, Ken Jennings, Austin Rogers and Brad Rutter.

They will select from this A-list roster of players: Leonard Cooper, Roger Craig, Jennifer Giles, Ben Ingram, Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Alan Lin, David Madden, Pam Mueller, Monica Thieu and Seth Wilson.

How will the teams be selected?

This is where the excitement begins. All 18 contestants will participate in a Facebook Live draft event hosted by Alex Trebek (naturally), set to take place Saturday, September 22, at 10 a.m. PT (mark your calendars!). The live draft will also be the first live broadcast the show has ever done, so you fans will get a unique look at what happens on and off the set.

Is there any way I can participate in all of the action?

Actually, yes! Jeopardy! fans will be able to participate in a fantasy league sweepstakes to win a trip to any location around the world via Lindblad Expeditions. Later this season, you’ll be invited to draft your own three-person dream team to follow throughout the tournament. Every correct clue response from your players will earn you an entry into the sweepstakes. You’ll be able to draft your team and track your growing entry total here on Jeopardy.com.

When will the Jeopardy! All-Star Games air?

Save the dates: The tournament will air over the course of 10 weekdays from February 20 to March 5, 2019.

Visit and bookmark the All-Stars Live Draft page to get more info and to see the team results after September 22. And be sure to sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop for all things All-Stars!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by seaborgium »

I do have some nay-saying about some of the contestant selection that I'll keep to myself for now, but it's good to see David Madden getting a chance here again, as well as to have the Teen Tournament get some representation.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how the J! Archivists will handle inputting these team games.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 pm Also, it'll be interesting to see how the J! Archivists will handle inputting these team games.
I suspect that the coding required to keep it accurate would be immense. I suspect that there would just be a note at the bottom of each clue stating who got the clue (or maybe call the entrants Team Ken, Team Brad, etc and then note at the bottom of each clue who was playing when).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Apparently no Arthur Chu.
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

FYI it would appear that this new website is not supposed to go live until next week. The announcement is dated 9/10, so look for it to vanish soon. Also if you click around on there you could have all of next week’s games spoiled for you, so proceed with caution!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The team captains are as follows: Colby Burnett, Buzzy Cohen, Julia Collins, Ken Jennings, Austin Rogers and Brad Rutter.

They will select from this A-list roster of players: Leonard Cooper, Roger Craig, Jennifer Giles, Ben Ingram, Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Alan Lin, David Madden, Pam Mueller, Monica Thieu and Seth Wilson.

I'm trying to figure out the format.
For fun I will make 6 teams:

A. Colby Burnett, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig
B. Buzzy Cohen, Alan Lin, David Madden
C. Julia Collins, Ben Ingram, Pam Mueller
D. Ken Jennings, Larissa Kelly, Monica Thieu
E. Austin Rogers, Seth Wilson, Leonard Cooper
F. Brad Rutter, Alex Jacob, Jennifer Giles

Day 1: ABC (A high score moves on after one match?)
Day 2: DEF (D high score moves on after one match?)
Day 3: Then what?
Day 4:
Day 5:
Day 6:
Day 7:
Day 8:
Day 9:
Finals:

I am having trouble figuring out how to work out the matches. Two teams per match should not happen and it would be a mistake. Round robin? Double elimination. How to work out the wildcard? The powers will need sequestration at least part of the time. Finals one day or two?
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

I'm interested in seeing what they have in mind as a format. 6 teams playing 10 games is weird. You could conceivably have each team play 4 games against some combination of opponents, with the three highest scorers advancing to the final (presumably a 2-game total-point affair), but how it would work with sequestering and all that is hard to imagine.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just want to know more about how it is supposed to work.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 pm FYI it would appear that this new website is not supposed to go live until next week. The announcement is dated 9/10, so look for it to vanish soon. Also if you click around on there you could have all of next week’s games spoiled for you, so proceed with caution!
If our esteemed Powers That Be on this board think this thread should be deleted and wish to wait until Monday before we have something like it, I'm all right with that.
LucarioSnooperVixey

I've also noticed that all of the players are from 2000 and newer. It seems like Jeopardy! now wants young, fresh faces.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:59 pmIf our esteemed Powers That Be on this board think this thread should be deleted and wish to wait until Monday...
Cat's out of the bag!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Yeah, you can't really un-ring a bell.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i see there will be a live facebook draft on september 22nd...i guess wpwell will have to miss it since it is on a saturday and he apparently doesn't use internet on weekends
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Looks like the link is dead!
LucarioSnooperVixey

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:27 am Looks like the link is dead!
It will be revived on Monday. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

the Reddit thread got deleted, so I've got to post here. Kelly, Jackson, Craig, Jacob, Madden and Ingram are my first 6 picks.

Also, unless I'm Ken, Brad or Julia, I'm letting my first pick play double jeopardy.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think the reddit thread is still up.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... ent_jbuzz/

But the reddit forum is... not my preferred place to go to discuss Jeopardy!...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

still on the jeopardy fan
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 pm Apparently no Arthur Chu.
It does say "favorite contestants," so...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

chmmr wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:17 am the Reddit thread got deleted, so I've got to post here.
I think you might have confused "thread got deleted" with "all of Reddit went down temporarily"
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

So now we know what the “big announcement” is and I think it sounds like a hoot. I think this beats the $&)); out of fantasy football and its ilk and can foresee a thread here with our own fantasy league picks.