Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by xxaaaxx »

Not a fan of the silly 'each player plays one round' format (it ensures everyone gets screen time, I'm just not sure how 1/3 of a game from each of them will be more entertaining than a full game), but I won't say no to a chance to see some of J!'s best again.
seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 am I think Stephanie Jass might have been in this tournament instead of Larissa were it not for her recent legal troubles.
Why not both? Larissa should never be anyone's plan B. Not that we'll ever know. Agree with the rest.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:01 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 am Monica Thieu is the second representative of the College Championship. She was eliminated in the QF of her ToC, but a bigger FJ wager would have snagged her a wild card. Among women who won fairly recent CCs, I'd rank Erin McLean (wildcard semifinalist) and Terry O'Shea (QF winner) above her, but perhaps Monica was given the edge because she is the only person besides Brad to beat Ken in a game show competition (500 Questions).
Larry Zerner beat Ken in the 1 vs. 100 "Last Man Standing" competition in 2006.

Ogi Ogas also defeated Ken in the general knowledge portion of the Grand Slam Tournament in 2007.

However, when dealing with Jeopardy! players, then yea, Monica Thieu was the only one other than Brad.
(And also Watson, but he's not a person. :lol: )
I assumed that the only time Ken played 1 vs. 100 he was part of a successful mob. I don't like calling the survival of one against several others including Ken as beating Ken, but I'll accept it. However, I don't think Ogi counts; several people besides Brad have outscored Ken in a single round of Jeopardy, but it's only the final result that matters.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:50 pm
boson wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:37 amIf viewership goes up with better players ... everyone loves watching Maseratis.
These are likely bad assumptions, and we've had this conversation on this board and its predecessors too many times to count, but the summary goes something like this: Jeopardy! is a quiz show, implying not just quiz but also show, therefore, given the choice of picking players who don't just look good on paper but who also deliver on screen, producers are going to look to a variety of factors other than raw trivia memory or buzzing ability when casting. They're after those who are telegenic, good-natured, quick-witted, and sporting. Beyond that, casting a producers'-picks tournament means casting an ensemble, which means striking a variety of demographic balances, including, most evidently here, gender and age diversity.

It's also worth pointing out that there are plenty of examples of the looks-good-on-paper choices not being the triumphant players in tournaments. David Madden isn't a ToC winner and the inimitable Michael Falk is. Mehrun Etebari isn't a ToC winner and the indomitable Celeste DiNucci is.
I don't think I disagree with anything you have said here: it is a TV show first and foremost and a game second. Producers should continue to strive for the most entertaining and diverse show they can get. I also agree that judging quiz talent from a test+audition is, like drafting an athlete out of college, impossible to do perfectly. However you can increase your odds by picking the players at the top end.

I think Jeopardy would be more entertaining to me to watch if more of the players approached TOC caliber than the producers currently select.

The two assumptions that I'm making that may be wrong are:
1) That others are like me, and want to see higher quality of competition on the everyday shows. I believe the popularity of tournaments shows that this assumption isn't that big a leap.

2) That there are enough people who want to get on J! with really good quiz skills that the producers could increase the minimum passing scores on quizzes and still find people from all demographics who are likable and entertaining. The powers that be know this better than everyone else, so this assumption may be way off base, and I could be completely wrong here. Millionaire going to TCONA (and seemingly grabbing a bunch of attendees) and newer shows like 500 questions recruiting via Learned League prove that there are ways to recruit quiz talent that Jeopardy is ignoring. Jeopardy needs many more people than either of these shows, but I'd like to think that there are plenty of undiscovered TOC-level contestants out there.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Chicago(land) represent! :mrgreen:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I think that to increase the skill of contestants on the regular show TPTB would also have to increase the difficulty of the test. No respect to anyone on the board--especially since I am usually borderline on passing the online test and have never done better than a 45--but it doesn't exactly take a Rutter, Jennings, Vered, or Craig to get a perfect or near perfect score on the test. Personally, I think that TPTB do a fine job of picking contestants for the regular show. Scott Blish and Alex Jacob facing each other in regular play is dumb, but how do you prevent it?

I am not a fan of the team format, but since it will only last 2 weeks I can't complain too much. It seems to me that having the weakest player on a team play the J! round would be the best strategy, but I am not so sure about the other 2 players. The strategizing will at least be interesting.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

threearruda

Post by threearruda »

The show seriously needs to hire one of us to fact check items like those mini-videos. David Madden in 2003, eh? :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Golf

Post by Golf »

StevenH wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm It seems to me that having the weakest player on a team play the J! round would be the best strategy, but I am not so sure about the other 2 players. The strategizing will at least be interesting.
At first glance, I'd think the weakest player would play FJ. It's only one question and therefore subject to the highest variance. The strongest player naturally plays DJ.
yclept

Post by yclept »

StevenH wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm I think that to increase the skill of contestants on the regular show TPTB would also have to increase the difficulty of the test. No respect to anyone on the board--especially since I am usually borderline on passing the online test and have never done better than a 45--but it doesn't exactly take a Rutter, Jennings, Vered, or Craig to get a perfect or near perfect score on the test. Personally, I think that TPTB do a fine job of picking contestants for the regular show. Scott Blish and Alex Jacob facing each other in regular play is dumb, but how do you prevent it?

I am not a fan of the team format, but since it will only last 2 weeks I can't complain too much. It seems to me that having the weakest player on a team play the J! round would be the best strategy, but I am not so sure about the other 2 players. The strategizing will at least be interesting.
There could be some attempted trickery, though I doubt it. For example, Ken thinking “I bet the other captains are all going to play DJ. Maybe I will play the Jeopardy round and try to amass $12,000”. Would one of the captains take that risk? Of course, if more than one did, it could blow up as a strategy.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm At first glance, I'd think the weakest player would play FJ. It's only one question and therefore subject to the highest variance. The strongest player naturally plays DJ.
There are some "weak" players in this field that I wouldn't want touching Final Jeopardy! with a 10-foot pole if I were a captain.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:16 am i see there will be a live facebook draft on september 22nd...i guess wpwell will have to miss it since it is on a saturday and he apparently doesn't use internet on weekends
Just to be a jerk? Really?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On FB I saw multiple posts that the taping is January 8 & 9. The format is still a puzzler as I can't come up with anything that makes sense. Those kind of logic things are not my specialty. Perhaps there is some kind of trick as player introductions will take more time and there won't be 10 games over the 10 days like the Watson games?

For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
So you'd be opposed to "Make Mine A Collins"?
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Jeopardy usually has 3 tournaments or special events a year to coincide with sweeps months - November, February and May.

February = All Star tournament

Does anyone know the plans for November and May? I would presume that one of them is a College championship but I do not know which one.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 pm Jeopardy usually has 3 tournaments or special events a year to coincide with sweeps months - November, February and May.

Does anyone know the plans for November and May? I would presume that one of them is a College championship but I do not know which one.
The Teen Tournament has already been taped and is already on the calendar on the website.

Additionally, a start date of February 20 also implies that there is still going to be a February tournament prior to the All-Star Games. We'll get more of an idea as to whether it is College or otherwise likely within the next month or so (namely, if there's a tournament, there will be online testing coming up in the next 4-6 weeks).
Andy Saunders
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 pm Jeopardy usually has 3 tournaments or special events a year to coincide with sweeps months - November, February and May.

The revamped website lists the Teen Tournament as commencing on November 7.

Concerning February - note the late start (2/20/19) on this All-Star Tournament. Stands to reason that another event, most likely a College Championship, will immediately precede it. Teachers likely in May, in line with the past few seasons, and with Teacher Appreciation Week falling in that month.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:43 pm

The Teen Tournament has already been taped and is already on the calendar on the website.

Additionally, a start date of February 20 also implies that there is still going to be a February tournament prior to the All-Star Games. We'll get more of an idea as to whether it is College or otherwise likely within the next month or so (namely, if there's a tournament, there will be online testing coming up in the next 4-6 weeks).
Thanks, Andy. And thanks, mfc248. I live near the Sony lot and have attended several of the tournament tapings. Now I need to work my contacts to somehow get into the studio in January for the All Star taping.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am
For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
Considering that Pam Mueller's recent trivia team name at the NTL Championships in New Orleans was Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge (well, it could have been the choice of JyV92, hanzz or Matt Frost, too) I don't know what you could be talking about ;)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

mfc248 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:43 pm

The revamped website lists the Teen Tournament as commencing on November 7.

Concerning February - note the late start (2/20/19) on this All-Star Tournament. Stands to reason that another event, most likely a College Championship, will immediately precede it. Teachers likely in May, in line with the past few seasons, and with Teacher Appreciation Week falling in that month.
And as I've been expecting for awhile now, I am further resigned to many (12?) more months of preparation time,
aka
time spent in fervent prayer that another Jennings-caliber outlier doesn't arrive and qualify for the TOC :?
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RobW wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:36 pm And as I've been expecting for awhile now, I am further resigned to many (12?) more months of preparation time,
aka
time spent in fervent prayer that another Jennings-caliber outlier doesn't arrive and qualify for the TOC :?
The most number of regular-play games won by a ToC champion is 9.
Andy Saunders