Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by CasketRomance »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am
For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
Considering that Pam Mueller's recent trivia team name at the NTL Championships in New Orleans was Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge (well, it could have been the choice of JyV92, hanzz or Matt Frost, too) I don't know what you could be talking about ;)
sounds like a boring team name...not as exciting as the one i use for bar trivia "festering bucket of entrails"
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

StevenH wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm I think that to increase the skill of contestants on the regular show TPTB would also have to increase the difficulty of the test. No respect to anyone on the board--especially since I am usually borderline on passing the online test and have never done better than a 45--but it doesn't exactly take a Rutter, Jennings, Vered, or Craig to get a perfect or near perfect score on the test. Personally, I think that TPTB do a fine job of picking contestants for the regular show. Scott Blish and Alex Jacob facing each other in regular play is dumb, but how do you prevent it?

I am not a fan of the team format, but since it will only last 2 weeks I can't complain too much. It seems to me that having the weakest player on a team play the J! round would be the best strategy, but I am not so sure about the other 2 players. The strategizing will at least be interesting.
Let's see, one of those four didn't get invited.... <sniff>

It should be a fun tournament to watch in any case. I 'm looking forward to it.
Last edited by JyV92 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
Considering that Pam Mueller's recent trivia team name at the NTL Championships in New Orleans was Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge (well, it could have been the choice of JyV92, hanzz or Matt Frost, too) I don't know what you could be talking about ;)
Man people no this board are SCARY informed. It was Matt Frost and I think Patrick McKinney. It was fait accompli as far as I knew.

how the f do you guys know this stuff????
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Also, I'm curious: does anybody know why Madden got the opportunity to play this time around after he turned down (or was barred from?) the BotD tournament on legal grounds related to his job?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am Also, I'm curious: does anybody know why Madden got the opportunity to play this time around after he turned down (or was barred from?) the BotD tournament on legal grounds related to his job?
Having no further knowledge of the situation, my guess is that he probably decided to cut ties with whomever caused his ineligibility.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

JyV92 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 pm
Man people no this board are SCARY informed. It was Matt Frost and I think Patrick McKinney. It was fait accompli as far as I knew.

how the f do you guys know this stuff????
Easy: I was sitting three tables away from you guys as part of Eric Berman's team and later was on your team for running Charades :mrgreen:
I try to suss out which ringers show up at these events to better assess the competition. 99 Problems are well known to us and Sharks with Freaking... we know brings in PerryS as their ringer (I consider him the Spearchucker Jones of trivia competitions). This year there was also a team from DC that included a lot of top quizzers, so that added to the competitiveness of this year's event.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I see Arthur Chu's absence has already been discussed. I really hope he declined rather than was not invited, because it's a real slight if it's the latter.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It would be easy enough for him to comment on it on Twitter if he wanted to, but he hasn't.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I assume there will be a rule in place that you have to rotate your players between games, right? You can't have the same player as FJ! on every game, for instance.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am I see Arthur Chu's absence has already been discussed. I really hope he declined rather than was not invited, because it's a real slight if it's the latter.
Right. I say this as someone who can definitely be rubbed the wrong way by Arthur’s personality and politics — I hope this was his decision, because otherwise it doesn’t reflect well on TPTB, I don’t think.

Generally speaking, it’s good to extend a broad latitude to those with unusual personalities and beliefs — even (particularly) when it’s difficult. Or that’s how I see it, anyway.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

How do these All-Stars become such trivia powerhouses?
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Saturnalia wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am I see Arthur Chu's absence has already been discussed. I really hope he declined rather than was not invited, because it's a real slight if it's the latter.
Right. I say this as someone who can definitely be rubbed the wrong way by Arthur’s personality and politics — I hope this was his decision, because otherwise it doesn’t reflect well on TPTB, I don’t think.
+1

I wasn't sold on Arthur going into his ToC, but he was downright scary and was only done in on bad luck on FJs in the finals. I would love to see him get another shot.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm
+1

I wasn't sold on Arthur going into his ToC, but he was downright scary and was only done in on bad luck on FJs in the finals. I would love to see him get another shot.
On the other side look at someone like Joon Pahk who was dominant on the show and only done in during the TOC by playing one of the best players in the history of the show. He’s also the nicest guy in the world so why should we feel bad that Arthur didn’t get a second shot when Joon and many others like him also didn’t.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm
StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm
+1

On the other side look at someone like Joon Pahk who was dominant on the show and only done in during the TOC by playing one of the best players in the history of the show. He’s also the nicest guy in the world so why should we feel bad that Arthur didn’t get a second shot when Joon and many others like him also didn’t.
One way or another I would like the answer to the Chu question. Arthur's regular wins total, money won, and ToC performance would seem to line up well with the All-Star field as picked. There are multiple negatives associated with Arthur and the powers would be aware of those drawbacks.

With the format as stated I'm not sure a team type situation would be the best for Arthur. Perhaps another big event down the road will have Arthur in the mix. Time will tell.

Joon should have been in the BotD. His win total and ToC finish do not outright scream making the All-Star pool of 18 even if he could easily be ranked higher than #19.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I mostly agree with Mark, though I don't see how the team format works against Arthur more than anyone else who could have been picked. I also don't see how Joon or any other contestant *should* have been in the BotD when there were so few spots for so many deserving contestants. The only really egregious snubs were Brian Weikle and Bruce Seymour, imo.

Jeff, I think you are being too biased in favor of Joon because of your own private interactions with him. The overwhelming majority of ToC contestants seem to be nice people, and there are plenty of others who you could argue are as deserving as Joon (like Tom Nissley, Mark Runsvold, or Vijay Balse). There just isn't anything about Joon's credentials that scream "invite him!" Mark hit the nail on the head when he said that Arthur's accomplishments line up with who ultimately did get an invitation.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My point was more to say that there are plenty of damn good players who are more than qualified and could easily fill a spot in this and also might be nice and enjoyable to have back. I think they were totally in the right to leave out Jerry with his legal issues and likely left out Stephanie from consideration here due to her legal issues. If they want to leave Arthur out for “off the field” issues I think it’s perfectly legitimate, he chose to keep himself in the public eye and has a very intentionally controversial public persona so if that cost him a spot here it’s a result of his own choices.

I might take issue if, say, they chose to leave him out of the TOC that he qualified for because of controversial Twitter comments, but this is an invitational tournament and while yes most of the top game winners are there and it is fairly obvious he would merit consideration, they obviously have the right to pick who they want and if they chose to leave Arthur on the outside looking in so be it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 am
Easy: I was sitting three tables away from you guys as part of Eric Berman's team and later was on your team for running Charades :mrgreen:
I try to suss out which ringers show up at these events to better assess the competition. 99 Problems are well known to us and Sharks with Freaking... we know brings in PerryS as their ringer (I consider him the Spearchucker Jones of trivia competitions). This year there was also a team from DC that included a lot of top quizzers, so that added to the competitiveness of this year's event.
Any idea who was there from DC?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am Also, I'm curious: does anybody know why Madden got the opportunity to play this time around after he turned down (or was barred from?) the BotD tournament on legal grounds related to his job?
The NHBB Middle School championships aren't televised on the History Channel anymore, right? Also, NHBB had an affiliation with writing for a show that had been on the History Channel, and is no longer there.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 am
Any idea who was there from DC?
Bill Patschak for sure. I'll query my teammates to see if they recall any others. It's all done by visual recognition (and posts on social media) since only team names are used at the event.

ETA: FB to the rescue! In addition to Bill and Brandon, the team consisted of Jeff King, Neil Davis and some dude named Andy Kravis.
Last edited by Woof on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Man, biggest game show prize winner in history goes more incognito than one would expect