Monday, September 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby »

Forget all lesser ornamentation, the beard is our new national treasure.

Thought there'd be some rust after the break but I did all right with a 32,400 coryat.

Massive river trip in the Southern Hemisphere = Brazil. Seemed too easy and I tried to pull anything better during think music, rejected all comers, and stuck with it.
I would prefer not to.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Friendly reminder regarding spoilers:

If you have knowledge of upcoming games, keep them to yourself.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
davey

Post by davey »

I had a 3-step process on this FJ.
Big country in the Southern Hemisphere...Australia!
Not known for its waters...
Big country in the Southern Hemisphere known for its waters...Brazil!
Crude, but it worked...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Another "Australia" here. After about 20 seconds I started wondering about South America, but I don't think I would have made it as far north as Brazil in any case.

I like the beard.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

44 right.

U.S. Open: 50 Years (5), Exercising Your Options (3), Famous Threesomes (4), "In" The Dictionary (3), His Widow Lived On (5), State Looks Up (4)
Back to Basics (4), History (1), Business (4), Movies (5), Literature (3), Colleges East of the Mississippi from K to Q (3)

Lach Trash: invincible, José Carreras, Colorado, mainstream, San Jose; Daily Double: Princeton

I had Brazil, Chile, South Africa, India, and Australia all in my mind, and decided to go with Brazil because of the Amazon.

I liked spotting all the different things in the intro (those darn Etruscans, Watson, the moustache with September 21, 2001 underneath, the dreaded Opera category). Plus, Alex's beard- I think it's alright.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 pm I have to admit I'm shocked at how many people are already saying they missed this one. Good to have the show back.

#TeamBeard
Concur.

I thought 'through' was a big hint to look within a country rather than without. Landed on Brazil instantly and never looked back.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 pm Also, there's no reason for me to not know the Ivy League schools automagically.
I keep telling myself I'l re-memorize them, and then I forget. It took every last nanosecond of Isaac's struggles to pull out Princeton :oops:
I went looking for a mnemonic, and found this one, with has the advantage of being listed in order of their founding:

Hey you penny pinchers, Charlie Brown don't care!

(Harvard, Yale, Penn, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:43 pm I went looking for a mnemonic, and found this one, with has the advantage of being listed in order of their founding:

Hey you penny pinchers, Charlie Brown don't care!

(Harvard, Yale, Penn, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell)
This is great. Thanks! As an additional observation, for the two sets of schools that start with the same letter, the one founded first is also first alphabetically.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Leander wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm Considered Brazil, but talked myself into Indonesia, figuring she ocean kayaked around the islands.
Horrible answer. I'm just glad someone besides me went for it. I also thought about going around the many islands. Perhaps because I just the day before saw something on TV about the MANY islands of that nation, and it stuck in my brain. Not for one instant did I think about going 2,000+ miles down a river in a single country.

Sigh. Off to an 0-1 FJ start despite everyone else thinking it's Kids Week material.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:10 pm Thought of Indonesia first, wasn't sure where it was relative to the equator, figured there was nothing preventing a coastal trip and came up with.... Chile. Oof.
Same incorrect conclusion here. Figured if someone kayaked along the coast within territorial waters, they were still traveling "through" the country.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Question: How is Clay Jacobsen's directing of the program different from McCarthy before him, if I may ask?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jlgarfield wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm Question: How is Clay Jacobsen's directing of the program different from McCarthy before him, if I may ask?
I didn't really see any differences. I think, going into their 35th season, they've pretty much got the format down.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just in case anyone cares or did not notice: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6096

The 9/10 and 9/11 games are in the Archive thanks to whoever gets credit for it. The S35 marker and link are not in yet.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

trainman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 am
jlgarfield wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm Question: How is Clay Jacobsen's directing of the program different from McCarthy before him, if I may ask?
I didn't really see any differences. I think, going into their 35th season, they've pretty much got the format down.
They sure have. When Dick Schenider directed, I remember that they had the Daily Doubles shown full-screen and used quite a few different camera angles then. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jlgarfield wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 pm
trainman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 am
They sure have. When Dick Schenider directed, I remember that they had the Daily Doubles shown full-screen and used quite a few different camera angles then. :)
The only difference I've seen so far is that they now use the jib on the "We'll be back for FJ! right after this bumper" instead of a static shot.

On the other hand, when Robert Ennis started directing Wheel, I notice a ridiculous amount of mistakes.