Tuesday, September 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

If anyone's curious, here's a Becky Warren song (from her forthcoming album Undesirable). I know she was introduced as a rock musician, but her style seems more "alt-country" to me.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:08 pm Lori’s baseball story was a balk and deserves a fine in the kangaroo court. 1988 first date at Dodger stadium and the Dodgers won. Fine. The next day the Giants won and clinched the pennant? Say what? Obviously wrong in more than one way.
At first I thought she was just wrong with the year (89 instead of 88), but the Dodgers swept the Giants their last home series. However, even though the Giants lost the 3rd game of the series, they -did- clinch the pennant that day since the Padres lost as well and stayed 4 games behind with 3 left to play. (Did she say the Giants actually won? Or just that they clinched the pennant?)
https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... ores.shtml

Edit: She only said the Giants clinched the pennant the next day, not that they won, so she just got the year wrong.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 pm "Paul Allen"? Definitely too generic a name to stick in my head.
But his business card has a watermark! How can you forget him!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,000
44 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: pseudonym

A true WECIB for FJ! That's two super-easy FJ!s to start the season, but only one that the vast majority of us got right.

Do. Not. Throw. Away. DDs. Rick absolutely should have wagered enough on DD3 to guarantee himself the lead going into FJ! It's unfortunate that that mistake cost him tens of thousands of dollars.
Foretopman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm Was I the only one who heard "Robinson Caruso"? I kept expecting a reversal on that.
That response was as primitive as can be.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Vowela wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm Who were the people in the pre-FJ! commercial bumper?
John Lauderdale is the stage manager. Maggie Speak (no glasses) is a producer. Someone with more recent stage experience will have to identify the 3rd person.
Corina Nusu, senior contestant coordinator.

And I also heard "Car-u-soe" on that one clue.
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

Did anyone else notice that the clips of Ken Jennings showed the number of days won, even though they were excised from the original broadcast?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks, Volante: In my mind I like "clinched the pennant" for winning the National League and not just the NL West though I understand when the term is used for wrapping up the division. One year off almost 30 years later can happen to anyone's memories. Fine reduced.

Thanks, trainman: I like the song and the video and bumped it up a notch to 12 likes. On The Voice I've heard many singers with lesser skills get a chair turn. Is there a Mellencamp on Becky's family tree? That was my remind-alike for some other songs I sampled.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I wonder if Robinson Ca-ruso is a common enough alternate pronunciation that it’s iffy to neg...

I know I’ve heard it referred to that way multiple times in the past. In fact, I was recently assigned that book as summer reading for my Master’s program, and just last week a peer mentioned that a friend of his pronounces it that way...

So I did sort of chuckle when I heard it pronounced that way tonight, but I wasn’t surprised it was accepted.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

This is the first time (according to the Archive) that they have asked for "Vanuatu" on the show. That makes it the last widely recognized country in the world to have been a correct response to a clue, though there is one that has never been given by a contestant:
Spoiler
Comoros. There was a clue in 1989 that asked for "1 of the 4 independent island countries of Africa located in the Indian Ocean", to which a contestant responded "What is Madagascar?" and Alex gave "the Comoros" as one of the other possibilities.
Bonus JBoard-related fact: both times that a clue has asked for "Tuvalu", the .tv domain was used as a crucial hint (without it, Tuvalu would probably be the only remaining country yet to be an answer).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I might as well have repeated yesterday's FJ answer
Spoiler
Brazil
. Never heard of it and couldn't produce any good wrong answers. So far this sucker is over 90% I think.

Surprisingly, the Beard is OK. But don't go back to the 'stache. I was rooting against the beard sight unseen just because - enough with the crappy beards already :!: .

Yes, he definitely said Robinson (Enrico) Caruso and I thought Vanatu should have been accepted the same as Hawaya for Hawaii but I missed the opener episode where there was some syllabic nonsense and maybe that is something different now. Both players should have been asked to "please repeat" before negging or accepting.

I get the short DD3 wager - it was enough to make Lori have to attempt both bottom row clues sight unseen and if he'd missed, he would only need one of them. The long odds went against him.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yep, I also heard Caruso and waited for the reversal. I also chided Rick for his DD wager and wasn’t shocked to see it come back to bite him. Kids week FJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

blueoncemoon wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Foretopman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm Was I the only one who heard "Robinson Caruso"? I kept expecting a reversal on that.
No, I heard it too. Coming as it did so close to the Vanatu/Vanuatu question, I was surprised.
Yeah, I thought that was total BS.

I think that FJ is going to poll very high, but we'll see.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Lol went with Vanderbilt. I know it's named for a person, but the word sounded plausible to me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm
That response was as primitive as can be.
Posts like this are part of why I like to join in here each week.
ACW

Post by ACW »

So the building of a home in German is "Hausbau"?

If it's "Bauhütte" as fikklefame says, it should be the changing of A syllable.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ACW wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 am So the building of a home in German is "Hausbau"?

Google Translate turned the English "house building" into "Hausbau." Bauhütte is a term for a mason guild. It would appear the coinage was intended to refer to both things. On one level the term upgraded Bauhütte from a hut to a house, but on another level it is the syllable swap the clue referred to.
ACW

Post by ACW »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 am
ACW wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 am So the building of a home in German is "Hausbau"?

Google Translate turned the English "house building" into "Hausbau." Bauhütte is a term for a mason guild. It would appear the coinage was intended to refer to both things. On one level the term upgraded Bauhütte from a hut to a house, but on another level it is the syllable swap the clue referred to.
Oh, well then, I stand corrected.

Though can someone please explain Lori's bet for FJ? It didn't seem like there was any logic.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm This is the first time (according to the Archive) that they have asked for "Vanuatu" on the show.
I guess I shouldn't have been so confident in my pre-call. I blame Pointless. And yes, I got it.

The character Flaca mentioned the band Bauhaus on the episode of Oranges: The New Black I watched last Friday (I'm not a binge-watcher), and while I'm sure I would have known it anyway, that probably helped make it the insta-est of gets.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

ACW wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 am
Though can someone please explain Lori's bet for FJ? It didn't seem like there was any logic.

She admitted to a miscalculation in the Reddit thread. Figured as much, considering she wagered with the 1 on the end and was just a few hundred short. If she had wagered 5,000, then this might be a different story.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

This was a case during FJ where I knew too much about specific design schools and didn't think to keep it simple. I have architects and designers in my close family, so I went that route rather than the German route and came up blank. Oh well, 50% to start the season...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm I get the short DD3 wager - it was enough to make Lori have to attempt both bottom row clues sight unseen and if he'd missed, he would only need one of them. The long odds went against him.
If he misses, she only needs to answer one clue correct to have the lead. He can answer one and still be behind. Barring negs of course.

The correct wagers were either <$800 or $3201-$4799. The cutesy 'tweener wager is almost never correct. Plus the fact it was a round number indicates he really wasn't sure what to do.