LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

0(0) on MD15 - there's a nice symmetry to that
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

It's been a tale of two seasons for me so far. I started out with four straight losses, but have since recovered by going 9-2-0 from MD 5 on and have risen to fourth place in my rundle. I feel like I'm due for a regression to the mean, but I'm not going to complain about that level of success!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

cmp146, I underestimated your knowledge of horse racing! Good match. I'm glad we're both out of the relegation zone (for now, at least. I'm still dangerously close).

peachbox, 'zat you I'm facing today? Best of luck!
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Yep that's me...good luck yourself! :)
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Total guess on the race courses but I got them in the correct order! I’m having a pretty good run...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Second day in a row I've gotten a sports question right. This time it feels far more flukish than Monday's match. Nothing but a vague sense of someone who'd been playing a long time for one team, and my mind spit out Dirk Nowitzki. That's probably the most startled I've been to be right upon submitting LL answers. And like yesterday, the three points from it made my margin of victory (although this one's tie would have been one of mutually perfect defense).
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Got my third 9(5) of the season yesterday. In fairness, though, tequila was my first thought for the song, and should have been my guess. (I put down Southern Comfort.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am Got my third 9(5) of the season yesterday. In fairness, though, tequila was my first thought for the song, and should have been my guess. (I put down Southern Comfort.)
I had Southern Comfort, too. Interestingly my opponent assigned me zero for that one and I assigned him three. He ran the table, so it didn't actually matter.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am Got my third 9(5) of the season yesterday. In fairness, though, tequila was my first thought for the song, and should have been my guess. (I put down Southern Comfort.)
I had Southern Comfort, too. Interestingly my opponent assigned me zero for that one and I assigned him three. He ran the table, so it didn't actually matter.
I put down Southern Comfort, too. I now have racked up 11 MCWA, a personal record for me, though still far from Dawkins territory. It does put a cherry on what is shaping up to be one of my weirdest seasons ever in LL.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I'm currently first in B Taiga with a 11-3-2 record via a so far grind it out season of 4 and 5 correct answer matches (and maybe/kinda/sorta finally figuring out how to defend effectively). Following my only sub-4 correct match of the season on Monday (a surprise 4(3) win thanks to knowing the Triple Crown length order), I finally got my first 9(6) of the season yesterday after not even a 9(5) through the first half.
I would prefer not to.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Nowitksi and Jemisin are 2 people I've never heard of!!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I might be the only person who immediately thought 'Lomond, ok, these are lochs' then thought 'no, he wouldn't ask something THAT easy' then thought 'hey there is also a ben lomond' then thought 'yeah let's go with ben, loch is too easy' and now thinks 'you goddamn idiot'. Overthinking anybody?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am Nowitksi and Jemisin are 2 people I've never heard of!!
I'd forgotten that Nowitski was still active.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

3 weeks after 9/11, I was in Scotland and hiked up Ben Lomond. It’s quite misty up there. I guessed David Robinson instead of Nowitzki. I’ve heard of the latter but I thought he’d been on a few teams.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

The Nowitzki question was tricky given a lot of recent retirements (Duncan, Ginobili, both with the Spurs long term) and some high scorers who have been around a while (Westbrook), but Kobe as an MCWA? OK then. When did he retire?

I've been out of the country music loop recently, so I felt lucky to have had a conversation about "Tequila" on Saturday. Listened to it, still don't think it's country. No shame, only points, right?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was playing my referrer the other day, and I know he's a sci-fi buff so I was able to give him 0 for the Hugo Awards question and squeak out a win.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Just on a side note, the Broken Earth trilogy is FANTASTIC. I hadn’t read fantasy since I was in college, and Jamison got me back into it, and fast.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

patkav wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 pm cmp146, I underestimated your knowledge of horse racing! Good match. I'm glad we're both out of the relegation zone (for now, at least. I'm still dangerously close).
Yup, I also had a shelf-full of horse novels at age 8 (okay, so I still have a shelf-full of horse novels). :-)

I am also the current leader in A Magnolia for CAA with 77. Still barely keeping my head above the pink zone of relegation, but it is hard.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I noticed that PerryS's match yesterday had what must be the rarest of ties: 9(5)-9(5).
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

If you enjoy science fiction, the Jemisin trilogy is an absolute masterpiece--supremely inventive and meaningful. The Hugo award is very well deserved.

(I was so confident on this one, that I entered "Mae Jamison," who is the astronaut of course. A case of unneeded information being wrong and sinking me.)