Wednesday, September 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm Teetotaler/temperance was huge negbait IMO, since both have three E's. And they overturn "Green market" but not that?
Agreed. When Alex announced a change in scoring, I figured it was going to be teetotaler or maybe even that they'd found some evidence for "patch parks". Greenmarket just wasn't on my radar as a real one-word term. But apparently I was wrong that the term had to be one word. Alex specifically said "Those two words contain three E's".

It was nice to see Monica get some money back, though. She had some rough breaks, including the part where she obviously knew Mandy Patinkin but just couldn't dredge up the name.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I found the SIMILAR WORDS (or whatever) category a little confusing. On some clues they wanted both words and on others they spotted you one. I couldn't process what they wanted quickly enough.

Sorry, Alex. There was no à in the middle of Thomas Becket's name. It was erroneously added hundreds of years later, possibly in imitation of Thomas à Kempis (who would have hastened to instruct the error maker that it is not his humble self that one should be imitating). People in the know leave it out.

That bust of Beethoven looked nothing like any portrait I've seen. I finally guessed correctly, but with the game on pause, because the cloth around the neck area look to be from the right time period.

I knew Ursula K. Le Guin had died in the past couple of years. I didn't remember it was just this past January. Sadly, I find The Farthest Shore--which they used as a way of talking about Le Guin's own death--to be a really dull read. I love the first two Earthsea books and then that third one just d r a g g g g zzzzzzz. I'd have been much happier if the clue had snuck in a reference to The Lathe of Heaven. Highly recommended. I re-read that one every few years.

I thought the man's name was Guillotte and they added the -ine to refer to his device. So close. :cry:
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Well, for the first three shows this season, all three contestants have gotten FJ right!

Has this happened before?

In any case, we shall see how much longer this perfect streak of everyone being right in FJ will continue.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

It's nice to see big paydays. It would be nicer to see a pay raise for 2nd and 3rd. Why do they continue to exploit the players - do they think they are the NCAA?

I loved the early interaction with Lori about letting the other contestants have a turn. She must have been impressive in her tryouts.

Instaget FJ with the extra "e" because of complete inattention. I know the real spelling but only with 80% confidence so it would have been a struggle to leave it off at the risk of being ruled incomplete. I think re-writing the clue to name the instrument would just make it a top box clue - might as well just say "head-chopper-offer". I thought Dr. Guillotin's story was pretty well known, but a few boardies seemed to have missed the memo. Just like I did with that design school I never heard of :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request for broken glass.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was another who was surprised at the decision to accept guillotine, but I knew Guillotin’s name from a book on the history of capital punishment written by a friend. Another game featuring two strong players.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm The easy way to fix this would have been to ask for the device, rather than his name.

In 1789 this doctor proposed 6 articles on penal reform to the French Assembly, including one on capital punishment

becomes

In 1789 the French Assembly received a proposal of 6 articles on penal reform, including one on capital punishment, from a doctor now famously associated with this invention
addams1.jpg
addams1.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wasn't positive that the doctor's name was Guillotin, but I had my suspicions, and so I decided to leave off the E with the justification that it would be easier to argue that "in" could be pronounced "een" than to argue that "ine" could be pronounced "ɛ̃" (which is the IPA symbol for the French pronunciation of final "in").

I think it would have been interesting if acceptance of "Guillotine" had been conditional on no one spelling the name correctly. (For all we know, it could have been.) I know I'd have been ticked if I had been the only one to write "Guillotin" and lost to someone I would have beaten if "Guillotine" weren't accepted.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

32,200 coryat.

Since we don't nasalize, I'm not seeing how the added "e" definitively changes the pronunciation in English. Heroine, valentine, and gasoline are all variously pronounced. This seems as ticky tack as the "k-ru-soe" vs "kru-soe" talk yesterday.

Any other Death Grips fans on here?

I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:17 am Since we don't nasalize, I'm not seeing how the added "e" definitively changes the pronunciation in English. Heroine, valentine, and gasoline are all variously pronounced. This seems as ticky tack as the "k-ru-soe" vs "kru-soe" talk yesterday.
Even without nasalization, Guillotin's last syllable still isn't pronounced anything like "teen." It rhymes with the last syllables of Chopin and Gauguin, which we also pronounce without nasalization.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 am
Bartleby wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:17 am Since we don't nasalize, I'm not seeing how the added "e" definitively changes the pronunciation in English. Heroine, valentine, and gasoline are all variously pronounced. This seems as ticky tack as the "k-ru-soe" vs "kru-soe" talk yesterday.
Even without nasalization, Guillotin's last syllable still isn't pronounced anything like "teen." It rhymes with the last syllables of Chopin and Gauguin, which we also pronounce without nasalization.
But does adding the "e" definitively change the pronunciation to "teen" in English? Could the added "e" not be superfluous similar to "heroine" and "heroin?"
I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 am
But does adding the "e" definitively change the pronunciation to "teen" in English? Could the added "e" not be superfluous similar to "heroine" and "heroin?"
To answer your first question: yes, of course it does, because "guillotine" has an established pronunciation. Even if it didn't, there's still no precedent for pronouncing "tine" as "tan."
davey

Post by davey »

Bartleby wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 am
It could be pronounced as een if it were a Spanish name - like Joaquin - (or by someone with a Spanish accent?). J! doesn't ask players to be accurate with the special pronunciation rules of other languages. Sounds can't be added or taken away, but substituted sounds are (often) accepted...
Granted, it would be weird if they accepted Chopine or Gaugine...
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Wonder if Annie Lennox would've gotten "broken glass." :D
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 pm I got Guillotin without the E. :geek:
Seems that you and Dr. G. will do anything to get ahead.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Man, Monica had a tough game. Looks as if she couldn't get in on the signaling device for love or money, and when she finally did, she started tossing up wild guess after wild guess. And the champ played as solidly as she did in her win the previous game, but just not quite enough for this game.

The "marital-martial" clue made me chuckle as it calls to mind an old, old one-liner about marriage: the difference between marital and martial is where you put the "I."

OK, didn't say it was an old, funny one-liner.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

But what if you've never heard the pronunciation and know French loves it's superfluous ending letters?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am
But what if you've never heard the pronunciation and know French loves it's superfluous ending letters?
If you don't know, it could be like Martin, a name pronounced with een in Spanish, not so in French - would they penalize someone for adding e to that? (BTW, the clue refers to the French Assembly, but doesn't specify that the doctor was French... ;) )
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Lavoisier (with near-zero confidence). Post-game research shows me that he died by guillotine, so at least there is a connection.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am But what if you've never heard the pronunciation and know French loves it's superfluous ending letters?
Almost as much as we love our superfluous apostrophe's.