Thursday, September 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

RobW wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 pm Was anyone else surprised to learn that restauranteur is actually restauranteur?
I assume you meant "restaurateur" one of those times. Anyway, I knew it, but I didn't always. It was among the last words I learned how to spell.

But what I really came here to say is that I know the daughter of the co-writer of "Bedtime for Bonzo".
I'm smart and I want respect.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

RobW wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 pm Was anyone else surprised to learn that restauranteur is actually restauranteur?

:shock:

But I still think she should've gotten credit. (that "incorrect" usage is just too easy to find...)
Clue specifically said no N.

My team played ND most years so South Bend was an instaget.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The way I justify it as follows: the "ant" is just like the adjectival ending "ant" in English, so a "restaurant" is "restore" with the adjectival ending. The "ateur" is like "ator" at the end of some English nouns, so "restaurateur" is one who restores—a "restorator." Just as "restoration" has no N before its second T, neither should "restaurateur."
Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 pm I assume you meant "restaurateur" one of those times.
He crossed out the N the second time, what more do you want?
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 pm Really good FJ! clue. I really enjoyed this one.
I thought it was good, too. Took me quite a while to remember Knute Rockne, then a second or two to get from there to South Bend.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: (Gold Fever), Prozac, (Appalachian Spring), Caracalla, *Doll*
Douglas Squasoni
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Instaget FJ. I didn’t pay close attention to the entire game as I’m a Florence refugee but I’ll probably rewatch it next week.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 pm
Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 pm I assume you meant "restaurateur" one of those times.
He crossed out the N the second time, what more do you want?
Sorry, it does feel like a lot of hard work went unappreciated.
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 pm Not only that, but you'd have to know that the screening was apparently off-campus in nearby South Bend (Notre Dame is an unincorporated town, and has its own zip code).
It didn't have its own ZIP code in 1940!

I figured that there wouldn't have been a movie theater in the town of Notre Dame, so South Bend it was.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I haven't seen any Ronald Reagan movies and missed the clue - Laredo was my guess. There's been another Knute Rockne / Ronald Reagan clue because I got to South Bend after Alex gave a hint before the reveal.

I ran several categories but missed a lot too.

I don't remember ever seeing that Pringles slogan.

Christopher Walken was my guess for the cowbell question instead of Will Ferrell. Jeopardy writers like SNL.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

trainman wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 am
Anachronism wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 pm Not only that, but you'd have to know that the screening was apparently off-campus in nearby South Bend (Notre Dame is an unincorporated town, and has its own zip code).
It didn't have its own ZIP code in 1940!

I figured that there wouldn't have been a movie theater in the town of Notre Dame, so South Bend it was.
South Bend didn't have a zip code in 1940, either.

Notre Dame had its own post office by the end of the 19th Century and I don't think it has ever been governed by South Bend. We can speculate as to whether an unincorporated town of a few thousand that also includes a major university would have had a movie theater bigger than a breadbox in 1940. The premiere may well have been in South Bend itself, but that's a fairly big leap of faith to make that assumption given that the premiere itself was not a notable event in history (of course, Notre Dame is all about faith, so...)

I used to work at a paper that often used Notre Dame athletic stories as filler (my boss was an alum), and if we dared not change South Bend to Notre Dame in a dateline (because AP can get sloppy when it's using stringers), we'd hear about it.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Not up on the details of Reagan's films and thought Dallas for a western. As soon as Alex started talking, I realized it was the Gipper --> Notre Dame --> South Bend. Half second too late. :oops:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

My coryat game appears to have improved over the break from my ~30,000 average last season with 37,400 today and an average of 34,050 through these first four games. Hope this is the new normal.

Ronald Reagan = "Win one for the Gipper" = Notre Dame = South Bend, Indiana. Instaget.
I would prefer not to.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

harrumph wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pm Somehow I thought Notre Dame was in Terre Haute.
Somehow I thought Notre Dame was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Nor was I sure about the reference being to Notre Dame. Basically, FJ was a WAG gone wrong for me.)

Played FJ from this thread. Jeopardy! was pre-empted by coverage of multiple gas leaks, explosions, and house fires in three towns in MA.
Teems with quiet fun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 am South Bend didn't have a zip code in 1940, either.
Nothing had a ZIP code in 1940.
davey

Post by davey »

Odd that Lauren got negged for restauranteur, quite properly, especially since it was specified in the clue (though Kyle's restauratoor wasn't perfect French, either)...and minutes later Kyle got away with enunciating the non-existent t in Cap'n Crunch for Contractions...I suppose the clue could be read as referencing the original word...:roll:

What came immediately to mind for FJ...and never left... :cry: ...was "Where's the rest of me!?" but I couldn't recall the movie name (King's Row, the town it takes place in...) If I'd gotten to the (obvious) right movie South Bend would have been a cinch... :roll:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am
Anachronism wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 am South Bend didn't have a zip code in 1940, either.
Nothing had a ZIP code in 1940.
That was my point. In fact, you can look at zip code assignment in 1963 to illustrate Notre Dame's separation from South Bend. The first three digits identify a sectional sorting center and the last two determine which post office delivers that mail. Post offices serving smaller populations would handle only one zip code.

South Bend had a code in 1943, though, and Notre Dame did not.

South Bend is large enough that it takes all mail from the 466 section. You see that with a lot of larger cities. However, Notre Dame is 46556, and received mail from the section that served post offices in several counties surrounding South Bend. That's an indication that going back into the early '40s, the Notre Dame post office was separate from the South Bend zone. In the '40s-'60s, larger cities sorted mail based on a two-digit code. That's the genesis of today's codes. Only 124 of our larger cities used these two-digit codes. So 46613, which is a South Bend zip code, stems from "South Bend 13" used from 1943-63 (the system started during WWII because the post office lost most of their experienced clerks to the war and newer clerks were having trouble sorting quickly enough).

Only 17 of the South Bend 466 sorting center codes are in use even today - it wasn't among the larger of those 124 cities (while it ranks 299th in population the US today, it was 89th in the country in the 1940 census). But Notre Dame would have a 466 code if it were considered part of South Bend in the early 1940s.

Notre Dame may equal South Bend in our understanding - its center is less than two miles from downtown South Bend - but the bottom line is that if someone answered "Notre Dame, Indiana" on yesterday's show, it would be problematic, depending on where the premiere was actually held. Because we associate the movie with the Notre Dame football coach and it's not really "good" trivia to have to determine whether the university has or had a theater appropriate for a premiere.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:29 pm "Whose" was my only miss in Contractions.
It's a miss in written form as well, although you didn't change pronounciation.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Poll possibility for this week: I knew the proper word for the proprietor of a restaurant was "restaurateur" before Thursday's game. I certainly did not.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought King's Row was his biggest movie, so I was nowhere near South Bend.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am
Shawn’s 8000 was a pretty number and it more than covered Lauren’s potential doubling. It did not keep him above Kyle’s expected fall to number of 9599 though. Kyle says thank you.
True dat. This certainly didn't take long. Only four games into the new season and some guy gives away a game he should have won by making an absolutely awful FJ wager. Kyle says thank you indeed. As of right now (Saturday) Kyle has gone on to win his third game and make it into the J! Hall of Fame, with next target being a spot in the ToC. If he makes it, I wonder if Shawn is on his Christmas gift list.