Monday, September 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Monday, September 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

My first thought was East of Eden, but then later wondered if Absalom, Absalom would be it. Stuck with my first answer, thankfully.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm Reese’s story was about being a bourbon enthusiast while none of the players got the French royal house clue.
Let alone that the others didn't get it. When HE didn't get it, all I could think of was "What IRONY!"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The last DD was an amazing clue to me, and not in a positive sense. I guess you're supposed to know that the US flag has 13 stripes (duh). And you learned long ago that for a while the country thought of adding a star AND a stripe for each new state, until they realized how unwieldy the flag might become. And here in this clue they give you that they added a new stripe for each of the two new states after the original 13, and somehow you're supposed to figure out that that made 15 stripes.

I thought, the kids on kids week would be insulted by a clue that ridiculously easy, and yet it was a DD in the second round. I've said before, it seems the writers are having more trouble than usual matching the difficulty of clues to the dollar value. Your honor, Exhibit A.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am I thought, the kids on kids week would be insulted by a clue that ridiculously easy, and yet it was a DD in the second round.
I agree. I think it would have been fine as a top row clue, but it sure as heck shouldn't have been a DD.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm Reese’s story was about being a bourbon enthusiast while none of the players got the French royal house clue.
Let alone that the others didn't get it. When HE didn't get it, all I could think of was "What IRONY!"
I muffed that one hilariously. "Royal house? Uhh... Versailles?..." Cause they listed Paris in the clue and that's a place...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am The last DD was an amazing clue to me, and not in a positive sense. I guess you're supposed to know that the US flag has 13 stripes (duh). And you learned long ago that for a while the country thought of adding a star AND a stripe for each new state, until they realized how unwieldy the flag might become. And here in this clue they give you that they added a new stripe for each of the two new states after the original 13, and somehow you're supposed to figure out that that made 15 stripes.

I thought, the kids on kids week would be insulted by a clue that ridiculously easy, and yet it was a DD in the second round. I've said before, it seems the writers are having more trouble than usual matching the difficulty of clues to the dollar value. Your honor, Exhibit A.
Something about the syntax in the question threw me off the rails and my spot answer would have been eleven stripes. I never heard the paradigm that the flag went through a phase of one stripe per state, and I wasn't sure those two states were #14 an #15, although I knew they were early. Of course it's an easy clue if you recognize the arithmetic problem of 13 + 2, but it looks like a trap clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
50 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dust storm, House of Bourbon, The Supremes

My wife is from Portland, and we have had the beach vs. coast discussion many times.

If you didn't sing your answer to the The Love Boat clue, I'm not sure we can be friends.

Count me as another who thought the Stripes On The Flag DD was ridiculously easy.
Sprinkles are for winners.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Probably nobody will respond to this comment because I'm now a couple of weeks behind in watching Jeopardy! episodes due to having spent some time traveling; I just now watched the 9/17/2018 episode on the dailymotion website.

Am I the only person who responded, "Who is George Marshall?" to the clue about the 5-star general who would go on to have another government job later?

I had to pause the episode to Google him and it turns out that he was also promoted to 5-star general in December 1944, along with Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, and Henry "Hap" Arnold. All four were promoted to 5-star general in December 1944. Considering Eisenhower became President, Marshall later served as both Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State, and Hap Arnold later served as General of the Air Force, any of those 3 responses would have been right. I would really love to know if the writer of the clue even knew that. And if Alex would have told me I was incorrect if I had responded, "Who is George Marshall?"
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm Reese’s story was about being a bourbon enthusiast including having tried Pappy Van Winkle’s while none of the players got the French royal house clue.

If Christine sang any more of her SHOWS BOATS $1000 response that probably would have cost the show money and she might have had to redo her response.

The FJ! clue had me go right to the correct author and from there the correct response. My pen was down and I was done although during think time I considered OMAM with George & Lennie could not fit.

Kyle was the only player with 2/2 on big clues to complete a very nice fourth victory. He’s the top 4x champ and can pass Rachel Lindgren & Gilbert Collins with a win tomorrow to go from 8th on the tracker up to 6th.
They would have just edited out part of Christine's response to avoid having to pay royalties. The reason she didn't immediately choose the next clue: she was waiting for Alex to tell her she was correct, which he never did.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

34 R/5 W (Got 20 R in DJ!)

Coryat: $25,600
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

The hardest clue in the rhyming terms category was the $400. I think the writers misfired there.

FJ! was tough for me; I've heard of East of Eden, but had no idea what it was about.

Lach Trash: dust storm, Patton, pika, sea cow
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am The hardest clue in the rhyming terms category was the $400. I think the writers misfired there.
(Here's the archived game for discussion purposes: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ardy_round )

Interesting. I guess it's too late for a poll request. :) The rhyming clues all seemed equally easy to me except the $1200 clue which I didn't get and barely recognize the term. That's where I think the writers misfired. Probably bringing in some shop talk that they assume everyone else uses too. I would've thrown that clue out entirely and substituted one that was looking for hoity-toity or higgledy-piggledy (now THAT'S a $2000 box response) or hanky panky.

And while we're on that category, haven't we had contestants negged before in rhyming categories for giving an almost-but-not-quite rhyming answer (e.g. something like the contestant says "what are fat cats?" and gets the oooh sohrry). Anyway, this time we got a clue specifically looking for a not-quite-rhyme: heebie-jeebies. I don't object, but if they haven't been cutting slack on other responses that rhyme plus or minus an s, they need to start doing that.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am 34 R/5 W (Got 20 R in DJ!)

Coryat: $25,600
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

The hardest clue in the rhyming terms category was the $400. I think the writers misfired there.

FJ! was tough for me; I've heard of East of Eden, but had no idea what it was about.

Lach Trash: dust storm, Patton, pika, sea cow
I thought the rhyming terms category was weird. They weren't particularly tough - I like it when wordplay categories reexpose me to those SAT vocabulary words, and this definitely wasn't that. But the clues all felt more like you were trying to read the minds of the writers, like you were playing some form of Pyramid. For me, all the responses were minor groaners once revealed, if you didn't get them. I did get hippie-dippie, but failed on handy-dandy...though I did think heebie-jeebies at $1600 was the easiest of the lot.

I came up with yet another plausible Steinbeck incorrect answer - Of Mice and Men. Looking it up, the saying comes from a German book, but has been used to translate a passage in Proverbs. And, spoiler alert: George kills his brother Lenny. So, I'd say it's a good-sized neg. Grapes of Wrath is also plausibly biblical, given that the song is about Revelations. I guess there's no shortcut to reading the books...I'm in your boat. Heard of East of Eden, and could probably pull Steinbeck after a LONG time, but wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:54 am I came up with yet another plausible Steinbeck incorrect answer - Of Mice and Men. Looking it up, the saying comes from a German book, but has been used to translate a passage in Proverbs. And, spoiler alert: George kills his brother Lenny. So, I'd say it's a good-sized neg.
The title comes directly from a Robert Burns poem, and Lennie and George are not brothers.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:54 am I came up with yet another plausible Steinbeck incorrect answer - Of Mice and Men. Looking it up, the saying comes from a German book, but has been used to translate a passage in Proverbs. And, spoiler alert: George kills his brother Lenny. So, I'd say it's a good-sized neg.
The title comes directly from a Robert Burns poem, and Lennie and George are not brothers.
I'm curious what German book the saying is claimed to have come from, also which proverb it was used to translate.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:43 am
Philliesfan02 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am The hardest clue in the rhyming terms category was the $400. I think the writers misfired there.
(Here's the archived game for discussion purposes: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ardy_round )

Interesting. I guess it's too late for a poll request. :) The rhyming clues all seemed equally easy to me except the $1200 clue which I didn't get and barely recognize the term. That's where I think the writers misfired. Probably bringing in some shop talk that they assume everyone else uses too. I would've thrown that clue out entirely and substituted one that was looking for hoity-toity or higgledy-piggledy (now THAT'S a $2000 box response) or hanky panky.

And while we're on that category, haven't we had contestants negged before in rhyming categories for giving an almost-but-not-quite rhyming answer (e.g. something like the contestant says "what are fat cats?" and gets the oooh sohrry). Anyway, this time we got a clue specifically looking for a not-quite-rhyme: heebie-jeebies. I don't object, but if they haven't been cutting slack on other responses that rhyme plus or minus an s, they need to start doing that.
Hippie-dippie - maybe a different spelling - had at least one great proponent-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uaw3WIOlc
Herky-jerky is entirely familiar too, and I'm no photographer...
Heebie jeebies is a near-rhyme only because it's always in the plural...but I'm sure under J! rules they would have accepted heebie jeebie... :)
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:54 am Grapes of Wrath is also plausibly biblical, given that the song is about Revelations. I guess there's no shortcut to reading the books...I'm in your boat. Heard of East of Eden, and could probably pull Steinbeck after a LONG time, but wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it.
Remember that you've just negged on J! by adding that non-Biblical s...Having read the Bible is sufficient to get this clue without reading the Steinbeck. "East of Eden," in the Land of Nod, is where Cain is exiled to. I guess Steinbeck thought "Land of Nod" wasn't so resonant...