Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Medal ceremony

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Medal ceremony

Post by rjaguar3 »

We've come to the end of the fourteenth annual Summer Hiatus Challenge. It's hard to believe how the seven weeks have flown right by!

First of all, I want to thank DadofTwins for creating the SHC and running it brilliantly for ten years. When MarkBarrett asked me in June 2015 whether I'd be willing to do the scoring for a (then very much in planning) 2015 SHC and I replied yes and that I was willing to write "maybe a dozen categories", I knew that I was stepping into very big shoes. I thank DadofTwins for his continued encouragement and support, even in times when the work seemed difficult.

Next, I want to thank Anachronism and Blue Lion who helped write and edit questions for this year's SHC. Not only did they review and offer extensive suggestions to improve the questions, they also contributed many well-written categories of their own. When my injury a month ago sidelined me, they stepped up their writing and editing efforts to ensure that the SHC would continue uninterrupted. Having run last year's challenge without editing help, I am very grateful for their help this year.

I want to thank all the guest writers who contributed categories for use this year. I extend a special thanks to those whose categories were used: Clue Jungry, CoachP, John Boy, Linear Gnome (2 categories), Magna (3 categories), morbeedo (4 categories), mujason, NoWhammies10, Peachbox, SweepingDeveloper, TheTabbyWhisperer, Woof (4 categories), WooWho? (2 categories) and the anonymous contributors of 3 categories. In all, 26 guest categories were used this year. From these 26 very creative categories, the players selected one category from each round as a finalist for the Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing. The finalists were
  • Retain +1 anagrams (Magna, R1D2)
  • Cryptic crossword clues "P" (Linear Gnome, R2D6)
  • Retronyms (Woof, R3D2)
  • "Z" names (Anonymous, R4D1)
  • Servants in film & TV (Magna, R5D3)
  • Game shows with multiple hosts (NoWhammies10, R6D4)
This year's winner of the fourth annual Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing, as selected by you, the players, is Magna, for the category Retain +1 anagrams. Congratulations to Magna for the well-deserved award!

Now, I want to thank everyone who played. This year, we had 106 players play at least one day (including 16 rookies). By my count, 70 players (including 8 rookies) played at least 30 days. This year's Tournament of Champions featured 14 players vying for the championship:
  • Six weekly winners: Wpwells (R1), PowerofHoodoo (R2), cinemaniax7 (R3), SwanShadow (R4), NoWhammies10 (R5, and a rookie too!), and LucarioSnooperVixey (R6, and a rookie too!)
  • Seven wild cards: mujason (ATB), RJRouge (Rookie), Woof (Senior), cheezguyty, Clue Jungry, mrbungle, JoshuaKreitzer
  • One past champion: Schliemann
Here the the final results of the TOC:
In 14th through 4th place:
14. LucarioSnooperVixey 267
13. Woof 271
12. SwanShadow 328
10 (tie). cinemaniax7 and Wpwells 332
9. RJRouge 342
8. mrbungle 348
7. cheezguyty 355
6. Clue Jungry 363
5. JoshuaKreitzer 375
4. mujason 377

Now for a very close top 3:
In third place, with 403 points, is a perennial TOC participant,
PowerofHoodoo

In second place, with 411 points, a rookie who convincingly won Round 5 by a 46-point margin and came just a few points short of winning it all,
NoWhammies10

And, the winner of the 2018 Summer Hiatus Challenge, winning yet another championship, with a score of 414 points, is last year's champion,
Schliemann
I can't even keep count of how many championships Schliemann has won. Congratulations again to Schliemann for another amazing win and all the other TOC participants for a hard-fought contest.

Running the Summer Hiatus Challenge, especially in the midst of getting settled on the West Coast, starting a full-time job, and an inopportune injury, was quite demanding, but lots of fun. I'd love to come back and do it all again for the 15th Summer Hiatus Challenge in 2019. I look forward to seeing you again next summer.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Medal ceremony

Post by alietr »

Congrats to Schlie and the other podium dwellers. You've shown us just how knowledgeable some people can be. A special thanks to our favorite fast feline for putting this all together, the clue writers, and all of the participants for continuing this beloved JBoard tradition.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am Congrats to Schlie and the other podium dwellers. You've shown us just how knowledgeable some people can be. A special thanks to our favorite fast feline for putting this all together, the clue writers, and all of the participants for continuing this beloved JBoard tradition.
+1 as I can't say it any better than that.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I did really well this week considering most of those were not strong points for me. I feel very much accomplished for being in the TOC.

I have been constantly improving on those weak spots, and hopefully I will do even better next summer. :D
Douglas Squasoni
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am Congrats to Schlie and the other podium dwellers. You've shown us just how knowledgeable some people can be. A special thanks to our favorite fast feline for putting this all together, the clue writers, and all of the participants for continuing this beloved JBoard tradition.
Agreed!

Congrats Schliemann on the well-earned victory.

And a special thanks to rjaguar and the entire team for putting this on. What a fun tradition that I can't wait to be part of again next year!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Congratulations to the ToC medalists and participants, and copious thanks to rjaguar3, Anachronism, and Blue Lion for running an enjoyable and high-quality SHC. If I'm not mistaken, not a single replacement question was used--quite a testament to the excellent writing and thorough editing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thanks again to all involved. The SHC is a great diversion during the "long, dark teatime of the soul." And yet again, while I am honored to have made the TOC, it serves to remind me just how outclassed I am by the other TOC participants. Congrats to Schliemann and the other medalists.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to Schliemann and the other TOCers - very impressive all round! Thanks to rjaguar3 and the team - another stellar run of questions.

The SHC is part of my anti-hubris regimen: ten questions a day to combat your ego! Congrats to those who excel - you give me a goal to shoot for.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Thanks for a great and fun SHC! And congratulations to everyone!

And I'm very honored by the Paucle Memorial writing award. Thanks everyone. :)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

"...Yet let's be content, and the times not lament, you see the world turn'd rightside up."

the best is, unsurprisingly, the best! bravo, mighty Schliemann, and many thanks, tireless rjaguar3, and to all who made it go! :)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Congratulations, Schlie! And many thanks to rjaguar3 for organizing and administering the SHC! The writing of clues was better than ever, and the competition was excellent as always. Well done, all!
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Congratulations to the inimitable Schliemann, whom I figured would walk away with another championship, and did.

And I'll add mine to the chorus of thanks already expressed to rjaguar3 and the crew of writers and scorers who gifted us with yet another fun summer. You all rock!
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Congratulations to Schliemann, NoWhammies10, and PowerofHoodoo! Big thank you to the question writers and, especially, rjaguar3 for running the SHC. :)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks to Rjaguar and the team with the broad shoulders. The writing was excellent and I hope to chip in next season with a couple of categories. This was a nice guilty pleasure and now it's time for a new rhythm and rut. Even though I'm a real low scorer, it is cathartic to click around and see other boardies' with triple and quadruple clams on some categories. And, more often, with sweeps or single clams.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm glad so many people took part in and enjoyed this year's SHC. It was my pleasure to have been part of the SHC team, and look forward to joining again next year. Thanks, all!
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

Thanks everybody! Thanks to G & L.

Many thanks to rjaguar and crew for making the SHC possible and for maintaining it at DoT's high standard and quality. Hat tips NoWhammies and PowerofHoodoo on the medals and most special shout out to my Geek Bowl brother in arms mrbungle.

May the Favor of Culver City one day move telephonically toward my direction.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Schliemann wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:10 am Thanks everybody! Thanks to G & L.

Many thanks to rjaguar and crew for making the SHC possible and for maintaining it at DoT's high standard and quality. Hat tips NoWhammies and PowerofHoodoo on the medals and most special shout out to my Geek Bowl brother in arms mrbungle.

May the Favor of Culver City one day move telephonically toward my direction.
From your lips to TPTB's, Schlie.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

rjaguar3 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 am
And, the winner of the 2018 Summer Hiatus Challenge, winning yet another championship, with a score of 414 points, is last year's champion,
Schliemann
I can't even keep count of how many championships Schliemann has won. Congratulations again to Schliemann for another amazing win and all the other TOC participants for a hard-fought contest.
Two messages:

1. Many thanks for all who helped put this thing together.

B. Isn't it about time to retire Schliemann and put him out to stand at stud?
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

Thank you to rjaguar and all of this year's clue writers and editors.