LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by mrparadise »

I was pretty sure I had one of my rare six packs but sitcom was wrong as was grappa ( I would have bet a lot on this one).Managed a 5(4) 2(3) win anyway. It would have been closer had not Thorsten accepted my misspelling defenestration as defrenestration. It actually was a typo as I knew and meant to type the correct spelling.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'd like to celebrate my 4th 9(6) in 7 seasons, and it couldn't have come at a better time!

Defenestration took a while, but finally got there after reading the question a few times (tough way to go...)

Got credit for "Z"ambuca, happily, because that's how my Italian-American family always said it (which doesn't make it right, I know)

Golf!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm friends with my opponent from yesterday on Facebook, so I knew he was a booze connoisseur (he's been "brand ambassador" for two businesses with "spirits" in their name, and another job title on his profile is "drinks writer"), and that he's currently traveling through Italy, so I gave him 0 for the sambuca question (which ended up being the only thing I didn't know). He proceeded to miss it and tied me 6(3)-6(5).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm I'm friends with my opponent from yesterday on Facebook, so I knew he was a booze connoisseur (he's been "brand ambassador" for two businesses with "spirits" in their name, and another job title on his profile is "drinks writer"), and that he's currently traveling through Italy, so I gave him 0 for the sambuca question (which ended up being the only thing I didn't know). He proceeded to miss it and tied me 6(3)-6(5).
I wonder what his answer was, with those credentials. I flubbed with Galliano, myself.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm I'm friends with my opponent from yesterday on Facebook, so I knew he was a booze connoisseur (he's been "brand ambassador" for two businesses with "spirits" in their name, and another job title on his profile is "drinks writer"), and that he's currently traveling through Italy, so I gave him 0 for the sambuca question (which ended up being the only thing I didn't know). He proceeded to miss it and tied me 6(3)-6(5).
I wonder what his answer was, with those credentials. I flubbed with Galliano, myself.
Thinking about other Italian spirits, you've got Amaretto (almond flavored, not an anisette), grappa (a brandy), Frangelico (hazelnut/herbs) and, yes, Galliano (herbs)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:47 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 pm
Thinking about other Italian spirits, you've got Amaretto (almond flavored, not an anisette), grappa (a brandy), Frangelico (hazelnut/herbs) and, yes, Galliano (herbs)
I went Amaretto. For some reason, I thought ouzo had almonds. Wrong A flavor.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew ouzo was an anise-flavored liqueur, and I figured that was probably the connection, but I wasn't sure what the Italian analogue was. I said grappa because I knew that was a thing that was Italian.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I answered with Limoncello, not thinking hard enough about the specific flavor of the liqueur.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 pm I went Amaretto. For some reason, I thought ouzo had almonds. Wrong A flavor.
Amaretto, too. I've never heard of grappa.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was sure it was anisette. I don’t enjoy bitter liqueurs. I did get the other 5 correct but my opponent got all 6!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I wonder how many spellings of pyrrhus were accepted yesterday. I wasn't sure if it ended in us or os, but ended up guessing right.

Won 5(3)-0(0), missing death, the cheese one, and Ariana Grande. I've never heard the song but both my wife and my 2 daughters knew it...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Great books I’ve never read:
  • O, Pioneers!, Willa Cather
  • Pioneers in Venice, Thomas Mann
  • A Pioneer in the Family, James Agee
  • Pioneers of the Heart, Elizabeth Bowen
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The only books I remember by Willa Cather are My Antonia and O Pioneers.
So that would make it Pioneers.
But I can't imaging 'pioneers' being in the title of that many books.
What about Ship of Fools?
That was Catherine Ann Porter.
Wait... wasn't there a book called Death Comes for the Archbishop? Wasn't that Willa Cather?
Yeah, maybe. Didn't James Agee write A Death in the Family?
I think so!
Sure, let's go with that.

*submits*

Huzzah!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I knew, and have read, precisely one things Thomas Mann did - and I was pretty sure Willa Cather hadn't written any books with Venice in the title. Sometimes it pays to not be well-read.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LearnedLeague: the beatings will continue until morale improves!

Yikes, the last week has been brutal for me.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I read O Pioneers! & I think I own My Antonia. I’ve heard of Death Comes For the Archbishop but it took me some time to get there. Death in Venice & Agee’s book helped. I’ve never heard of the last one. Is it any good? I knew most of the others except for the YouTube guys. I read about them briefly.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The Hesse question (that I muffed) last week got me thinking about his bud Thomas Mann. Although I've read The Magic Mountain and Faustus, I have only heard about one novella he wrote, Death in Venice. Having no clue about the others (My Antonia and O, Pioneers were so unlikely to be it), I went with Death. Fortunately, he kindly stopped for me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Is Learned pronounced with 1 or 2 syllables? I was listening to the Trivial Warfare podcast and all the guests were saying Learn-Ed League

Also, will my One-Day Special proposal be accepted?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:05 am Is Learned pronounced with 1 or 2 syllables? I was listening to the Trivial Warfare podcast and all the guests were saying Learn-Ed League
Yes, two syllables: learn-ed.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I make dumb mistakes a lot in LearnedLeague, but yesterday may have taken the cake on the Penn question...I currently have about 6-7 cans of Penn racquetballs in my gym bag. Somehow, I knew that was the "similar or accessory item" but went with the "tennis racquets" MCWA instead. Nope, that's Penn's parent company Head that does the racquets. *face palm X 3*