FJs for the 4/23/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 4/23/12 week?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 pm

This state is known as the "Cockpit of the Revolution" for all the battles there, including a pivotal one in December 1776
58%
In 1977 Juanita Kreps, the first woman on the board of the NYSE, became the first woman to head this Cabinet dept
57%
It launched its first offer on Oct. 22, 2008: a two-for-one pizza deal in Chicago
85%
It's the constitutional kingdom of more than 6 million whose road vehicle sticker is seen here - HKJ
42%
In Greek myth he became the prey when he was killed by Scorpius; now they're both in the sky
74%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
QUOTES IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: The signers of this 1620 document pledged to "combine our selves togeather into a civill body politick"
90%
LITERARY VILLAINS $800: The sinister Mrs. Danvers torments the second Mrs. de Winter in this 1938 novel
50%
OLD MONEY $1600: This colorful currency printed during the Civil War lent its name to a political party of the 1870s & '80s
67%

Total votes: 101

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/23/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state is known as the "Cockpit of the Revolution" for all the battles there, including a pivotal one in December 1776

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN'S FIRSTS

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1977 Juanita Kreps, the first woman on the board of the NYSE, became the first woman to head this Cabinet dept

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WEBSITES

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It launched its first offer on Oct. 22, 2008: a two-for-one pizza deal in Chicago

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL ROAD VEHICLE STICKERS

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the constitutional kingdom of more than 6 million whose road vehicle sticker is seen here - HKJ

4/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONSTELLATIONS & MYTH

4/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Greek myth he became the prey when he was killed by Scorpius; now they're both in the sky

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
New Jersey
Commerce
Groupon
Jordan
Orion

The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 2-2-3-0-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players followed by two triple stumpers.

QUOTES IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: The signers of this 1620 document pledged to "combine our selves togeather into a civill body politick"

LITERARY VILLAINS $800: The sinister Mrs. Danvers torments the second Mrs. de Winter in this 1938 novel

OLD MONEY $1600: This colorful currency printed during the Civil War lent its name to a political party of the 1870s & '80s

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Mayflower Compact
Rebecca
Greenback
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/23/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Answered Treasury for Commerce
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: No chance with Rebecca. Not everyone knows it, Alex.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got lucky with the coinflip for Secretary of Commerce (vs. Treasury). And once I got "Hong Kong" out of my head (it never was a kingdom), I saw the "J" and figured Jordan, which I know is a kingdom.
Knew Rebecca from the Hitchcock movie (I may have read the book in HS, but not sure), plus the fact they "borrowed" the storyline for one of the "Dark Shadows" story arcs back in the day. "Greenbacks" fit the time frame for the political party.

And, if Friday's FJ has you down, you can always have an Orion's Belt:

http://uglycouchshow.com/quarks-bar-drinks/#orions-belt
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

The only one I even guessed on was HKJ -> Hong Kong. Honestly, I never knew "kingdom" was synonymous with "monarchy" even though KING is right there in the damn word.

Honestly, I thought Mayflower Compact was overvalued.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Went with PA first, thinking Valley Forge. Considered changing to NJ.
Went with Treasury first, thought about changing to Commerce.
Groupon was instant.
Knowing it couldn't be Hong Kong, I started trying to figure out a monarchy with a K...then moved to J.
Prey, hunter, Orion.

Mayflower Compact was a snap.
Couldn't have gotten Rebecca (it's on my list!)
If greenback was a DD, I would've gotten it, but didn't pull the trigger on a normal clue.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:shock: :mrgreen: :oops: :( :mrgreen:

Not a thrilling week...whiffed on Mon and worse lapse on Wed. Would have gotten "_________ Kingdom of Jordan", certainly in a "H"ARD GEOGRAPHY category, but the abbreviation baffled me...
Glad to run the extras, all fairly automatic. I haven't checked the archive, but it's my impression that Rebecca, as movie or book, comes up again and again on Jeopardy! (Like 1984!) Once seen as played by Judith Anderson, Mrs. Danvers is not easily forgotten.
Last edited by davey on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Crap week. misses were Treasury (retrospect, duh) Pizzeria Uno (just because I was pretty sure it's based in Chicago? maybe?) and missed the "Kingdom" part of the clue and wondered if HKJ was something to do with Honshu/Hokkaido+Kyushu= Japan? But isn't there another main island? But I had nuttin else.
No way on Rebecca, but shoulda had greenback.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Monday: Figured that it had to be either New York or New Jersey, picked the right one.
Tuesday: I guessed Treasury and figured that would be too obvious, but really had no idea.
Wednesday: No chance. Not my category.
Thursday: Was able to put the pieces together and arrive at the correct response.
Friday: Thought of Orion first just from the category but then dismissed him for some reason. I guessed Pegasus. For some reason the clue made me think the correct response would be an animal. I don't know how I managed to muff this clue so badly.

The extra clues were all good ones for me.
No chance with Rebecca. Not everyone knows it, Alex.
To be fair, the clue was grossly undervalued, especially since "Winston Smith=1984" was the clue under it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: The only one I even guessed on was HKJ -> Hong Kong. Honestly, I never knew "kingdom" was synonymous with "monarchy" even though KING is right there in the damn word.
They're not synonymous. The world's monarchies include kingdoms, sultanates, emirates, principalities, and a grand duchy. (And Japan has an emperor and Vatican City has a pope.)

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Said Delaware on Monday, would have gotten Tuesday's right if I had had the Cabinet departments memorized (I knew it wasn't Treasury, but was hard pressed to think of an alternative), and got as far as coming up with a J country on Thursday.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 92-68
First third:46-29
Second third: 40-35
Extras: 45-51
TOC: 5-5
College: 4-6
Teachers: 5-5
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 2)
Longest FJ losing streak: 5
5/5:2
4/5:6
3/5:12
2/5:11
1/5:0
0/5:1

No chance on Groupon, I've heard of it but did not know what it does. got the others on educated guesses, all the information was news to me,

Rebecca seems to pop up a lot, but still missed it.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri May 25, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Had no idea I had a fiver until I saw the poll. Second one this month, so either the clues are getting easier or I'm getting smarter :D

Almost perfect overall, but still can't quite pull it off. My mom loves Rebecca and I've meant to read it but never have. I recognized the names, just couldn't get to it.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Drew a blank on HKJ; greenback would have been my guess on, say, a contestant test, but wasn't sure enough in the moment. Knew Rebecca from Hitchcock.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

My very first 5/5 week during regular season play. I feel I am slowly improving. Better than I was a year ago. Hopefully this will be the first of many.

Rebecca was buried in my brain somewhere; definitely not retrievable.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Monday: I remembered the 'Washington Crosses the Delaware' painting and initially said Delaware, but then they I remembered from one of the recent Online Test transcripts (the Teen one?) that the Delaware River was the western border of New Jersey. I wouldn't have gotten FJ if it wasn't for both pieces of information, since I had never heard specifically of the Battle of Trenton. xD
Tuesday: Need to take a first look at Departments, since I said the non-existent 'Finance'.
Wednesday: Never heard of Groupon
Thursday: Said Hong Kong, knowing it was wrong
Friday: Went through the zodiac constellations in my head, and Sagittarius came first, so I stuck with it.

Bonuses were gettable, even if I had never heard of Rebecca.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ah, the perfecto. So close, yet so far. :cry: I only saw Thursday's and Friday's games this week, and funnily enough, those both ended up being well-placed guesses. (Not quite WAG level on either of them, but I definitely wasn't completely confident in them.) I was able to avoid the HK negbait on Thursday (and Jordan thankfully popped into my brain soon enough). Friday, if I had heard Alex's pre-reveal comments during the 30 seconds, I probably would have changed to Sagittarius. Fortunately, I didn't. :)

Monday's, which I played off the game thread, I had little chance on. I was vacillating between Mass. and Virginia...New Jersey wasn't even on my radar. :oops:
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?:

December 1776 -> Christmas -> surprise attack on Hessians -> Battle of Trenton -> New Jersey
NYSE -> Commerce
Groupon: instaget
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan: instaget (used to work at the Mayo Clinic back when King Hussein of Jordan visited regularly for his cancer treatments, so may be more Jordan-centric than average)
Killed by scorpion -> Orion: Favorite constellation and great song:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leo-Kretzner-LP ... _626wt_905

1620 document -> Mayflower Compact
Mrs. Danvers -> Rebecca: Read book and saw movie. Meh.
Greenback: Heard the term before, but didn't remember a Civil War or political-party context, so ...a good week, but nada perfecto :(
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I've had weeks where I've only gotten 1, and even one week where I was shut out, but based upon the get%, I'd have to say this is probably my worst week ever.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Said Virginia on Monday. Never connected the date to the Battle of Trenton.
Lucky guesses on Thursday and Friday.