LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 pm 8-8-8 for me this season with the last day deciding where I get a 9 in my record.
I ended the season with the wonderfully symmetrical record of 8-8-9.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 pm 8-8-8 for me this season with the last day deciding where I get a 9 in my record.
I ended the season with the wonderfully symmetrical record of 8-8-9.
8-9-8 for me as my opponent did not collect on the zero I gave purl, but did elsewhere for more points.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Finished 14th, 10-11-4, in Horizon B so I guess that's where I'll be next season. Maybe I'll take a remedial math course in the off season (Ms. Hutchinson, et.al. were right all those years ago, my math deficiency would eventually catch up to me -- though it took a long time).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In my 26th season I set a personal record for TCA, and was just .002 below my personal best for defensive efficiency . . . and I finished 6th out of 28 (12-8-5), 3 places below the promotion zone in my rundle (B Continental). I had more TCA and a better defensive efficiency than the winner of my rundle, but he had 76 CAA and I had 89. That's LL for you. :D In fairness, the first-place guy had more TMP than I did; due to my category breakdown, I'm easy to defend against.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to the boardie rundle winners (I should research everyone, but I can't today. Please add in yourself or others!):

Ontarioquizzer - A Delta
Teapot37 - A Piedmont
Woof - A Continental
You? Brag here!

In the boardie rundle Plasticene narrowly beat out teapot37 on match point differential. Thanks again to Jeff for organizing the private rundle. This rundle has evolved with time and changes each season... It was a tough A rundle on average this time. Plasticene beat two A-winners to get through!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LL78 - A Taiga - 22nd Place
LL77 - A Taiga - 22nd Place
LL76 - A Taiga - 22nd Place
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

After 12 non-rookie seasons, I finally finished in the promotion zone! That means, assuming none of us get moved, I will get to face boardies BoK, BigDaddyMatty, and Blue Lion (that's a lot of B's) next season.
What do you call where the trivia ocean meets the trivia sky? A Horizon.
Hoping for a third lap
clprez

Post by clprez »

With 6 losses in a row I ended in the relegation zone. It was demoralizing. Even when I knew a few answers, my defense did me in. I was tempted to not even play next season, but will give it a shot.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Another season in A, another relegation. I had fun, though, despite playing terrible defense. I am consistently worse at defense when I am in A (my stats back this up); has anybody else had this observation?
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I managed to stay strong and win the Correct Answers Against in A Magnolia at 114.

Regrettably, this, combined with my less-than-spectacular play led to a finish of 8-14-3 and 100 TCA and 24th place finish. This means that I am being relegated to the much more friendly-looking B Magnolia next time around. Perhaps I will rise like a phoenix for LL80.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I had a lock on first place in B Taiga after MD23 but didn't rest on my laurels and finished out with a win on MD25 and a record of 17-6-2. My TCA fell slightly from 112 to 107 but my DE was much improved from .622 to .723 over last season. My improved defense makes me somewhat optimistic I'll be able to hold my own mid-pack in A for LL79.
I would prefer not to.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Although I lost yesterday, I managed to meet my goal of not being relegated from D Magnolia 2, finishing 13th at 9-10-6 thanks to being 5th in TCA to offset having the 3rd highest CAA and a horrible defense of .643. I gave up two 8(4)'s and a 7(3) and generally had a terrible time figuring out defense.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

boson wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:26 pm Congrats to the boardie rundle winners (I should research everyone, but I can't today. Please add in yourself or others!):

Ontarioquizzer - A Delta
Teapot37 - A Piedmont
Woof - A Continental
You? Brag here!

In the boardie rundle Plasticene narrowly beat out teapot37 on match point differential. Thanks again to Jeff for organizing the private rundle. This rundle has evolved with time and changes each season... It was a tough A rundle on average this time. Plasticene beat two A-winners to get through!
What an exciting finish! With teapot37 and woof tying 9(6)-9(6), I would have come up short without perfect offense and defense on the last day. My overall defense was way better in the private rundle than in my main rundle, .820 vs .726, which is funny because I usually spent a lot more time on my main rundle defense and then often just lazily copied the same assignments to my jboard opponent.

Thanks so much to Jeff for organizing, and thanks to whoever joined at the last minute after I joined at the eleventh hour, so that I didn't get left out!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I know I'm a lot lower than the rest of you, but after spending a good part of the season in last, I managed to pull myself out of the relegation zone and avoided relegation to E (though that came down to the last day).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

cmp146 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:41 pm I managed to stay strong and win the Correct Answers Against in A Magnolia at 114.

Regrettably, this, combined with my less-than-spectacular play led to a finish of 8-14-3 and 100 TCA and 24th place finish. This means that I am being relegated to the much more friendly-looking B Magnolia next time around. Perhaps I will rise like a phoenix for LL80.
Please explain how you can win CAA. Does that just mean your matches were more competitive than other players

Somehow I avoided relegation from A Taiga with just 79 TCA. B is probably more my speed but I can’t exactly play to lose. I never even got promoted to A - came close but only got there when a new branch was formed. I’m a total fraud!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am
cmp146 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:41 pm I managed to stay strong and win the Correct Answers Against in A Magnolia at 114.

Please explain how you can win CAA. Does that just mean your matches were more competitive than other players

Somehow I avoided relegation from A Taiga with just 79 TCA. B is probably more my speed but I can’t exactly play to lose. I never even got promoted to A - came close but only got there when a new branch was formed. I’m a total fraud!
She was being saracastic. "Winning" CAA is not something you want to do. There's nothing you can do about it, it's just the luck of the draw, and "winning" it just means you had bad luck.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

cmp146 sported a pretty gaudy DE score, too. Such a bummer. I look forward to seeing you again in LL80.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

patkav wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:08 pm cmp146 sported a pretty gaudy DE score, too. Such a bummer. I look forward to seeing you again in LL80.
I do, too. I was surprised to finish where I did considering I had the fourth-lowest TCA; I think in tying for the lowest CAA, I really lucked out.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:41 pm
patkav wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:08 pm cmp146 sported a pretty gaudy DE score, too. Such a bummer. I look forward to seeing you again in LL80.
I do, too. I was surprised to finish where I did considering I had the fourth-lowest TCA; I think in tying for the lowest CAA, I really lucked out.
Thank you A Magnolia ladies and gentlemen for the kind words. It was a strange season for me, and the odds were not in my favor. I am glad that it went better for Peachbox and PatKav. I am looking forward to the off season, and I have signed up for all three minileagues. I am not sure if that is a good or bad idea yet.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.