Monday, October 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a recent poll of 125 authors, this long 1870s novel about a woman ranked as the greatest work of fiction of all time

Andrew Knudsen: 4600-0=4600
Carl Conway: 15400-2601=12799
Doug Dodson: 18000-2000=16000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Anna Karenina (Andrew – Jane Eyre) (Carl – Emma) (Doug – The Scarlet Letter)

Daily Doubles
Doug: 4400-0 (He wagered 2000 and was initially ruled incorrect. He got his wager back after the break on a decision reversal though not credit for a correct response.)
Doug: 10000+2000
Carl: 11600+3000

Coryats
Andrew: 4600
Carl: 13600
Doug: 17200

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 3400
Carl: 3600
Doug: 6400

Edited: Names matter.
Edited again: Number matter too.
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Drink up: Alex added “man/mon” after Jamaica was a correct response.

Okay then, “The Mooch” was good enough for a correct response.

The laugh of the show was the completion of ON THE FAST FOOD MENU with each guy scoring in the category and no misses or stumpers.

Alex: You guys know your fast foods.
Doug: [touching waistline] You can’t tell either.
Carl: [a larger man] Watch it!
The smiles and laughter during the exchange were fun.

The FJ! clue had me taking longer to check on my spelling than it did to write the correct title. I had no detours although I figured the players could be all over the place if the clue was not a good one for them.

The three misses were 1815, 1847 and 1850 to leave them decades short while I know I could have done the same thing on a different clue. The wagering indicated less than full confidence on the category and Doug made it advantage leader.

For the J! round to have found time to complete the Nancy Drew category felt like a gift as I thought for sure time would run out after that General Hospital category took so much time. The category went 4/5 with the guys making a respectable showing in it leaving it to me and other viewers to complete the run on the one stumper.

The writers are more than welcome to run the same type category on The Hardy Boys later in the season as having all of the books is not enough. I also have jigsaw puzzles of the book covers of both series.

PRESIDENTS’ MIDDLE NAMES had two stumpers and it’s one of those categories that any player should take the little bit of time it takes to get up to speed on before tape day.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm Doug: 4400-0 (He wagered 2000 and was initially ruled incorrect. He got his wager back after the break on a decision reversal though not credit for a correct response.)
That was definitely a needle-scratch moment for this home viewer.
It's been awhile since I've seen a blatantly miswritten question that was also a daily double. ouch!

"I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type."
(with "fraternal" ruled incorrect and "identical" given as the expected response)

Perhaps the clue was intended to read "not dizygotic but monozygotic"?
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small."

Did Andrew wager 2000, did he end up with 4600, or did he start with 2600? --Bob
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Bob78164 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:25 pm This game is a win for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small."

Did Andrew wager 2000, did he end up with 4600, or did he start with 2600? --Bob
4600-0=4600

Fixed, thank you.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ after about 5 seconds. I am not a fan of the clue, though I would not have guessed it to be a TS.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Certainly the greatest novel I've ever read (though I'm not much of a reader of fiction, really). As such, it came together pretty quickly for me, with a quick detour to consider Madame Bovary...

The lower boxes in DJ seemed pretty generous today. (Kind of Blue + trumpeter a $2000 clue?) I got 10/11 of the revealed clues there, while going 0/6 in the bottom row in the J! round, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The twins clue was FUBAR'd -- either in the way it was written, or the way it was read. Either way, it needs to be made clear that the "also known as this type" refers to "monozygotic" alone and not both of the possibilities.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

RobW wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm "I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type."
(with "fraternal" ruled incorrect and "identical" given as the expected response)

After seeing it, I'm betting the clue was written accurately and the pretty boy actor misread his line and it wasn't double-checked later.

Regardless, it's pretty crappy that a DD can just be zeroed out like that. It's a gift to find one and then the opportunity(or loss) is just snatched away. Properly done, TPTB should have used the J6 clue as an alternate and re-taped the DD with the same wager. Reminds me somewhat of how when they retroactively credit someone with a correct response, they always rectify negs that would never have happened yet never rectify rebounds that never should have happened.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Newsy Puns category.

Liam Neeson = Taken rings no bells for me.

Whiffed with Pizza Hut for Domino's. That seemed like serious negbait, given the prominent Z's.

Antigua/Aruba was also massive negbait in the Caribbean category IMO.

All but "tree trunks" in T.T. and all but the bottom in Nancy Drew.

What did that Mooch clue have to do with "Filters"?

I precalled the fraternal/identical overturn. I thought the clue was ambiguous on which of the two they wanted.

"Uh... I dunno, screw it. Anna Karenina." And so, for literally the first time ever, I took a guess and was right.

Lach Trash: "Cheney's got a gun", Taft
Leander

Post by Leander »

Can’t believe “Mooch” was accepted without clarification.

I would have taken “World Literature” as a clue that the answer is probably not a British or American novel.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew what they were asking for but forgot exactly what the title was, so I embarrassingly negged with "Anna Kanarina".

"Long" was a dead giveaway it was Russian.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Whiffed on FJ!. WADded Gone with the Wind, even though it couldn't have been that in a WORLD LITERATURE category.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Like the small bet from first (hey, if you hate the category, put the game on 2nd getting it right if possible).

No clue what Andrew was thinking, gave himself 0 chance to win. Had to bet 600 to get above the cover bet miss from 1st.

Outloud said Anna Karina --assume this would have NOT been close enough?
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Leander wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm I would have taken “World Literature” as a clue that the answer is probably not a British or American novel.
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm "Long" was a dead giveaway it was Russian.
Yup, exactly where my brain went, allowing me to get to Anna Karenina with a reasonable degree of confidence.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Leander wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm I would have taken “World Literature” as a clue that the answer is probably not a British or American novel.
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm "Long" was a dead giveaway it was Russian.
Good job reading between the lines!
danspartan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 pm Like the small bet from first (hey, if you hate the category, put the game on 2nd getting it right if possible).

No clue what Andrew was thinking, gave himself 0 chance to win. Had to bet 600 to get above the cover bet miss from 1st.

Outloud said Anna Karina --assume this would have NOT been close enough?
Not enough players make small bets like that, same with big bets.

Andrew was thinking what most contestants do when it comes to FJ wagering, absolutely nothing. Although there are plenty of times where the leader simply rounds to the nearest thousand or something silly where they would have given Andrew a chance.

Karina would not have been enough, one less syllable for one thing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm
RobW wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm "I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type."

After seeing it, I'm betting the clue was written accurately and the pretty boy actor misread his line and it wasn't double-checked later.
If that's the way it was written, I don't see how it could be accurate (unless you're saying that the words on the screen simply matched what the actor read and were not what was originally written).
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm

If that's the way it was written, I don't see how it could be accurate (unless you're saying that the words on the screen simply matched what the actor read and were not what was originally written).
That is exactly what I am saying. But of course we're all just speculating.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget final jeopardy for me....surprised all 3 went with british and american titles...generally when they have a category like "world" in the title, they aren't going for anything involving british and american because they have their own categories extremely often