Friday, October 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prepared by the Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander, the “COSSAC Plan” outlined the details of this

Sara Butner: 10200+9950=20150
Maureen Block: 10200-0=10200
Adam Francois Watkins: 25500+206=25706 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
D-Day (invasion) (Maureen – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Adam: 5400+3000
Adam: 9600+5000
Adam: 21800+100

Coryats
Sara: 10200
Maureen: 10200
Adam: 20800

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sara: 3400
Maureen: 4600
Adam: 8800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No applause for Adam running THE “BEST” WORDS since it happened all out of order and with a category jump in the mix as well.

Sara and Maureen were so even that their split of the available clues allowed Adam to have the lock. If one had the edge over the other then perhaps Adams could have been in position to regret his $100 wager on DD3. Turned out not to matter since Adam solved the FJ! clue.

Alex made me laugh at UNDER THE SEA $1000 when Adam identified the fish. Trebek’s “Yes!” seemed overly impressed by the get when any five-year-old could get it. Perhaps Alex is not up on his animated movies?

The FJ! clue was one where I sniffed out where to go without any great knowledge. “Supreme Allied Commander” seemed like WWI or WWII to me. Okay, 20th century. “Details of this” sounded like a plan. I matched Adam’s phrasing with the extra word to end the week on a good note. My other thought of the Marshall Plan would have been the opposite way to close the 4th week of the season.

Before Adam gets anointed as the latest possible winner to go on a long streak (it often happens anytime someone runs away and has over $25K for the FJ! round) I have him on pause because Adam was unable to rebound the quantum theory guy even after the Einstein miss. Adam’s 3/3 on DDs were meaningless for testing his talent since none of the three clues were close to difficult.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:02 pm The FJ! clue was one where I sniffed out where to go without any great knowledge. “Supreme Allied Commander” seemed like WWI or WWII to me. Okay, 20th century. “Details of this” sounded like a plan...
Exactly the same for me. Spent about 2 seconds thinking about what COSSAC might spell out, then decided to just guess the most likely plan of the level J! might ask in FJ.

Ha! Apparently COSSAC just stands for Chief of Staff-Supreme Allied Commander. Not much of an extra hint at all.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

On first blush, it seemed to me D-Day invasion was too obvious since "supreme allied commander" was an obvious ref. to Eisenhower. Went with "link-up of Allied and Soviet forces" since Cossacks are Russian soldiers.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Happy. This week, after aiming for it all year, I finally achieved a $30,000 average Coryat for a week. (Actually, around $32,000.) When I started training seriously around Christmas, I was probably around $18,000. The timing is good, given that I auditioned a couple of months back and am in the pool. More to learn, obviously, but... I feel pretty good.

Of course, tallying my score and feeling proud of myself at the end of DJ, I promptly whiffed on a gettable FJ. (“Hiroshima.”) Tsk...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kenny wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm On first blush, it seemed to me D-Day invasion was too obvious since "supreme allied commander" was an obvious ref. to Eisenhower. Went with "link-up of Allied and Soviet forces" since Cossacks are Russian soldiers.
Kind the way I went, guessing the invasion of Berlin. Never heard of the D-Day plans by this name.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Supreme Allied Commander -> WWII (and probably WWI, but WWII is the first thing that comes to mind). First instinct: D-Day. Second instinct: 'COSSAC' sounds like Cossack -> USSR. WWII + USSR + plan = ...??!?! Ehhhh, stick with D-Day. Every other idea that came to mind sounded too vague. I'll take it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 pm Supreme Allied Commander -> WWII (and probably WWI, but WWII is the first thing that comes to mind). First instinct: D-Day. Second instinct: 'COSSAC' sounds like Cossack -> USSR. WWII + USSR + plan = ...??!?! Ehhhh, stick with D-Day. Every other idea that came to mind sounded too vague. I'll take it.
Pretty much my thought process too. I came up with a couple of Soviet ideas that all seemed too obscure/unrealistic and ended up at D-Day.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Hi" "Ho" and Disney Songs.

3/5 in Tale as Old as Time. Would've been 4, but I blanked on Dante. Only one I had no hope on was translating "War and Peace" into Russian.

I thought "quadruple bogey" was extremely obscure for the top box. Poll request?

Can't say I've heard of Jack Ruby before.

Bit on the WWI negbait on Potpourri for $800. That froze my brain and left me unable to shift backward.

FJ! was so convoluted and verbose that I didn't even know where to begin. Not even a WAG.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

COSSAC totally threw me off. I immediately thought of Russians and went with the defense of Stalingrad.
Did get mir, among other trash.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Tale as Old as Time (4), Under the Sea (2), Let It Go (3), Friend Like Me (3), "Hi" "Ho" (3), Disney Songs (5)
Contemporaries (5), Animal Words & Phrases (3), The Trial's Venue (5), Potpourri (1), The Television Academy Hall of Fame (4), The "Best" Words (2)

Lach Trash: quadruple bogey, Buffalo, Max Planck, Simón Bolívar

I focused too much on "COSSAC Plan" and went all the way back to the Crimean War...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,000
50 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: quadruple bogey, Mir, Buffalo, Spanish-American War, Simon Bolivar, wrestling

Like many others, I was pushed toward Russia by "COSSAC," but the Supreme Allied Commander bit was enough to keep me on D-Day. I actually put "the Normandy invastion," which I imagine would have been acceptable.

I thought it was quite fun of whoever wrote this Disney-themed board to include clues about a clownfish and Maui.

Pavlov I need to remember: quantum theory = Max Planck
Saturnalia wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm Happy. This week, after aiming for it all year, I finally achieved a $30,000 average Coryat for a week. (Actually, around $32,000.) When I started training seriously around Christmas, I was probably around $18,000. The timing is good, given that I auditioned a couple of months back and am in the pool. More to learn, obviously, but... I feel pretty good.
Congrats, and keep it up!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm Can't say I've heard of Jack Ruby before.
I seriously doubt this is the case.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm Can't say I've heard of Jack Ruby before.
I seriously doubt this is the case.
If I was a nasty kind of man, I might be moved to photoshop TPH's head into the famous photo of Jack Ruby meeting his quarry. But I'm not so nasty, I'm not very good at Photoshop, and don't have any photos of tph.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Kenny wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm On first blush, it seemed to me D-Day invasion was too obvious since "supreme allied commander" was an obvious ref. to Eisenhower. Went with "link-up of Allied and Soviet forces" since Cossacks are Russian soldiers.
Yes, Cossacks are Russian soldiers. Unfortunately COSSAC doesn't refer to that. Also unfortunately, I got sidetracked by the similarity between the two and tried to figure out whether this referred to the Russian invasion of Germany or (as Patton suggested) an allied invasion of Russia ("hell, we've already got the army here!")

So now I know. boo, hiss.

When they asked for what do you call a score of 7 on a par-3 golf hole, I wonder what their ruling would have been if I said "What is par for the course for me?"

Really off my usual level of concentration in this game. I also negged Einstein when I knew full well it should have been Planck for quantum theory.

Next week will be better.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Quadruple Bogey, Mir, Buffalo, Max Planck, Spanish-American War, Simon Bolivar, Wrestling

100% on Lach Trash for the third time this season.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Really off my usual level of concentration in this game. I also negged Einstein when I knew full well it should have been Planck for quantum theory.
I forget how the clue was worded, but it was not pinned to Planck without the "1900" year reference. That was the thing that made me think: "not Einstein", and "do they expect the average schmoe to know who Max Planck is, and what year he solved the ultraviolet catastrophe?"

Apparently Planck is Pavlov for Quantum Mechanics in trivia circles, but he only opened the door. Which is a big deal, but sort of like Alan Shepard's space flight - ask the average joe about him and you can expect to get : "Alan who?".

I got the FJ from the Supreme Allied Commander and figuring the writers surely don't expect us to know any other historical military operations from the bureaucratic details only. I did not recognize the "Cossac" as an acronym and figured it was an early moniker for "Operation Overlord", after failing to think of anything Russian related.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, a Friday thread that still hasn't gotten to two pages yet? Y'all sleeping or something?

If I have heard of Jack Ruby, then it's proof of my Hawley-Smoot rule: the name is just too generic for it to have stuck in my brain.
Ridiculogic

Post by Ridiculogic »

Didn’t even realize I ran “BEST” until somebody told me after my watch party!

It did strike me as kind of an easy pair of boards, though not especially great for my strengths (other than trial venues — which was more history than law). That clown fish clue as a $1000? I almost didn’t ring in because I was worried the writers were going for a subspecies! But it’s the J! Round so I went with the obvious.

And that Cincinnati DD was a little bit harder than the others at least, don’t you think? at least for folks under maybe 35 and especially non-sports fans.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:02 pm No applause for Adam running THE “BEST” WORDS since it happened all out of order and with a category jump in the mix as well.

Sara and Maureen were so even that their split of the available clues allowed Adam to have the lock. If one had the edge over the other then perhaps Adams could have been in position to regret his $100 wager on DD3. Turned out not to matter since Adam solved the FJ! clue.

Alex made me laugh at UNDER THE SEA $1000 when Adam identified the fish. Trebek’s “Yes!” seemed overly impressed by the get when any five-year-old could get it. Perhaps Alex is not up on his animated movies?

The FJ! clue was one where I sniffed out where to go without any great knowledge. “Supreme Allied Commander” seemed like WWI or WWII to me. Okay, 20th century. “Details of this” sounded like a plan. I matched Adam’s phrasing with the extra word to end the week on a good note. My other thought of the Marshall Plan would have been the opposite way to close the 4th week of the season.

Before Adam gets anointed as the latest possible winner to go on a long streak (it often happens anytime someone runs away and has over $25K for the FJ! round) I have him on pause because Adam was unable to rebound the quantum theory guy even after the Einstein miss. Adam’s 3/3 on DDs were meaningless for testing his talent since none of the three clues were close to difficult.