FJs for the 10/1/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/1/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

In a recent poll of 125 authors, this long 1870s novel about a woman ranked as the greatest work of fiction of all time
66%
This actor has never been nominated for acting--he won, though, as a writer for 1997 & as a producer for 2012
38%
The Cathedral of St. Pierre was the center of the Calvinist Reformation in this lakeside city
74%
Italy's Agromafia enriches itself through counterfeit versions of this "liquid gold" mentioned by Homer & Plato
53%
Prepared by the Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander, the "COSSAC Plan" outlined the details of this
63%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
 STARS & CONSTELLATIONS $2000: This cluster of stars also known as the Seven Sisters lies within the constellation Taurus
79%
BOOKS OF THE 1940s $2000: This Camus novel was originally published in 1947 as "La Peste"
46%
THE COLD WAR $2000: In 1956 Soviet tanks rolled into this European capital city, suppressing a short democratic revolt
52%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue in WORLD LITERATURE by guessing someone British or American.
13%
ON THE FAST FOOD MENU $600: You can order a MeatZZa from them - I negged with a guess of a pizza place other than the correct Domino's.
45%
OSCAR HYPHENATES as a category confused me as I thought I needed someone with two last names.
63%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I picked the wrong Switzerland city.
6%
Honey was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
11%
COSSAC in the Friday FJ!'s wording caused me to get off track going with something associated with Russia/Soviet Union.
28%

Total votes: 112

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/1/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

10/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a recent poll of 125 authors, this long 1870s novel about a woman ranked as the greatest work of fiction of all time

10/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR HYPHENATES

10/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This actor has never been nominated for acting--he won, though, as a writer for 1997 & as a producer for 2012

10/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITIES IN HISTORY

10/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Cathedral of St. Pierre was the center of the Calvinist Reformation in this lakeside city

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL CRIME

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Italy's Agromafia enriches itself through counterfeit versions of this "liquid gold" mentioned by Homer & Plato

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY HISTORY

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prepared by the Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander, the "COSSAC Plan" outlined the details of this

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Anna Karenina
Ben Affleck
Geneva
olive oil
D-Day

The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 0-0-1-3-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three $2000 clues correct by the players.

STARS & CONSTELLATIONS $2000: This cluster of stars also known as the Seven Sisters lies within the constellation Taurus

BOOKS OF THE 1940s $2000: This Camus novel was originally published in 1947 as "La Peste"

THE COLD WAR $2000: In 1956 Soviet tanks rolled into this European capital city, suppressing a short democratic revolt

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Pleiades
The Plague
Budapest
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/1/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No guess on the pizza clue as I did not even get as far as pizza with the "ZZ" not helping.
No problem with the Tuesday FJ! category or clue as I understood what it meant from the get-go.
Chianti on Thursday.

LET IT GO $200: Golf, so relaxing... until I got 7 on a par-3, or this score

Hammer:  I took a pass on polling this request as I find the material barely worth revisiting.  I do not fault the contestants for the felony of not getting a top box clue.  The category did nothing to help and the writers could have used something better to introduce the category.

The clue itself is not really top box material; I will give you that.  When I read the clue I could not figure out what to do as to me a 7 on a par-3 is...a 7.  Processing that the writers were looking for a quadruple bogey was not a math fail and certainly not because the term is anywhere close to your "extremely obscure."  It's more a fail by the staff to understand what they were going for was unlikely to have quick success.

Your pizza request, while not the best kind of clue for the three main extras since it's such fluff, works for an extra line in the poll since it could be interesting to see how many went the wrong way.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue - Day-Lewis? No, he's won thrice...

Went with Little Caesar's for the pizza place.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

COSSAC definitely caused me to think about that part of the world and indirectly influenced my response. I realized at about the 15s mark that I needed an Allied plan and that there wasn't a likely one that had to do with Russia, but my mind stayed in Asia and I said "Hiroshima." The correct answer never came to mind at all.

I clammed on the Domino's. As far as I knew, it could have been any of the big national chains; if I'd guessed any of them, it would have been Pizza Hut. FWIW, I'd rather eat a meat pizza at Domino's than any of their nearest competitors, though.

The Seven Sisters -> Pleiades (and vice versa) Pavlov seems to be one the writers habitually overvalue.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday- Muffed the pronunciation/spelling of the correct answer
Tuesday - Day-Lewis
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :x :x
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
WAGed Ron Howard, went with honey & defense of Stalingrad.
Pizza Hut for Dominos.
"1956-Budapest is Rising..."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :(

I think I pulled out The Plague a fraction of a second before the contestant got it, but I'm not sure and it was pretty late if I did, so I'm giving myself a no on that.

I remembered a pizza commercial advertising the "Meatzza Trio," which I can even remember was prosciutto, sausage, and pepperoni, but couldn't remember whose commercial it was; the in-your-face-ness of my memory of the commercial swung me more to Pizza Hut.

Tuesday's FJ category made me think, "Like, actor-directors, or people with hyphenated names?" I was pretty sure it was the former.

On Thursday, "Agromafia" made me think in the direction of consumable products, and "liquid gold" made me think of honey, but I couldn't conceive of counterfeit honey, so I kept thinking, and came upon olive oil. I probably wouldn't have conceived of a counterfeit version of that either, but it fit with Italy, ancient Greece, and liquid gold, and I stopped there.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:49 pmLET IT GO $200: Golf, so relaxing... until I got 7 on a par-3, or this score

The clue itself is not really top box material; I will give you that.  When I read the clue I could not figure out what to do as to me a 7 on a par-3 is...a 7.  Processing that the writers were looking for a quadruple bogey was not a math fail and certainly not because the term is anywhere close to your "extremely obscure."  It's more a fail by the staff to understand what they were going for was unlikely to have quick success.
I misunderstood what "7 on a par-3, or this score" meant, and said 10, which I think I could make a case for. If 10 is your score on a par-3, that could go on your scorecard as +7.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On Thursday, "Agromafia" made me think in the direction of consumable products, and "liquid gold" made me think of honey, but I couldn't conceive of counterfeit honey, so I kept thinking, and came upon olive oil. I probably wouldn't have conceived of a counterfeit version of that either, but it fit with Italy, ancient Greece, and liquid gold, and I stopped there.

Actually, counterfeit honey is a huge problem, with some sources claiming 76 percent of honey or honey products on our shelves either fake or ameliorated to the point where in most countries it is illegal to claim it as honey.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Long novel named for a woman easily led me to Anna Karenina, but I had no hope on the rest.

Was wrong with Pizza Hut on the MeatZZa. Given that's currently at 60%, I think it's safe to call that a massively negbaity clue. It doesn't help that I'm well over an hour from the nearest Domino's, despite living in the FREAKING STATE THEY'RE BASED OUT OF.

Thought "hyphenates" meant a hyphenated surname.

Pleaides I learned from a Jimmy Buffett song.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Got the pizza clue wrong.
Slightly misdirected by COSSAC, but ended up at D-Day
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:( :( :( :( :(
My first box of shame EVER in a regular week. I'm 7-for-20 this season. Last season I went 119-for-200. (sigh)
Hoping for a third lap
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm Was wrong with Pizza Hut on the MeatZZa. Given that's currently at 60%, I think it's safe to call that a massively negbaity clue.
I'm not seeing it as anything worse than a coinflip between Pizza Hut and Domino's.

bomtr wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually, counterfeit honey is a huge problem, with some sources claiming 76 percent of honey or honey products on our shelves either fake or ameliorated to the point where in most countries it is illegal to claim it as honey.
I know "ameliorate" and "mellifluous" come from different Latin roots; but I'm still amused at your use of "ameliorated" here.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I voted "confused" on the hyphenate question, though I was confused only briefly (well, fairly briefly). Though Daniel Day-Lewis is an enormously incorrect response, it's a tough one to get out of one's head once in. In any case, I did, remembering "Good Will Hunting" but I had no idea about the other thing, and picked Damon over Affleck (sorry, Ben). I do think it's problematic, trivially, to claim an Oscar nom for an individual in the case of Best Picture, especially when there are several producers credited. Anyway.

The War with Russia on Friday. Wasn't sure it was Patton's hoped-for keep-on-going war, or a Cold War contingency thing.

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Perseids for Pleiades. I knew the Perseids were a meteor shower, but I hoped one could somehow be both.

No lead on the pizza question, and would never have rung in.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

No guess on MeatZZa.
Didn't even notice the category Tuesday.
I briefly considered connecting COSSAC and Russia, but couldn't make anything of it so swung back around to the correct answer.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen:
Never gonna get it.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

Clammed on Pleiades, for some reason.

I don't really think of Domino's as a "fast food" place. Around here, at least, it's delivery only. I think of a place like McDonald's, Taco Bell, or a combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell when I think of fast food. A place with a counter and tables. So even though I knew as soon as I said Pizza Hut that it was actually Domino's, I also know why I said Pizza Hut.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Knew exactly what Hyphenate meant (and I don't really read Variety regularly) - didn't help me to get it...
I'm not sorry for my "honey" guess (surely the source of it matters as much as the source of olive oil, and I believe the olive oil I use is green, though it's hard to tell in those dark bottles...). But I realized after that I had seen that olive oil story... :oops:
Adding: There are 1.8M hits in Google for "liquid gold" honey
477,000 for "liquid gold" "olive oil"
Pleiades is one of the few constellations I know cold...
Alex corrected the contestants' golf terms with the right one (second nature to him, no doubt). Then he explained, "4 over par," which I took to be the alternate response. Actually, the expected one. The clue was testing whether we knew how "par" is used, not more obscure golf terms. That's what made it top box...
Last edited by davey on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 pm
bomtr wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:37 pm Actually, counterfeit honey is a huge problem, with some sources claiming 76 percent of honey or honey products on our shelves either fake or ameliorated to the point where in most countries it is illegal to claim it as honey.
I know "ameliorate" and "mellifluous" come from different Latin roots; but I'm still amused at your use of "ameliorated" here.
Ha! I didn't even think of that. I did wonder whether friend bomtr meant to say "adulterated". Unless (s)he dislikes honey in its natural state, "ameliorated" (i.e. made better or at least less bad) is not the right word.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 pm
bomtr wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:37 pm Actually, counterfeit honey is a huge problem, with some sources claiming 76 percent of honey or honey products on our shelves either fake or ameliorated to the point where in most countries it is illegal to claim it as honey.
Ha! I didn't even think of that. I did wonder whether friend bomtr meant to say "adulterated". Unless (s)he dislikes honey in its natural state, "ameliorated" (i.e. made better or at least less bad) is not the right word.
most definitely not the right word, which I know. Why would I do that? I grow old... Incidentally, that clue was my first FJ miss this season, though there have been more than one I wasn't exactly confident of the correct response.