Friday, October 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, October 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Ridiculogic wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 pm Didn’t even realize I ran “BEST” until somebody told me after my watch party!

It did strike me as kind of an easy pair of boards, though not especially great for my strengths (other than trial venues — which was more history than law). That clown fish clue as a $1000? I almost didn’t ring in because I was worried the writers were going for a subspecies! But it’s the J! Round so I went with the obvious.

And that Cincinnati DD was a little bit harder than the others at least, don’t you think? at least for folks under maybe 35 and especially non-sports fans.
Welcome, Adam, and congratulations! Our alma mater has been producing some good wins lately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ridiculogic wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 pmAnd that Cincinnati DD was a little bit harder than the others at least, don’t you think? at least for folks under maybe 35 and especially non-sports fans.
Thanks for checking in, Adam! And congratulations on that commanding win. Looking forward to Monday. [Studies Adam closely to see whether he winces or looks cocky at that comment. Nothin'? Ok.]

Yeah, I'm not a sports fan, but I'm 53 so I knew Pete Rose played for Cincinnati. That info was easily absorbed without trying just by being alive and awake in the 70s. Fewer people might remember that the obscenity trial over Mapplethorpe's work took place in that city. I can't say whether I'd have gotten the clue if they hadn't included Pete Rose. I think I would have. But with Rose included, it was a slam dunk. (Yeah yeah. I said I'm not a sports fan.)

So congrats on pulling Pete Rose out of the history section of your brain since you never knew him as current events. Well, except for the wagering scandal maybe.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

When the FJ clue was revealed, I was still in J/DJ mode, did a split-second scan for key words, spotted COSSAC, recognized it as some sort of military acronym, locked onto SAC...and immediately thought "Strategic Air Command". :roll: At least I recovered in time to come up with "Normandy Invasion" as my variant on "D-Day"...
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

33,800 coryat.

With the mention of "Supreme Allied Commander", I immediately went to D-Day. The whole way through think music I thought there had to be more to this clue but I couldn't come up with any other plausible answer. That was a supremely boring question. :|
I would prefer not to.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew Pete Rose played for the Reds but wasn't confident that the trial took place there. I knew that he played for several other teams late in his career, and I wasn't sure what locale actually had jurisdiction over the events in question.

I'd like to think that if I were playing I would have taken a stab at it knowing that TPTB were likely trying to point in that direction, but I have no idea what I actually would do under the lights.

Incidentally, one of my co-workers was just telling me a couple days ago about a negative interaction he had with Pete Rose in Vegas last week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:10 pm Incidentally, one of my co-workers was just telling me a couple days ago about a negative interaction he had with Pete Rose in Vegas last week.
Can you share? Sorry, Cincy fans, I've always hated him.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:10 pm Incidentally, one of my co-workers was just telling me a couple days ago about a negative interaction he had with Pete Rose in Vegas last week.
Nothing exciting. He was in a memorabilia shop and wouldn't so much as speak to anybody without the purchase of an autograph.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:33 pm
Nothing exciting. He was in a memorabilia shop and wouldn't so much as speak to anybody without the purchase of an autograph.
Sounds about right. I'd probably buckle under anyway...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:30 pm
I was in Philly with good seats on the first base line when he played for them. He was signing autographs for kids during batting practice and a mall cop or usher came along to shoosh them away. Pete told him to buzz off, let the kids alone. No cameras were on him and it was obvious just something he did for goodwill.
I found the whole mock outrage ridiculous and hypocritical by TPTB in MLB. It continues today with the Hall of Fame blackballing of PED users when it wasn't illegal to use them. The HOF is a sham. Pete Rose and Barry Bonds belong in it, period.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:30 pm
I was in Philly with good seats on the first base line when he played for them. He was signing autographs for kids during batting practice and a mall cop or usher came along to shoosh them away. Pete told him to buzz off, let the kids alone. No cameras were on him and it was obvious just something he did for goodwill.
I found the whole mock outrage ridiculous and hypocritical by TPTB in MLB. It continues today with the Hall of Fame blackballing of PED users when it wasn't illegal to use them. The HOF is a sham. Pete Rose and Barry Bonds belong in it, period.
I was a kid living in a Cincinnati suburb in 1967 and my friend who lived across the street had a father who worked with the Reds catcher (In those days the players had off season jobs). They always had free tickets and they took me to a game at Crosley Field. After the game we went to where the players came out of the locker room and I went around asking the players for autographs. Tony Perez didn't want to sign but his wife coaxed him into. So then Pete Rose comes up to me and says "Hey kid, you want my autograph?" He couldn't have been a nicer guy.
josephulton

Post by josephulton »

Any other Seinfeld fans offended that they accepted "Dreyfus" as Julia Louis-Dreyfus's last name? No, just me?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

josephulton wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:54 pm Any other Seinfeld fans offended that they accepted "Dreyfus" as Julia Louis-Dreyfus's last name?
Not only that, I definitely heard a second "s" on the end of that response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

josephulton wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:54 pm Any other Seinfeld fans offended that they accepted "Dreyfus" as Julia Louis-Dreyfus's last name? No, just me?
Offended, of course not. Surprised? Yeah.