Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGICAL HEROES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The second half of his service to Eurystheus took him to 6 different places, like Crete, Thrace & the underworld

Alex Schmidt: 25200+0=25200 (3x = $64,879)
Mary Adolph: 5400-5350=50
Chris Wong: 7800+3160=10960

Correct response:
Spoiler
Heracles/Hercules (Mary – Perseus) [The gentlemen had Hercules.]

Daily Doubles
Alex: 800+1000
Mary: 6600-2000
Alex: 18600+1000

Coryats
Alex: 25800
Mary: 7400
Chris: 7800

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alex: 8200
Mary: 1800
Chris: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mary’s nails:
Spoiler
The game had tightened up a bit early in the DJ! round with Alex only ahead 7800 to Mary’s 7400 and then whoosh he hit the boosters to take off.

The FJ! clue was one where I probably would have guessed right with any one third of the information coupled with the category, MYTHOLOGICAL HEROES:
Service to Eurystheus
Second half to 6 different places
Crete, Thrace & the underworld

It would stink for Alex if his conservative play on the FJ! round cost him a TOC spot. To me the prior winnings, the scoreboard and the category offered a spot to live a little with a $5,200 wager. Of course leaping forward to giving him a victory tomorrow and a loss on Friday is getting ahead of things.

Alex’s run shows what a little break can do as just as easily Adam could have won on Monday from the leading position and reasonably solvable FJ! clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went from Underworld to Orpheus pretty quickly, but my brain caught "second half" and "6" before 30 seconds were up. Nice question.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I connected "service" to the Labors, and had "underworld" also help me get Hercules as the right response.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Thought for sure my response in the Get "Out" category of "blackout" for a sudden loss of electrical power would've been accepted by the judges. Then I rewound the DVR and heard Alex say "Out" will appear at the beginning of each correct response, so "outage" was the only correct response. It pays to listen closely to AT's explanations.

FJ shows again Mythology is one of my weakest categories (along with Shakespeare and millennial pop culture).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Heracles. Judges?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Pre-called Hercules, the reveal gave me no reason to deviate, boom - done.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm I said Heracles. Judges?
I also said Heracles, Unless Eurystheus somehow points to Roman rather than Greek, I think it has to be acceptable. Nothing else about the clue could rule it out.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pretty easy final jeopardy...and i don't know crap about mythology
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm I said Heracles. Judges?
I also said Heracles, Unless Eurystheus somehow points to Roman rather than Greek, I think it has to be acceptable. Nothing else about the clue could rule it out.
theFJguy included Heracles as a correct response in post 3 above. Count it with zero doubt.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

These were tough boards for me. I went 0/30 in DJ!

"Smartwatch" kept me from the run in Compound. I couldn't figure out how to BMS off "wristwatch".

Recognized every movie title, but none of the plot elements, so I was 0/5.

"Sea Knight helicopter" was NHOI for me.

I couldn't make out "Out" for $2,000. What was it?

There is no such highway as "U.S. Interstate 10". US-10 runs from Fargo, ND to Bay City, MI, and just plain Interstate 10 is the highway running from California to Florida that they wanted. Should that be noted as errata?

FJ! was total gibberish to me. I couldn't even begin to think of what they might be asking for.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy peasy final. Too much Clash of the Titans for Mary? :P
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Hello! (3), I Composed It (5), "M" & Emmys (4), Compound Words (3), History (3), Big Pharma (1)
To Start With, Get "Out" (3), Aviation (2), Jack & the Fiend Stalk (4), The End of the Road (4), Movie by MacGuffin (5), Big Farmer (4)

Lach Trash: The Call of the Wild; Daily Double: Airbus

I said Odysseus instead because I saw "underworld" and remembered that he traveled there; I said it despite not being familiar with Eurystheus.

Cool nails, Mary!
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 26,800
42 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: AT&T, Main, Airbus (DD), horse

Great performance by Alex. He showed a strong knowledge base and really put the hammer down in DJ!

I probably would have guessed Hercules anyway unless something in the clue pushed me toward Achilles or Perseus, but half of the hero's service taking him to six places was a pretty clear TOM for the 12 labors of Hercules.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 pm "Smartwatch" kept me from the run in Compound. I couldn't figure out how to BMS off "wristwatch".
I think you should count "wristwatch" as correct. I did. I know Alex BMSed it, but I think it would have been reversed at the break had Chris not come up with the expected response. The device described is indisputably a wristwatch, and "wristwatch" is a compound word.

Just once, when the clue says "in this state" and the correct response is California, I'd love for a contestant to respond with "What is 'true'?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 pm "Smartwatch" kept me from the run in Compound. I couldn't figure out how to BMS off "wristwatch".
I think you should count "wristwatch" as correct. I did. I know Alex BMSed it, but I think it would have been reversed at the break had Chris not come up with the expected response. The device described is indisputably a wristwatch, and "wristwatch" is a compound word.

Just once, when the clue says "in this state" and the correct response is California, I'd love for a contestant to respond with "What is 'true'?"
I also responded with wristwatch, and was confused about the BMS when, as you point out, wristwatch is a compound word that fit all the elements in the clue. I think AT was being overly cautious when he didn't see wristwatch as an optional response on his screen.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Did anyone else respond to the Jabberwocky clue with "outgribe" for pedantry's sake, since "outgrabe" is the past tense?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TPH: The "word" in the Out! category for $2000 was "Outgrabe". From that incredibly stupid nonsense poem by Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky". I never heard that outgrabe thingy before, either. I doubt you're missing anything (except a few correct J! responses) by not knowing this work of "literature".

For the wristwatch/smartwatch controversy, I'd say that "wristwatch" would need a BMS since the clue said the watch name had the word "connected" in it. I doubt many (if any) ordinary wristwatches are connected to the 'net in the way a smartwatch is.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 am For the wristwatch/smartwatch controversy, I'd say that "wristwatch" would need a BMS since the clue said the watch name had the word "connected" in it. I doubt many (if any) ordinary wristwatches are connected to the 'net in the way a smartwatch is.
The question is not whether "smartwatch" is a more precise response, but whether "wristwatch" fits all of the information presented in the clue and the strictures of the category. The clue was "Compound word you're wearing if you've put on a Tag Heuer Connected Modular." A Tag Heuer Connected Modular is a wristwatch, and "wristwatch" is a compound word.
Sprinkles are for winners.