Thursday, October 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Thursday, October 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm Lach Trash: Seoul, Rite Aid, German, Alexis de Tocqueville
Alexis de Tocqueville was correctly answered by Alex.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm I thought I knew my 90's cartoons forward and backward, but Æon Flux was a total NHOI for me.

Ran the Stock Symbols category, got all but canals in Hobbies (couldn't get off "rivers" in time), "frost cost" in Rhyme Time (got stuck on "icicle" and blanked on the word "cost"), all but tattooing in Edison (said piercing instead).

Zaphod Beeblebrox has two heads? I could've taken 400 guesses and not gotten that.

Lord Jim = Conrad seemed obscure for the top box.

Even the "River Doon" hint meant literally nothing to me. I've heard the name Brigadoon before, but like so many other names, I didn't stop to find what it actually was.

Lach Trash: Chevron, Rite Aid, maelstrom, German

learned of lord jim from an episode of ncis: los angeles
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'd always assumed "Brigadoon" was a play on "rigadoon", not that I ever thought about it much, or knew what a "rigadoon" was (it's a baroque dance of Provençal French origin, popular in Louis XIV's day).
I'm smart and I want respect.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm I thought I knew my 90's cartoons forward and backward, but Æon Flux was a total NHOI for me.
Even with the movie, it's a REALLY niche character. The show was first on an MTV showcase of animation called "Liquid Television" in the early 90s, then had some standalone episodes (also on MTV). But it was never hugely popular.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,800
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Seoul, macrame (DD), Chevron, Rite Aid, maelstrom, German, Voltaire

Brigadoon was one of my proudest gets in some time. The L&L bit didn't help me (I'll try to memorize the Brigadoon-My Fair Lady-Camelot triumvirate for future reference), but I thought about what sort of title might have come from the name of a bridge. Brigadoon seems to be a made-up name, and I figured that since many Scots Gaelic words have English cognates (e.g., lake-loch), it seemed reasonable that the Scottish version of "bridge" might be "brig." I love it when a plan comes together.

I had never heard of an exophone before today's episode, but once I sussed the meaning out from the first clue, I was able to correctly pre-call Beckett as the DD.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm Did the writers purposely intend the misdirection with the clue prior to DD1 being something on water and making me once again thinking water when I saw “craft” & “knots” in the wording? I was at sea to switch gears to the intended type of craft.
Same here. I guessed "yacht" just to have something and was embarrassed when Mrs P correctly guessed macrame.
YET AGAIN I got a clue on the show primarily because I learned it from a J! contestant quiz or a previous show. "Macramé" was on a test a few years ago. Missed it then, nailed it this time. So at least I'm learning. And I'm getting the message that when they use material it is more likely to come up again.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

No way I was missing Final today. I played Charlie Dalrymple in a production of Brigadoon a couple years back.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

LT tonight: Voltaire and maelstrom. Slim pickings in this game.

Alex looks more impressive with each successive win. I was profoundly impressed with his sole get on FJ. And of course he parlayed that into a win with a perfect wager. Kudos also to Patrick on a strong game and a perfect final wager.

When I read the FJ clue (but before they showed the photograph) it was IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS that the structure they would be showing was a carousel. So I was loaded for bear and then completely blindsided when the picture was, um, not a carousel. Even with a clear mind, unsullied by a preconceived and mistaken notion, I'm pretty sure I would never have made the connection to "Bridge-a-Doon." All I could think of was "what the heck does that remind me of that also reminds me of a B-way musical? crickets.

I'm imagining now that we'll be seeing Alex in the ToC no matter what happens in his next game(s). And well deserved it is.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Lerner and Loewe was the key for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 am
I had never heard of an exophone before today's episode, but once I sussed the meaning out from the first clue, I was able to correctly pre-call Beckett as the DD.
My susser never took hold and I wondered why AT didn't define the term before the game. I got my answer when the top box was revealed as the last clue which defined it for us. THIS is why I root against Forrest bouncers.
I only knew one of them anyway, but now I didn't learn anything because the information came all out of context.
I want to see Alex close the deal to the TOC. He pulled out a tough one if he did it from the TOM, and he could have gone out the way he came in with a win from second.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 pm I said My Fair Lady.
At least it's still Lerner and Loewe. "1947" and "Lerner and Loewe" made this an instaget, even without the picture.

It also helped that I've played in the pit orchestra for "Brigadoon." :mrgreen:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 pm
mxc_takeshi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm Lach Trash: Seoul, Rite Aid, German, Alexis de Tocqueville
Not the first time I've done this- I write down my Lach Trash and correct Daily Doubles missed by contestants; sometimes when I'm unsure of the spelling and/or the pronunciation I write that one down, too. I should probably cross those out afterwards to avoid confusion. :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 pm
Not the first time I've done this- I write down my Lach Trash and correct Daily Doubles missed by contestants; sometimes when I'm unsure of the spelling and/or the pronunciation I write that one down, too. I should probably cross those out afterwards to avoid confusion. :oops:
Both Alexes voiced the middle e in Tocqueville, not a common pronunciation...
Good to see so many got the FJ. I never knew there was any connection to "bridge" in the name, but I knew the approximate date of the musical and the setting seemed pastoral so the right response came to mind quickly.
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm J! writers blew it on the Edison rival clue. When I saw it, my first response was to say Tesla, but knew when he developed alternating current for Westinghouse (the source of his feud with Edison, who preferred DC), he was an American citizen. So I responded with Marconi, who was an Italian engineer & inventor.

A little research (i.e. Wikipedia) proved me right. Nikola Telsa was granted U.S. citizenship in 1884, and patented the AC induction motor in 1888. One could say he was a Serbian-American inventor and engineer, but he was most definitely not a "European inventor."
The Wikipedia article on Tesla says he got citizenship in 1891 (links to his naturalization card). You have a point, but still I would guess more viewers were drawn toward Tesla by J! calling him a "European electrical genius" - not inventor - (knowing of the well-known "rivalry") than were pulled away.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget once I saw the pic.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

27,200 coryat.

Not quite an instaget on final but I was pretty sure Brigadoon was from around then and thought "briga" sounds like bridge.
I would prefer not to.