The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:37 pm Here you go with the image:
Spoiler
The clue put a Police song in my head.
I'll go along with TPH on this one - the bottle neck is hidden in shadow - what catches the eye is the gold. It could be a gold bar. The paper disappears into the sand (or cloth?) around it. It's not in the bottle...And who puts a form message in a bottle, anyway??
I grokked it was a bottle. And a message. And still managed to not put 1+1 together.

Form messages are not uncommon, considering these were used as a way to track ocean currents way back when. You'd be expected to return the letter, mentioning where and when you found it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 pm
Spoiler
I'll go along with TPH on this one - the bottle neck is hidden in shadow - what catches the eye is the gold. It could be a gold bar. The paper disappears into the sand (or cloth?) around it. It's not in the bottle...And who puts a form message in a bottle, anyway??
I grokked it was a bottle. And a message. And still managed to not put 1+1 together.

Form messages are not uncommon, considering these were used as a way to track ocean currents way back when. You'd be expected to return the letter, mentioning where and when you found it.
I know what they are, but I'm just having a hard time seeing that as a bottle.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I guess it's the booze hound in me but I instantly pegged that as a liquor bottle, probably gin. (Also, it -is- a gin bottle...which...should I be proud about getting that right?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

For whatever it is or isn’t worth, I negged with “time capsule.” I didn’t recognize it as a bottle + put it together until I’d already “rung in.”
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 pm I'll go along with TPH on this one - the bottle neck is hidden in shadow - what catches the eye is the gold. It could be a gold bar. The paper disappears into the sand (or cloth?) around it. It's not in the bottle...And who puts a form message in a bottle, anyway??
Those were likely part of it too. Even with my glasses I'm not particularly blessed with good eyesight. Every other "message in a bottle" I've seen has been a rolled-up piece of paper in a clear bottle. Not a golden colored, odd shaped object that barely even looks like a bottle, with the message itself tucked off to the side and blending into the background.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 pm
Spoiler

I know someone who still does this. He prefers champagne bottles for glass thickness and opacity to defend against sun damage. In addition to the note, a few dollars are thrown in for postage and to leave a little in the finder's pocket.
OCSam
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 pm For whatever it is or isn’t worth, I negged with “time capsule.” I didn’t recognize it as a bottle + put it together until I’d already “rung in.”
Same, and same. I thought it was some sort of gold(en?) plaque with something stamped on it and a piece of paper.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

On August 3, 2015, Stefani filed for divorce from Rossdale, citing "irreconcilable differences".[121] The divorce was finalized on April 8, 2016, in which Rossdale agreed to the "unequal split" of their assets.[122]

In November 2015, Stefani and her The Voice co-star, country music artist Blake Shelton, announced that they were dating.[123]
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 pm On August 3, 2015, Stefani filed for divorce from Rossdale, citing "irreconcilable differences".[121] The divorce was finalized on April 8, 2016, in which Rossdale agreed to the "unequal split" of their assets.[122]

In November 2015, Stefani and her The Voice co-star, country music artist Blake Shelton, announced that they were dating.[123]
I did a control-F for "2015" on her article, and somehow never saw either of those passages.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lord Jim & Conrad has all kinds of variations in the Archive. By now it has enough appearances that first box is fine while a value or two lower is no crime either. It's a basic title & author match the J! contestants can do while ignoring all of the unnecessary stuff between the category name and the other parts of the clue.

You have seen it before: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197&p=250286&hilit ... im#p250286
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TPH Fails at Math, Volume... Something.

So yeah, Solve for X for $200 in this game.

500 - X + 1 = 381

I don't see anything to do here to simplify it, because you have a -X on one side, not an X. You can take the +1 off, which is 500-X=380. But you can't subtract 500 from both sides, because that would mean doing 380-500.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

500 - X = 380

(First, yes, you certainly COULD subtract 500 from both sides. You would just get -X = -120, which implies that X = 120.)

how I would do it:
Subtract 300 from both sides. This leaves 200 - X = 80.
Then subtract 80 from both sides. This leaves 120 - X = 0.
You can either add X to both sides, or recognize that the only way for 120 - X to equal 0 is if they are equal. Either way, X = 120.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 pm 500 - X = 380

(First, yes, you certainly COULD subtract 500 from both sides. You would just get -X = -120, which implies that X = 120.)

how I would do it:
Subtract 300 from both sides. This leaves 200 - X = 80.
Then subtract 80 from both sides. This leaves 120 - X = 0.
You can either add X to both sides, or recognize that the only way for 120 - X to equal 0 is if they are equal. Either way, X = 120.
That sounds absolutely monstrous for the top box.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I think you should probably understand that you're not the greatest arbiter of difficulty for math questions.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm I think you should probably understand that you're not the greatest arbiter of difficulty for math questions.
Still, that's a HELL of a lot more steps than "5+3X=29", which was the third box down. That was the only one I got looking back at that category.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Not in terms of the types of operations in each question.

200: just addition and subtraction (and I think most people [who are not you] can do 500-380 in their head)
400: addition, subtraction, and exponentiation (squares)
600: radicals (square roots), addition, subtraction, and multiplication
800: multiple solutions of a quadratic equation
1000: changing denominators to subtract fractions (although, to be honest, I think this one should have been a lot lower, maybe the 400)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

380 + X = 500

Okay, that doesn't help me solve for X though.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The easiest way for me to "see" that in my head is by thinking "$3.80 needs to have $1.20 added to it to get to $5.00." That's the type of math I've done thousands of times in my life. (I just did it this week, going out to eat, because I like the total plus tip to come out to a round number.)

But I know this will be of absolutely no help to TPH, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 am The easiest way for me to "see" that in my head is by thinking "$3.80 needs to have $1.20 added to it to get to $5.00." That's the type of math I've done thousands of times in my life. (I just did it this week, going out to eat, because I like the total plus tip to come out to a round number.)
But what if it's 379, 381, 479, 481, or 465? Can't shortcut those the same way, can you?