FJs for the 10/8/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/8/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Of the 23 lawgivers depicted on marble portraits over doors in the U.S. House chamber, he's the only one in the Bible
83%
He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize twice & the Literature Prize 7 times, winning for the latter in 1953
72%
The second half of his service to Eurystheus took him to 6 different places, like Crete, Thrace & the Underworld
78%
The title of this 1947 Lerner & Loewe musical may come from the construction seen here [image shown above]
53%
Both “Barnaby Rudge” & this other famous Dickens novel begin in 1775 & deal with mob violence
74%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
31%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
TRAVEL BOOKS $800: He wrote about a bus trip & other kinds of trips in 1968's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"
47%
BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MALL $1600: Colorful painter of boxing matches & 5 Olympiads who is also an upscale department store founded in Dallas, Texas
47%
AVIATION $1600: This Soviet-era design bureau that gave its name to the USSR's first jet fighter is still building planes
58%
Solomon was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
9%
I had Hercules for my correct response on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
60%
I had Heracles for my correct response on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
"My Fair Lady" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
4%
I have seen a stage version and/or performed in a production and/or seen the 1954 movie of "Brigadoon."
27%
"Oliver Twist" was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
14%

Total votes: 120

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/8/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CAPITOL ART

10/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 23 lawgivers depicted on marble portraits over doors in the U.S. House chamber, he's the only one in the Bible

10/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

10/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize twice & the Literature Prize 7 times, winning for the latter in 1953

10/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGICAL HEROES

10/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The second half of his service to Eurystheus took him to 6 different places, like Crete, Thrace & the Underworld

10/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

10/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this 1947 Lerner & Loewe musical may come from the construction seen here

10/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHARLES DICKENS

10/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Both “Barnaby Rudge” & this other famous Dickens novel begin in 1775 & deal with mob violence

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Moses
Winston Churchill
Hercules
Brigadoon
A Tale of Two Cities

The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 2-1-2-2-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have a semi-requested triple stumper sandwiched by two Alex had correct.

TRAVEL BOOKS $800: He wrote about a bus trip & other kinds of trips in 1968's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"

BEFORE & AFTER AT THE MALL $1600: Colorful painter of boxing matches & 5 Olympiads who is also an upscale department store founded in Dallas, Texas

AVIATION $1600: This Soviet-era design bureau that gave its name to the USSR's first jet fighter is still building planes

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tom Wolfe
LeRoy Neiman Marcus
MiG
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/8/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 
Hercules only
No for all things Brigadoon
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First solid FJ week in quite a while; couldn't pull a Wolfe out of my hat in time. Went with Ken Kesey just to have something to put down within the time limit. Unfortunately, the book was ABOUT Kesey and not BY him. At least I didn't blurt out Ginsburg.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Have seen a couple of film clips from Brigadoon, but never the whole thing or any stage production.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: 
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I would have gotten it anyway, but being able to connect My Fair Lady to a bridge was fatal to my chances of solving on Thursday.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wed - Hercules
Thu - My Fair Lady
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:) :)
Haven't done that in a while...not a lot of rumination required for these clues....maybe a lean toward Orpheus because of the Underworld reference, but that listed only a second.
I have seen Brigadoon the movie and onstage...and yet for a moment I would have said that bridge was in Ireland... :oops:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Picked the wrong beat-era author
Hercules
Haven't seen Brigadoon, have heard some of the music elsewhere (theater-organ concerts)
Guessed O. Twist simply cuz that was the only Dickens title I could come up with offhand. I loathe Dickens only slightly less than I do Shakescrap.
davey

Post by davey »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Tom Wolfe is neither beat-era nor, decidedly, a beat.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No guess on the missed ones. Wednesday was stupid-obvious but I just couldn't parse the clue.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thursday - My Fair Lady (I'd honestly never heard of Brigadoon)

Went with Heracles.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

:( :( :(

Geez, not my best week. Julius Caesar Monday -- as I said in the game thread, I was looking for someone not too Judeo-Christian -- and if I'd ever heard of Brigadoon before, it certainly never made a mark. Couldn't even come up with a good guess on that one. I kept wanting to write Carousel but knew that couldn't be right. The other three clues were not so tough.

As to the three extra clues, on the first I said Ken Kesey confidently and was surprised to neg, but I actually have seen this one come up in my J-archive training. It'll stick this time. I had the Neiman-Marcus but not the Leroy, and Mig was not on my radar (ha) at all. :oops:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I only got Hercules right for FJs this week.

Incorrect guesses for the others were as follows: Nothing for Monday, Lech Walesa for Tuesday (sigh), Bridge Over Troubled Water for Thursday, and Oliver Twist for Friday. It's nice to see Twist included in the poll. Makes me feel better about that one, at least.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I was five kinds of hopeless Thursday. Only title I associated with Lerner and Loewe was Camelot, only bridge title I could think of was Bridge on the River Kwai, and I was pretty sure both of those were wrong. As for Brigadoon, the title is familiar, but I couldn't have said there was a musical by that name, and if you'd asked me what it meant I would have guessed some sort of soldier. I went with Bridge on the River Kwai because I had nothing else but refused to give up a streak of 15 without a guess.

Heracles.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:( :( :mrgreen:

First 5/5 in a while. Also guessed Kesey. I've seen Brigadoon, ages ago.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Tom Wolfe is neither beat-era nor, decidedly, a beat.
He was talking about Winston Churchill, silly.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( Oliver Twist kept me from getting the 5/5.
:( :( :( Timothy Leary, no chance at all even given Nieman Marcus, Aeroflot.
I answered Hercules, and my high school put on a Brigadoon production while I was there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Guessed Churchill with little confidence. Couldn't think of anyone better.

Said Hercules rather than Heracles. Also said Moses rather than Moshe(h), but you didn't ask. In both cases, I thought about going with the less common name/spelling but decided to be extra safe. Didn't notice the "second half" matching up with the 6 but I was pretty confident anyway.

Never seen Brigadoon. Never heard the soundtrack. The only song I know from it is "Almost Like Being in Love". They play Nat King Cole's version at the end of Groundhog Day as the credits start to roll. I got this one off accidentally fast-forwarding too far, seeing the words "Lerner & Lowe" and then a picture of a bridge flash by. I had my response ready by the time I'd rewound to Alex revealing the clue. I still did my due diligence and asked myself what else it could possibly be. I didn't know Brigadoon was Lerner & Lowe (My Fair Lady was the only one I knew was theirs) so I didn't have that extra confidence booster. The only other possibility I came up with was Finian's Rainbow (also released in 1947, but I didn't know that). Sure, the setting in the picture could be Irish. And maybe the bridge looks like a rainbow and has a pot of gold at one end? Nah. Stickin' with Brigadoon.

I toyed with Oliver Twist for a few seconds before coming up with AToTC. 1775 is too early for the French Revolution, but the book starts earlier than the revolution. And 1775 is WAY too early for Oliver Twist or any other Dickens novel I know a little about.

I own and have read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

I've never liked LeRoy Neiman's paintings. Used to see them all the time as I walked past various overpriced art galleries. They seemed obviously pitched to male non art-lovers who felt that having some "art" in their home or office sends a certain message about their socio-economic status. It's no coincidence that Nieman had a long association with Playboy magazine. He fits in perfectly with the Playboy lifestyle. Wikipedia labels his style as Expressionist, which is silly and pretentious. (I immediately checked to see if Thomas Kinkade is labeled as Impressionist, but even Wikipedia doesn't go that far. Yet.)

Couldn't pull MiG. Didn't realize that was a corporation name.