Thursday, October 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE BIRDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2-word name of this black & orange or black & golden state bird derives in part from the Latin for “golden”

Hannah McIntyre: 6400-1501=4899
Jill Hurtt: 13800-7801=5999
Dhruv Srinivasachar: 10800+6800=17600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Baltimore oriole (Hannah - an oriole) (Jill - the oriole)
Daily Doubles
Dhruv: 2800+1000
Hannah: 2800-2800
Hannah: 1200+1200

Coryats
Hannah: 8800
Jill: 13800
Dhruv: 10400

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Hannah: 800
Jill: 5000
Dhruv: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players did a lot TV and LONG MOVIES last. Boo!

There was a lot of board jumping and hesitation selecting clues that seemed to affect the flow of the game in parts.

GEOGRAPHY OF THE MOON $1600 turned into a mess: The moon even has marshes--there's the Marsh of Epidemics, the Marsh of Decay & this marsh, aka Palus Somnii

Jen was negged for Marsh of Dreams, Dhruv rebounded Marsh of Slumber for +$1600

Before revealing the FJ! clue Alex announced that Jill's response was acceptable so +3200 and Dhruv's response was incorrect so -1600 since they would never had gone to him if Jill's response had been accepted.

Then onto the FJ! clue. It's a classic case of RTFC. The qualifier was important and only Dhruv followed through. It can happen to anyone. $1000 was a minor penalty for Hannah (assuming she would have known about her American cities) while Jill's penalty was harsher.

I had no problem with the 2-word part of the clue. What gave me hesitation was insuring it was that easy as I had detours to California and Florida to make sure I was not missing something.

And Johnny gets to say Srinivasachar again. I can only hope for a chat a little less awkward tomorrow as today's on the surname origin was probably not #1 on Dhruv's card.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

I'm astounded that two players didn't take note of the "two word" stipulation on the FJ! clue.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I can see the ruling on FJ but it's a weirdly worded clue. There's nothing about Baltimore that relates to golden, so I could see a contestant (or two) reading too quickly and thinking that it was just "oriole" that they wanted.

(But also a little hard to believe that Hannah and Jill weren't thinking "Baltimore Oriole" so why wouldn't you write it all down?)

Hannah nearly pulled that DD out of a hat - but ironically, got dinged for too much (albeit incorrect) information.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BRD-98 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm I'm astounded that two players didn't take note of the "two word" stipulation on the FJ! clue.
They did say "the" and "an".

I checked wikipedia to see if the oriole was any other state's bird (to strengthen the argument hinted at above), but nope. I wonder if either or both players had heard (as was supposed to be the case for a few years) that there no longer was a distinctly Baltimore oriole but only the generic eastern oriole, and so weren't sure which way to go. Anyway, this is no longer so; the Baltimore Oriole is back. So, btw, is Liederkranz cheese.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

25,600 coryat. Instaget final.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm The players did a lot TV and LONG MOVIES last. Boo!
I will second this. Boo!!
I would prefer not to.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I said "potter" on Tools for $800. Judges?

Can't say I've heard of "wayfarer" before. Rare 0/5 for me in a word category.

Long movies for $400 was huge negbait, since Romeo + Juliet is also from 1996.

That whole Marsh of Dreams thing was one of the biggest scoring foul-ups I've ever seen. Have they ever had to do a triple overturn before?

Lach Trash: veterinarian

Golden -> aurum -> aur -> or -> oriole -> oh wait, two word... uh, Baltimore oriole? Sure, why not.

I remembered the "Baltmore" part because I remember a previous clue BMSing just "oriole" and both myself and the contestant seemed to be unaware that there was more than one kind.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

the caterogy is...State Birds
"Well !@*# I'm screwed...there's the northern cardinal and the Baltimore oriole, and that's the extent of my state bird knowledge."
this black & orange or black & golden state bird
"Woohoo!!!"

Disaster averted. I couldn't even remember NY's state bird until after the fact (it's the eastern bluebird, for the record). Oriole comes from Latin for gold? Huh. I'll file that away.

She beat him to samosas, eh? Thanks for pointing that out, Alex. Noticed a lot of Srinivas-', eh? Thanks for getting to the bottom of that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 pm I said "potter" on Tools for $800. Judges?
I said that, too. With what looked like an edit in there, I suspect that's what they were going for.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I was more Chris Davis than Brooks Robinson on FJ today, dropping the ball as two of the contestants did.

Been a while since I last negged four times in the J! round!

27,400 (38R 4W, 3/3, :oops: )
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see that champion was a one and doner
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:26 pm I can see the ruling on FJ but it's a weirdly worded clue. There's nothing about Baltimore that relates to golden, so I could see a contestant (or two) reading too quickly and thinking that it was just "oriole" that they wanted.

(But also a little hard to believe that Hannah and Jill weren't thinking "Baltimore Oriole" so why wouldn't you write it all down?)

Hannah nearly pulled that DD out of a hat - but ironically, got dinged for too much (albeit incorrect) information.
but the state bird isn't oriole...it is baltimore oriole
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 pm I said "potter" on Tools for $800. Judges?

Can't say I've heard of "wayfarer" before. Rare 0/5 for me in a word category.

Long movies for $400 was huge negbait, since Romeo + Juliet is also from 1996.

That whole Marsh of Dreams thing was one of the biggest scoring foul-ups I've ever seen. Have they ever had to do a triple overturn before?

Lach Trash: veterinarian

Golden -> aurum -> aur -> or -> oriole -> oh wait, two word... uh, Baltimore oriole? Sure, why not.

I remembered the "Baltmore" part because I remember a previous clue BMSing just "oriole" and both myself and the contestant seemed to be unaware that there was more than one kind.

i said potter as well
davey

Post by davey »

Yes, Long Movies was one of the most intriguing categories lately...grrr for all the hesitant category jumping that made us miss most of it. (TPH, most people would know that R&J was not 4 hours long, if they didn't already know that Branagh had nothing to do with it.) Who cares about the moon?? ;)
I'm in solidarity with the 2 women since I did the same thing... :oops: I guess I ran through the clue too fast and latched on to the last word without reviewing the first couple, and was relieved to be done with what seemed a tough category...Hey, it's not like it seemed too easy as recent FJs go... :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yep, you're good there.
Bartleby wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm 25,600 coryat. Instaget final.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm The players did a lot TV and LONG MOVIES last. Boo!
I will second this. Boo!!
Normally I'd concur but they didn't leave the astronomy category for the end which is my usual gripe so...I guess I monkey pawed that one. Oops.

Precalled half of FJ; adding the city was trivial.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It's going to be a handicap for these Canadian players to try to compete with all of these USA Centric Clues.

By the way, the Canadian Parliament has a Ways and Means Committee too.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Facebook's Confetti game had technical difficulties tonight and started halfway through my local airing of the show, so I'll blame my RTFC FJ miss on my multitasking. At least I won $1,500 for my trouble.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Lefty wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:41 pm
BRD-98 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm I'm astounded that two players didn't take note of the "two word" stipulation on the FJ! clue.
They did say "the" and "an".
Not to be pedantic but I wouldn't think articles would count as a word in this case unless in a title or preceding some proper noun(s).

I'm now 10 in a row on Final Jeopardies. They've been real softballs recently.