New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sorry, no new game to add to the Archive. Just a story.

Today at church two gentlemen were visiting. I had a chance to chat with them for friendly conversation during a potluck lunch. One, is a TV meteorologist for local KRON, John Shrable. The other gentleman, Charles McBride (visiting from Casper, Wyoming), was on J! in June 1988: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10644

They knew nothing of the J! Archive, so it was fun when John used his phone to access the site and I directed him how to find the game with Charles. John then read Charles clues from his game and we enjoyed playing along with some of them. Even though Charles and John are friends going back years, John had no idea that Charles had appeared on J!

My past of being on J! had no chance to be kept secret or sprung as the pastor's husband had made it known early in introductions.

Now that I am home it was nice to find that the game was still on DM, so that I could see what Charles looked like 30 years ago.

San Francisco has a population over 850,000 yet it can be a small town with surprising coincidences sometimes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I waved the white flag and filled in the rest of 3/1/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1445

All of the links should work.
robertyknwt
Northernmost J! Champ Ever?

Post by robertyknwt »

I spoke to someone a while ago (Robert Knecht Schmidt? can't remember for sure) about updating my March 1992 games, esp. now that I have DVDs for them all. But that was a year or more ago. Is there a way I can put together the data to get my other games into the archive? Just let me know. :)
5-time champion (1992), originally from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

robertyknwt wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 pm I spoke to someone a while ago (Robert Knecht Schmidt? can't remember for sure) about updating my March 1992 games, esp. now that I have DVDs for them all. But that was a year or more ago. Is there a way I can put together the data to get my other games into the archive? Just let me know. :)
Well, I'd be happy to do it, if you're patient, and I bet Mark Barrett would enjoy a break from his monthy entering of the media-heavy 2002 games he's been doing. PM either or both of us with what you're suggesting.

And thanks for making your games available. Many (much? most?) of those early games in the Archive are thanks to players like you making them available to us.
robertyknwt
Northernmost J! Champ Ever?

Post by robertyknwt »

Thank you very many! The vids are available here.
5-time champion (1992), originally from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

http://users.rcn.com/thomst/jpardy.html - This link has the Final Jeopardy! clues for the champion that Robert defeated in his first game, Thom Stark. Stark's first appearance was March 20, 1992, after Phil Yellman retired with $60K. :)

What were the results for Thom's games (and I mean his previous two ones that he won)?

(I stand corrected, Phil Yellman won $60,400 in his five game run from March 13-19, 1992.)
Last edited by jlgarfield on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jlgarfield wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm http://users.rcn.com/thomst/jpardy.html - This link has the Final Jeopardy! clues for the champion that Robert defeated in his first game, Thom Stark. Stark's first appearance was March 20, 1992, after Phil Yellman retired with $75K. :)

What were the results for Thom's games (and I mean his previous two ones that he won)?
3/20/92
Alicia 1900-1900=0
Mary 9100-5000=4100
Thom 10000+8201=18201

3/23
Thom 9200 +/-? 0=9200
Arlene 3400-3400=0
Tim 3600-100=3500
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

The Internet Archive has the October 1, 1991 (starts at clue #12), October 17, 1994 (complete), and October 18, 1994 (first round only) episodes available if anyone can get them downloaded:

http://archive.org/details/@pannoni4
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 1/28/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1385

I cannot get the link for AMERICANA $400 to work. The others should be fine.

STAR WARS $400 is the 360,000th clue in the Archive.

The FJ! clue was a good one not to ask for both.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:32 pm The FJ! clue was a good one not to ask for both.
Yeah, don't think I ever would have gotten the other one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:32 pm The FJ! clue was a good one not to ask for both.
I only got the other one, oddly enough (due in no small part to this UToC FJ, although I didn't remember just how closely related its subject matter was). I think if I had had to guess both I'd have managed to get it right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:51 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:35 pm
I only got the other one, oddly enough (due in no small part to this UToC FJ, although I didn't remember just how closely related its subject matter was). I think if I had had to guess both I'd have managed to get it right.
Nice recall. With the 1800s hint he's the guy as I remember him and Harding as the scandal-ridden presidents named in high school history class.
The broken clue is fixed as the clue was #27 in the round though marked as #28 in the system storing the images.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm I added the second game of S8 from 9/3/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6006

Player pics of Kathrine Marris (author K.K. Beck), Bob Ramsey & Richard Bannin:
Spoiler

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/ ... 1mafxv.jpg

Here's something neat I found on the internet a while ago: A publicity photo from that ep. Notice how the first round values are up on the board and that there different categories than the ones that were actually used.
Sorry to bring this up a few months later, but on the next show, show #3 of season 8, Richard was ousted by the first 5x winner (of what would become 11 for that season) of the eighth season, Steve Newman.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has posted the October 30, 1991 (starts at clue #10) episode on Dailymotion:

Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am pannoni3 has posted the October 30, 1991 (starts at clue #10) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/playlist/x4myte
Ah, the infamous "William Tell Overture played on teeth" interview!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by Bamaman »

TheConfessor wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:20 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Hi everybody. Just a little update for fans of old games being entered into the J-Archive. I have finally finished Ed Toutant's 2 games. They can be found at

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3776 and
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3794 .
Thanks a lot for doing this, Myron. When I had modest success on Jeopardy! almost 23 years ago, I expected that it would be the beginning and end of my involvement with game shows. I had no idea how many great people and experiences would come into my life as a result of my continued interest and participation. The internet has had a big role in that, though it has also absorbed a lot of the the free time that people used to spend watching game shows. I am grateful to the folks like you and many others in the game show community who are passionate about Jeopardy! and the wider world of competition and trivia. It's always fun to to meet those people in person, and I hope to see you again this August at the TCONA event in Las Vegas.

Good luck to all who still hope to be chosen as a contestant. Keep the faith!

-- Ed Toutant
It was posted on the LL board today that Ed Toutant has died from brain cancer.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has posted the October 26, 1993 (Rachael Schwartz game 3, starts at clue #12) episode on Dailymotion:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know one of the challengers in that game because he usually proctors the WQC in Los Angeles. So of course Alex gave his and Rachael's last names in the interviews, and not the other challenger's.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

And those other challengers' names are:
Jim Newman
Denise Rechter

(Speaking of old shows, today is the release date for "The Jeopardy Book of Answers." Good read, lots of pictures.)
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

rmfromfla wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:13 pm today is the release date for "The Jeopardy Book of Answers." Good read, lots of pictures.
For what it's worth:

Because J! Archive is an archive of the games as they aired, we will not be adding the various unrevealed clues from the book's games into J! Archive.