Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SURNAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Evoking speed & luxury, this one of the 10 most common Italian surnames goes back to the Latin word for iron

Emily Frey: 13600+6799=20399
Laura Hite: 3400+3399=6799
Jonathan Greenan: 14200+13001=27201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ferrari

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 2800-1200
Laura: 5000-2000
Jonathan: 12800+3000

Coryats
Emily: 13600
Laura: 5400
Jonathan: 14000

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 5600
Laura: 3800
Jonathan: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex announced the Teen Tournament starting on Wednesday. For those that like the orderly approach of the ten games M-F & M-F the move is necessary due to election coverage on Tuesday preempting the show in multiple markets.

For those in KGO land there will be another preemption on Monday the 12th for local coverage of the 49ers and NYG playing that night.

Jonathan corrected Alex’s calling him a professional curler and changed it to semi-professional at best. Jonathan woulda/coulda/shoulda been defeated to uphold the silly jinx that’s fun to bring up, other than Emily’s unfortunate (for her) negging the game away to close the DJ! round.

The FJ! clue combination of word origin associated with Latin, cars, and an element was not as bad as the description might seem. Doing the element symbol for iron to get the starting two letters was something I could handle to join the players.

Some sitcom I saw had a display for ____ days without an accident. Someone got hurt in a comical way and the display had to be reset to zero to gain a laugh. The J! counter for games without all 61 clues gets changed from 13 to 0.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm Alex announced the Teen Tournament starting on Wednesday. For those that like the orderly approach of the ten games M-F & M-F the move is necessary due to election coverage on Tuesday preempting the show in multiple markets.
And they can't wait to start it on the 12th because then it would run into Thanksgiving (and possibly out of sweeps).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Emily rocked the same look three games out of four, but this time didn't prove to be the charm.
Spoiler
I really liked Emily and am sorry to see her go, especially in a game where a single change would have made all the difference. I think she knew that Truman clue at the end and would have gotten it if she'd given herself half a second to think. That would have given her the game. Oh well. Jonathan is a worthy champ. And I liked Laura and her two-year-old traffic enthusiast as well. There wasn't really anyone to root against here and someone had to win.

A clue asked for the KING GAMES BIBLE LINE DO THIS "TO CAESAR THE THINGS THAT ARE CAESAR'S." The King James spec pins the language but still gives a couple of options. They accepted Emily's "What is Render?" as they should have. That's the version in Mark 12. But I hope they were also prepared to accept "What is Render therefore un" as the line appears in Matthew 22 and Luke 20. 8-)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small."

From the start of Season 20, Shore's Conjecture has enjoyed 71 wins and suffered 61 losses. --Bob
Last edited by Bob78164 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Didn't realize the last name was that common, but instaget.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

What a brutal way to go. I practically had an entire "Johnathan threw the game away by not betting more on that DD" post written in my head, and then she blurted out FDR. I was shaking my head in shock and disbelief right along with her. BRUTAL.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm The J! counter for games without all 61 clues gets changed from 13 to 0.
Finally!!!

Instaget 25-second-get FJ.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a dreadfully unsatisfying Final Jeopardy. When the champ botched the The Truman portrait, and the Challenger wound up on top of her, my first thought was that will ruin her if it's an easy final. And it turned out it was. But she didn't know how to wager in that situation, so it just didn't matter.

That final was so easy that after it was read I pushed the skip button on my DVR to go ahead 30 seconds to the reveal.

Has there ever been a champ from Prince Edward Island before?
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yay, we finally got 61 clues! And this is my last J! before I leave for Hawaii!

Athens = Democracy was new to me.

"Henchmen" was my only miss in Gender-Free. Just had a brainfart and couldn't get off "yes-men" in time.

I sang when answering both "Istanbul" (not Constantinople) and (George, George,) "George of the Jungle".

I thought the Room category was very tough.

0/5 in Great, which is rare for me in a word category. "Great White Way" was extremely unfamiliar.

Latin for iron -> Ferrum -> ferr... ... ...Ferrari? Yeah, that sounds like speed and luxury to me.

Lach Trash: atmospheres, Julia Ward Howe
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm And this is my last J! before I leave for Hawaii!
Sweet! Have a great trip!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm Yay, we finally got 61 clues! And this is my last J! before I leave for Hawaii!
Oahu?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Lach trash on Ampere.

Not the FJ clue that I would want to see after I lost the lead on clue 60.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Emily snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and on the easiest clue of the game no doubt.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

How is 'atmos' a TS? Pure 100% WECIB. :o
Julia Ward Howe was another easy TS.
FJ: iron > ferrum > Ferrari. Done. 8-)
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I had heard the FJ fact before; I imagine I would have gotten it anyway. Whew, no Box of Shame!

How does it happen that "gingham" comes up on Jeopardy on the day that I wear gingham for the first time in my life?

A step slow putting together the Alexander the Great clue, and forgot the category momentarily on The Great Communicator (though I'd have had it on the rebound). It's been a long week. 37 R 0 W, 31,800. Fun reading all your posts and being part of this community.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This easy FJ saved me from having to check the box of shame.

I really wish Alex would stop spoiling the result of Final ahead of time.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

bigblue999 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 pm Emily snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and on the easiest clue of the game no doubt.
True, but I thought the needless neg on the "unit of current named for a Frenchman" clue was worse. Jonathan had already negged, so all she had to do was stay clam and she would have been in.

Easy FJ!.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm Emily rocked the same look three games out of four, but this time didn't prove to be the charm.
Spoiler
I really liked Emily and am sorry to see her go, especially in a game where a single change would have made all the difference. I think she knew that Truman clue at the end and would have gotten it if she'd given herself half a second to think. That would have given her the game. Oh well. Jonathan is a worthy champ. And I liked Laura and her two-year-old traffic enthusiast as well. There wasn't really anyone to root against here and someone had to win.

A clue asked for the KING GAMES BIBLE LINE DO THIS "TO CAESAR THE THINGS THAT ARE CAESAR'S." The King James spec pins the language but still gives a couple of options. They accepted Emily's "What is Render?" as they should have. That's the version in Mark 12. But I hope they were also prepared to accept "What is Render therefore un" as the line appears in Matthew 22 and Luke 20. 8-)
i am the opposite...i am glad to see her bounced and gone...not a fan of people who must say the full name of the category...waste of time and could hinder the chances of revealing all clues