Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 am Augh, people drive me crazy with that "I'm going to take a wild stab"! If you don't know, take the damn money.
Depends on how early they go for it. If someone's at 7k, and risks a couple thousand bucks for 10k and a chance at a better question, meh go for it. Most are rather foolish though.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ack! My show is going to air on Nov 14th :shock:

Halloween, NYC clown marathon, 2018 midterm elections, Millionaire!!! My head's going to explode!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm Ack! My show is going to air on Nov 14th :shock:

Halloween, NYC clown marathon, 2018 midterm elections, Millionaire!!! My head's going to explode!
Retro good luck, morbeedo.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:34 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm Ack! My show is going to air on Nov 14th :shock:

Retro good luck, morbeedo.
Sweeps Week, question mark?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Morbeedo on November 14th so nice the wait is not until May.

All of the questions from the 10/30 show in one fell swoop with the picture format and not video. Definitely a spoiler if you enter.
Spoiler
Robin Richards returning for the $10,000 question
$20,000
$30,000
$50,000

Lifeline usage:
Spoiler
Robin used the 50:50 on the $30,000 question and it left king of Thailand & third tallest mountain

Robin called down his friend Ed for the $50,000 question and they decided to use the audience.
42% Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
41% Full House
17% Family Matters
0% Northern Exposure
Answers:
Spoiler
Marquis De Lafayette
Iron
Current king of Thailand
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
The next Fourth of July
Mount Saint Elias
Comments:
Spoiler
Robin teaches history & government which helped with the $10,000 and $100,000 questions.  Robin made Mount Rainier his final answer as he thought that was the highest in the lower 48.  Nope, that's Mt. Whitney in Calif.  He left with $50,000.

TV for $50,000 would be what I want, but I did not know that one as I never saw an episode of the Seymour show.  Full House was out because I knew the run years for that one.  Like the audience I was not feeling Northern Exposure.  50:50 would have been my play there with no idea if it would have left Full House for me.  I am not David Kendall, so more help needed on the 100K Q.

Note: The question of the day was connecting the word "discotheque" to "record library."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:02 pm morbeedo on November 14th so nice the wait is not until May
Thanks, Mark! If you would capture my 15 minutes in a downloadable shareable idiot-proof format, I’d be very grateful to you!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Re: Robin Richards:
Spoiler
There's a bunch of tall mountains in Alaska. Denali's not the only one. You don't even get to the contiguous states until #11 with Mt. Whitney. (Bear is 9 and Wrangell is 36).

The 4th of July and Dr. Quinn were both pretty good pulls, though.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Great playing by Robin!
Spoiler
Lafayette makes the most sense on $10K. Strong lean on Iron for $20k but for some reason I couldn't quite say it with confidence (in my defense, I was very tired :D). +1 maybe for extra confidence, depending on who I bring.

30K: Tallest mountain in Nepalese sounds like something a writer would add in as an appealing wrong answer. 50/50 was a good play; Thailandish king it is!

50K: Seen every episode of Full House ('87-'95) way too many times, and likely wasn't Family Matters ('89-'98); seen a lot of episodes of that show. I have never seen the other two. ATA there, and go B along with them.

100K: Down to B and D - if I paused the TV to think, maybe I figure it out but most likely would need a lifeline there.

250K: Probably would be out by this point, but I'd look away from Rainier as it sounds like another case where the writers are trying to tempt someone into the obvious, "brand-name" answer that everyone knows. I wouldn't have a guess at that point and likely walk, but I love when people take a chance at 250k. There's higher upside than downside in my eyes. Would have loved to see the last two questions, simply to see what they were.

Again, congrats to Robin on a tremendous performance!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

NHO Mount Bear.

Blindly guessed Elbert, as I knew that one is in Colorado.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Since the fact that a $250k question came up is a spoiler, I'm spoilerizing. On the $250k question, the expected value of a completely random guess is 0 (ignoring the potential $500k and $1m questions). If you're able to eliminate one answer, the EV jumps to $58k. So if you've got the guts and/or have some knowledge, it's worth a stab.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Carpe Diem wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm A video of the portion that matters for the 10/25 episode. Definitely a spoiler.
Spoiler
Spoiler
"Himosa" > "manmosa" IMHO.
Spoiler
Where does "mimbrosa" fall?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 pm
Carpe Diem wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm A video of the portion that matters for the 10/25 episode. Definitely a spoiler.
Spoiler
Spoiler
"Himosa" > "manmosa" IMHO.
Spoiler
Where does "mimbrosa" fall?
:lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Another day, another contestant steering himself wrong by steering the audience wrong.

$20,000 question: Which of the following accurately describes cattle that are "polled"?
A: They have no horns
B: They're branded
C: They're a mixed breed
D: They're black
Spoiler
Miles McMahon, despite being from the "cow town" of Kansas City, didn't have a strong sense of what it could be. Talking it through for a moment, he said he could imagine that polled cattle had been counted in some way, as people are at the polls, and connected that with branding them, but he asked the audience just to be sure. They obliged him, returning 71% for B (and 15% for A, 10% for C, and 4% for D). He made B his final answer and left with $5,000. The correct answer (which I knew solely from an old Peanuts comic) was A, no horns.

In the first place, this was a pretty bad question to ATA on, but he didn't help himself by announcing what felt the most plausible before he did it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm Another day, another contestant steering himself wrong by steering the audience wrong.

$20,000 question: Which of the following accurately describes cattle that are "polled"?
Spoiler
Miles McMahon, despite being from the "cow town" of Kansas City, didn't have a strong sense of what it could be. Talking it through for a moment, he said he could imagine that polled cattle had been counted in some way, as people are at the polls, and connected that with branding them, but he asked the audience just to be sure. They obliged him, returning 71% for B (and 15% for A, 10% for C, and 4% for D). He made B his final answer and left with $5,000. The correct answer (which I knew solely from an old Peanuts comic) was A, no horns.

In the first place, this was a pretty bad question to ATA on, but he didn't help himself by announcing what felt the most plausible before he did it.
Well, my friend is clearly seen in the audience entering an answer on the keypad, so I asked him, hey Peter, which one did you vote for? And he said he wasn’t in the audience for this episode! Mind blown! Television is a lie!
earendel

Post by earendel »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm Another day, another contestant steering himself wrong by steering the audience wrong.

Spoiler

Too bad he didn't say he wanted to "poll the audience" (as many contestants do). :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

earendel wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 amToo bad he didn't say he wanted to "poll the audience" (as many contestants do). :mrgreen:
The producers specifically ask you NOT to state it that way. Always say "Ask the Audience".

Yeah, 70-something percent was hard to turn down, but I knew it was the horns. And then the next guy comes on and immediately eliminates the brain.
earendel

Post by earendel »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 am
earendel wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 amToo bad he didn't say he wanted to "poll the audience" (as many contestants do). :mrgreen:
The producers specifically ask you NOT to state it that way. Always say "Ask the Audience".
I know, but some still do.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Not too long ago, my Mom sent me an entire article about patents. It was mainly about the American Patent Office sending its one millionth patent or something like that.

Anyway, it mentioned Abraham Lincoln's patent of the buoyancy mechanism. Mom even said that would make a good trivia question. What are the odds?!? :o

5/5 on $250,000 questions in Season 17 so far.
Douglas Squasoni
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

earendel wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 am
I know, but some still do.
I think contestants would be forgiven for a pun that pointed. (Or blunted, here.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And ... Military Week leads off with an "I'm just going to go for it" with the predictable result and two lifelines left (IIRC).