Etiquette question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Etiquette question

Post by Euphonium »

I've been watching the old(ish) ToC episodes that are on Netflix; is it out of line for me to dig up the threads for those and comment on them if I feel so moved?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Etiquette question

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:07 am I've been watching the old(ish) ToC episodes that are on Netflix; is it out of line for me to dig up the threads for those and comment on them if I feel so moved?
wouldn't see why not...i see people digging up threads from several years ago on a regular basis
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Zombie threads are the best.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I don't think there is a consensus. Somebody was doing it a few months ago to non-TOC game threads and there were complaints.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:47 am
Euphonium wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:07 am I've been watching the old(ish) ToC episodes that are on Netflix; is it out of line for me to dig up the threads for those and comment on them if I feel so moved?
wouldn't see why not...i see people digging up threads from several years ago on a regular basis
That doesn't make it good etiquette (which, frankly, is what was being asked here).

(ETA: Much like there's an "Older Games In J! Archive thread" here, the "Jeopardy On Netflix" thread might not be the worst spot for discussion of those games.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For historical organization purposes it's much better, IMO, if all discussions pertinent to a game go in the thread for that game, if such thread exists. The "New old" games thread is generally for really old games that predate JBoard (and, for the most part, any Jeopardy! Internet discussion forum, for that matter).
davey

Post by davey »

Say something interesting and I don't expect people will complain...
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

My general rule is "if the thread hasn't been active for more than 30 days, create a new thread".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I think it's fine to resurrect the threads, as it isn't uncommon for that to happen to old game threads as it is. I feel like the Netflix thread should be more for general discussion about games appearing on Netflix or whatever other platform. And I also think that creating brand new threads for discussions of old games would just be a huge mess.

But Alietr should have the final say, of course.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

The older a thread is, the more substantial the reply should be.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Vowela wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm The older a thread is, the more substantial the reply should be.
Yes. Nobody cares about anybody's Coryat/Lach trash from an old game, which constituted the posts that generated complaints.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 pmNobody cares about anybody's Coryat/Lach trash from an old game
FTFY?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 pmNobody cares about anybody's Coryat/Lach trash from an old game
FTFY?
;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

StevenH wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 pm I think it's fine to resurrect the threads, as it isn't uncommon for that to happen to old game threads as it is. I feel like the Netflix thread should be more for general discussion about games appearing on Netflix or whatever other platform. And I also think that creating brand new threads for discussions of old games would just be a huge mess.
I agree with this.
Vowela wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm The older a thread is, the more substantial the reply should be.
I definitely agree with this as well.

As with everything on here, you're free to ignore anything that doesn't interest you. But I would prefer to avoid clutter.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 pm
FTFY?
;)
For whatever it's worth: I care. I look at it this way: if this were a weightlifting forum, I think it would be appropriate, in addition to talking about upcoming competitions and new gear and strategy, to talk about how one fared on a particular day, and about one's frustrations and joys and sense of what one could have done differently. In addition to qualitative accounts of this, a quantitative account (e.g. a Coryat) is relevant. And I do think the analogy holds; in addition to talking about Jeopardy as a TV program, many of us treat this as a kind of intellectual weightlifting...

I find posts that share Coryat/Lach Trash / etc info, especially when they also talk further about the ups and downs of their game, to be quite useful. They help me gauge my own progress, to get a sense of the day-to-day variance that even players much better than me experience and see how often they neg, and so on. But most of all, they make all of this quest to improve, etc, etc, that I'm undertaking seem a little less lonely: others are, in the end, going through the same thing, and wrestling with similar numbers.