Monday, November 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHARACTERS IN CHILDREN’S LIT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Memories of refugees in British train stations before & after WWII helped inspire the creation of this character

Jonathan Greenan: 14400-5000=9400
Mary Ann Borer: 19200+19000=38200 (New Champ)
Gerald: 0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Paddington (Bear) (Jonathan – Harry Potter)

Daily Doubles
Mary Ann: 3600+3000
Gerald: 7400-7400
Mary Ann: 14600+1000

Coryats
Jonathan: 14400
Mary Ann: 17400
Gerald: 7400

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 7200
Mary Ann: 8200
Gerald: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Gerald’s opening and closing.
Spoiler
Gerald’s father-in-law with four wins on Fleming J! will maintain bragging rights.

The FJ! clue gave me two names as I wrote the correct name including the animal portion and anticipated Jonathan’s incorrect response possibly showing up.

Mary Ann demonstrated skill on lit clues to make her solve go along with results in some previous clues.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I got this, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a Paddington book. It was the occasional TV special when I was a kid, and now the movies, which I hear are very good, especially 2.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Kudos (?) to Gerald for going all in but wow, that was a supremely bad guess - like, how do you not even guess someone from the correct country?? And, after just getting what was a much harder clue. I'll take "Things That Make You Scratch Your Head," Alex!

But hey, he recognized the opportunity and went for it - and he looked like he still had a great time. (And boo to the show for continuing to do things like waste time with mini commercials and foreclosing Gerald from getting back above zero with that final clue).

Edited to add: the FJ clue seems a bit misleading because everything I've found points to the author's recollection of children being shipped out of London during WWII and yet the clue specifically mentions before and after WWII, i.e., excluding during the war. Which seems - odd.
Last edited by Elijah Baley on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

If someone wanted to be smarmy, would they have accepted "10 of Hearts"? I don't see how the clue actually precludes it...

EDIT: Also, "column" for "pillar"?

EDIT 2: Ugh, that Ariana Grande clue did NOT age.

EDIT 3: Did I hear Jonathan sigh in frustration as Alex read the promo for "Mars" at the end of the category?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Alright. $36,800 Coryat. Got Paddington at the last moment, when I remembered where the story starts for him. Harry Potter isn't completely unreasonable--train stations figure prominently, after all--but JK Rowling isn't anywhere near old enough to have memories of the sort described in the clue. A better guess might have been any of the kids from Chronicles of Narnia.

The Lady Gaga and Bad Romance categories killed me--only got the first one in each (I knew that Queen did "Radio Ga Ga," but I froze up at the moment). The latter is a bit of a shock--I'm usually good with literature categories, I'm not sure what the issue was here. 5/5 each on The Onion, Sister Cities, and Rhymes With Mug, though.

In DJ, 5/5 on Word Origins, passed on one each in Mars (forgot who Icarus's father was), Pop Culture (never seen any of the Dragon Tattoo movies, have zero interest in doing so) ("Mortal Kombat" was a WAG for "combat video game" for which I got lucky), and didn't come up with "Troglodyte" (I usually associate it with something different, never connected it to caves--but then I studied Latin in college, not Greek). Got two outright wrong in British History (said "Londoninium" instead of "Canterbury," and I knew there had been an assassination attempt on Thatcher but didn't put it together in time), but the rest correct.

Disappointed that Mammoth Cave was a TS.

Holy crap Mary Ann is good. Maybe it was just me but she seemed to be just a bit behind on the buzzer in J, but came on strong in DJ when everyone else was slowing down coming up with responses for the harder clues.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Gerald would've gotten one last chance at breaking into the black if there hadn't been a sponsored category (National Geographic) plus for another movie opening this week starring an actress I've never heard of. I was pulling for him after he went all-in on his DD.

I guess I've resigned myself to the notion we're going to have c. 2-3 sponsored categories/week for the duration. Merve Griffin bean counters must love them.

It sure worked out well for Mary Ann betting way more than she needed to on FJ. Jonathan wins easily on a TS, and that clue was no gimme.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

"Before and after WWII" = a character created after 1945. Before I took the year into consideration, Oliver Twist was first to come to mind. But I knew it couldn't be right.

I didn't know who to put down as a reasonable response with that year in mind. But then Paddington came to mind, knowing he came from a foreign country. I put him down just to have something. Lo and behold, I was right.

I'll also thank my recent growing interest in WWTBAM again for helping me think of Paddington faster, as he was the subject of a million dollar question in one of the Regis episodes.

Congrats to Mary Ann on a big win.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

2 disappointments

it is guy fawkes day and no clue in the british history category

no clue involving the 1st cities to become sister cities

Incorrect wording of a clue

they use the term tournament in the poker clue involving phil ivey....it isn't a tournament...it is a series of tournaments....should have used "series of tournaments" or "event"
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm EDIT 2: Ugh, that Ariana Grande clue did NOT age.
It also turned Mr. Davidson into a woman for some reason (he was her fiancé, not her fiancée).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Jonathan - i don't want to win, here's a silly round number wager that will drastically reduce my winning chances.
Mary Ann - Oh yeah? Well I don't want to win either. You think that's a poor wager? I'll show you a poor wager!
Boardies without auditions - Let's pull all our hair out and get plastered.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats to Mary Ann. We liked her a lot. But that wager was unfortunate and I'm glad it didn't bite her. She would have lost on a double-stumper when there was no need to do so--especially since Jonathan overwagered by $200.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Thomas the Tank Engine.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Recent Headlines in The Onion (5), Sister Cities (4), Rhymes with Mug (3), Poker Face (1), Bad Romance (4), Lady Gaga (4)

National Geographic: Mars (3), Pop Culture (3), Caves (3), Word Origins (2), British History (5), Drum Schtick (0)

Lach Trash: Mammoth Cave, Lascaux; Daily Double: Alfred the Great

Instaget FJ because I remember reading about the connection to Paddington station.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:24 pm Congrats to Mary Ann. We liked her a lot. But that wager was unfortunate and I'm glad it didn't bite her. She would have lost on a double-stumper when there was no need to do so--especially since Jonathan overwagered by $200.
Shouldn't she assume Jonathan knows how to bet from second and therefore she's going to lose on a double stumper if she bets to cover? In that case she might as well go big or go home. Children's lit also seems like a category that someone could easily feel very strong in, so if she felt she was highly likely to get it right I don't hate her bet at all, take that money while you have the chance.

Actually one more thought, if Jonathan doesn't bet small enough to win on a double stumper, he's quite likely to bet it all, so by leaving $200 behind she does retain a pretty decent chance to win given how often we see second place leave nothing behind. Just because he picked the big round number figure instead of betting either strategically or with typical recklessness doesn't make her bet awful.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I suppose they want to get their "This opens next week" adverts out today and tomorrow...? That was a little excessive.

I got FJ, matching my solve total from last week. My first thought was the right one; I detoured a jot by considering Madeline, but she just seemed too out there, plus I was pretty sure she lived in an orphanage (actually apparently a boarding school -- I just remembered the dormitory) and not a train station. Thomas the Tank Engine is an amusing miss and I'd have considered him if I'd thought of him; he was one of my very favorites as a toddler but he never occurred to me in this context, perhaps because of the refugee thing. Then again, it's not like the Thomas characters always had lives of luxury, either:

Stuff that came up today that I sort of knew but couldn't pull out in time: Troglodyte, Middlemarch, Lascaux... didn't guess on Mortal Kombat or Athens, but maybe should have....?

Another weird synchronicity: ten minutes before I sat down to play today, I had a conversation with some of the other Master's students about Pete Davidson. That was... not knowledge I was expecting to come up on Jeopardy so soon.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:15 pm Stuff that came up today that I sort of knew but couldn't pull out in time: Troglodyte, Middlemarch, Lascaux... didn't guess on Mortal Kombat or Athens, but maybe should have....?
I didn't realize Mortal Kombat changed studios (and, related, that Midway had gone under). Otherwise the 'K' TOM should've been a massive gimme.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
clprez

Post by clprez »

Paddington is a train/tube station in London and thought that perhaps the bear was named after it, so I was pretty sure of my FJ guess.