Tuesday, November 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:13 am I know nothing about Sailor Moon other than that it's a thing that exists,
Same here. I suspect that's still one more thing than Alex knew.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 pm "University of Auburn" should not have been accepted.
That's definitely an odd way of referring to it, but awkward phrasing doesn't make it wrong. It unequivocally refers to one place, just as, say, University of Harvard or University of Duke do. (University of Cambridge or University of Oxford would be more problematic.)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Holy shit now that Mary Ann's got the buzzer figured out she's going to be unstoppable. Beating everyone out on nearly everything early in the J! round.

EDIT: I like Lonnie too. "I can't prove it, but it happened!"

EDIT 2: Damn Mary Ann's even more awesome after that interview.

EDIT 3: ANGELA LANSBURY OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

EDIT 4: DIANNE FEINSTEIN I VOTED FOR YOU GOOOO!

EDIT 5: There's a Spongebob musical? Disappointed in this trend of derivative musical theater...

EDIT 6: And now Mean Girls?

EDIT 7: Thanks for having us read De Bello Gallico, Dr. Dixon!
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 am Mary Ann is certainly quick and has good range of knowledge, but her competition has been, well, underwhelming. I don't think we know yet how she'll respond to a good test. Though maybe she'll star in the next adaptation of Sailor Moon.
Give me a break. Someone's putting up an average Coryat north of $20K and you start saying this? This is incredibly disrespectful to both Mary Ann and her competition in even its most generous interpretation.

Her competition has been more than game and Mary Ann's still demolishing them.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Coryat: $36,000

J: 21/29, no response on DD
DJ: 25/29, both DDs correct
FJ: Incorrect.

LT: Lebanon, Christopher Columbus, Alluvial

2/5 on shoes, 2/4 on soda fountain. Said "Saudi Arabia" for Syria's biggest neighbor, remembered that part of the Black Desert is in Jordan after Chloe was corrected for it. 5/5 on 90s and College Football Names, which was really a generic universities category that the football part did nothing for.

4/5 in Women's Firsts (I for some reason pegged Bissell as a toothbrush or toothpaste manufacturer...), including my only incorrect response in DJ (I also had three non-responses). 5/5 on Raising Cane and "Re"noun, 4/4 on Books of Romans.

Took me a while to figure out what they were going for with FJ, and then all I could think of is L-1--I knew there was another category of vertebrae, but couldn't remember the name or letter for it.

OK, Mary Ann is going to be unstoppable for a while now that she's got the buzzer figured out. Already picking her for ToC.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 am And in the category of unusual misses (yeah, getting fancy with the Universities should have cost him Auburn - I was surprised it was accepted) is Lonnie and the plethora of journalists held hostage in Israel.

Also surprised neither got FJ. Mary Ann is certainly quick and has good range of knowledge, but her competition has been, well, underwhelming. I don't think we know yet how she'll respond to a good test. Though maybe she'll star in the next adaptation of Sailor Moon.
Mary Ann hasn't exactly limped into FJ, even if the competition hasn't been as fierce as some - although Jonathan was no slouch either.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 am Can anyone think of alphanumeric anatomy not pertaining to the spine?
The K9 teeth :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Don't say I never gave you anything. For the cervical vertebrae, think of a cervical collar, which goes around your neck. The thorax is your chest, so that's where the thoracic vertebrae are. That leaves the lumbar vertebrae at the bottom (lumbago is lower back pain).

Spinal Column.JPG
Spinal Column.JPG (55.49 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Betting $10,000 on a lock FJ when she clearly didn't understand the category was pure
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

35,200 coryat. Ran In The '90s, Familiar Phrases, College Football, Its Biggest Neighbor, and the four clues shown in Books of Romans.

Anatomy is probably my weakest subject, so final was not happening for me. With "A1" being my best write something/anything down guess, thank goodness nothing was actually at steak.

While not optimal, "University of Auburn" is sufficiently telligible.

I said "Paul McCartney" for IN THEIR 90s $800. Judges?

Fighting evil by moonlight
Winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!

SailorMoon.jpg
SailorMoon.jpg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
Last edited by Bartleby on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 am There's a Spongebob musical? Disappointed in this trend of derivative musical theater...
For better or worse, musical theater has always been derivative (My Fair Lady, Phantom of the Opera, Oliver!, Annie, Wicked, Cabaret, Les Mis, etc.).
floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm Betting $10,000 on a lock FJ when she clearly didn't understand the category was pure
Nah, any wager in excess of $17,199 could be described as hubris. This merely amounts maximally to a mistake. The gods remain unperturbed.
I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm Betting $10,000 on a lock FJ when she clearly didn't understand the category was pure
Well, I think blindly attempting to embed images from random websites is pure bloggif.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 am Can anyone think of alphanumeric anatomy not pertaining to the spine?
I had a tumor once. It was B9.

:mrgreen:
Nice. I just had one of my own removed this summer! (It was a lump of fat right in the center of my forehead, for real.)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

theFJguy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALPHANUMERIC ANATOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alphanumerically, it’s at the top of the spine & lets you nod
alietr wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 am Don't say I never gave you anything. For the cervical vertebrae, think of a cervical collar, which goes around your neck. The thorax is your chest, so that's where the thoracic vertebrae are. That leaves the lumbar vertebrae at the bottom (lumbago is lower back pain).

Spinal Column.JPG
my FJ answer might've been controversial...
I'd put myself at 98% certain in "C-1"
But a solid 100% certainty that the top vertebra is also called "atlas"

[as noted in that graphic]

AND doesn't the word "atlas" also match the spirit of the clue?

Do we think I would've been ok with "What is atlas?"
Last edited by RobW on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RobW wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm
ALPHANUMERIC ANATOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
alietr wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 am Don't say I never gave you anything. For the cervical vertebrae, think of a cervical collar, which goes around your neck. The thorax is your chest, so that's where the thoracic vertebrae are. That leaves the lumbar vertebrae at the bottom (lumbago is lower back pain).

Spinal Column.JPG

[as noted in that grahic]

It's not alphanumeric.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 pm
RobW wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm
ALPHANUMERIC ANATOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE

Spinal Column.JPG

[as noted in that grahic]

It's not alphanumeric.
Yeah I think I'd get an "oh, soorry" for it. But if I was standing there, I'd work hard to make the case that some uses of the adjective "alphanumeric" allow the use of digits or letters, but don't require the use of both.

Or I will assume I wrote "C-1" with that imaginary light pen. ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spinal Column.JPG
Thanks for the image. I was very slightly worried about how the sacroiliac bones were named, but not too much because of the nodding TOM. The image has edumacated me.

There seems to be an extra coccyx bone by my math. This cat seems to be sporting a vestigial tail? Must be a Trump voter :lol:

I think I learned we have 33 vertebrae. TIL the 5 sacral ones are fused and the 4 coccyx ones are fused. And that the sacroiliac is the attachment to the pelvis.

From the interwebs:

• How Many Bones Make Up the Human Spine?

The human spinal column is made up of 33 bones - 7 vertebrae in the cervical region, 12 in the thoracic region, 5 in the lumbar region, 5 in the sacral region and 4 in the coccygeal region.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 am
guessonguessonguess wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 pm "University of Auburn" should not have been accepted.
That's definitely an odd way of referring to it, but awkward phrasing doesn't make it wrong. It unequivocally refers to one place, just as, say, University of Harvard or University of Duke do. (University of Cambridge or University of Oxford would be more problematic.)
why would it be more problematic for them?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 pm
learn something new every day...never knew that nascar people watched jeopardy
Yeah I definitely bet the two are not a common duo. Harder to watch these days with the constant rule changes and my favorite drivers retiring, but so it goes. Knowledge of the sport's history helps get more clues than you think, like this Final, so it's not a complete waste!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

Bartleby wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 am There's a Spongebob musical? Disappointed in this trend of derivative musical theater...
For better or worse, musical theater has always been derivative (My Fair Lady, Phantom of the Opera, Oliver!, Annie, Wicked, Cabaret, Les Mis, etc.).
It's not that so many new musicals are based on other works. It's that they are largely brand extensions, marketing opportunities. For what it's worth - the SpongeBob musical has closed. It never caught on. Mean Girls rolls on...as does Pretty Woman: The Musical... :roll: And opening tonight: King Kong, with a 2-story tall puppet in the title role...
I kind of like the idea of coccyx as alpha-numeric. After all, we're not penalized for misspelling... ;)
I'm mildly surprised that these spine designations are well known to anybody who isn't a medical professional...or a health care professional for that matter...I vaguely know they exist, but not enough to guess anything but A-1, which seemed too simple...
I also never heard of Sailor Moon, so I'm feeling a little out of it after this episode...