Wednesday, November 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am Was there a TOM in the UCLA clue other than the year that would lead one to the correct answer rather than USC? I clammed, since I didn't know USC is about 40 years older, but I feel like I may have missed something else.
Westwood Boulevard.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am Maya's response of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" got me rooting for her.
Same here.

There have been some ads for Dear Evan Hansen during Jeopardy! itself on WABC (NY). So thanks, whatever's been making WTNH's signal hard to watch. I didn't know it involved social media, but I knew it was a recent thing about teens. I swear it came up in LL recently, too (and I got it wrong, playing along the next day).

Was there a TOM in the UCLA clue other than the year that would lead one to the correct answer rather than USC? I clammed, since I didn't know USC is about 40 years older, but I feel like I may have missed something else.

westwood in the name of the street...legendary basketball coach john wooden was known as "the wizard of westwood"
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 am westwood in the name of the street...legendary basketball coach john wooden was known as "the wizard of westwood"
Thanks. I figured it was probably a sports thing I've never heard of, but I didn't have the wording of the clue, so i couldn't look it up.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

trainman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:32 am Emma is enough of a pixie that I looked to see if she had pointed ears.
Highest-pitched voice in Jeopardy history?

We’ll hear it again next week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 am
trainman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:32 am Emma is enough of a pixie that I looked to see if she had pointed ears.
Highest-pitched voice in Jeopardy history?
We were arguing over whose voice is higher -- hers or Bernadette's.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I’ve been a baseball fan for 40 years and don’t think I’ve ever heard of Wins Above Replacement. :oops:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 am I’ve been a baseball fan for 40 years and don’t think I’ve ever heard of Wins Above Replacement. :oops:
It's a pretty important sabermetric stat.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 am I’ve been a baseball fan for 40 years and don’t think I’ve ever heard of Wins Above Replacement. :oops:
Seriously? Well, 30 of those years won't count as far as WAR is concerned, but yeah, if you've been paying any attention to the sport in the last 10 years or so, you should have heard of WAR. And OPS, for that matter. But then again, I'm a lapsed SABR member.
davey

Post by davey »

Dear Evan Hansen became the biggest hit new musical on Broadway after Hamilton, since its embrace by young people, so it was a natural precall...

In a few months we can expect J! clues about another teen musical coming to Broadway, one that became a phenomenon after its cast album from a New Jersey theater was spread via social media. It's called Be More Chill.
Last edited by davey on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blanked on FJ. My wife told me afterward that she mentioned it a few months ago as something I should commit to memory. Once again, she was right! :)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am
Seriously? Well, 30 of those years won't count as far as WAR is concerned, but yeah, if you've been paying any attention to the sport in the last 10 years or so, you should have heard of WAR. And OPS, for that matter. But then again, I'm a lapsed SABR member.
Well yeah, but as indicated, I started paying attention around 1977 and used to keep and follow all kinds of statistics, but don't think that was around in those days. I admit to falling off to where I just watch a few dozen games at most because they've gotten so long that you could catch a Wagner opera between innings. So, I'm used to the stats that I see on the scoreboard, but yeah, I had never even heard of "sabermetric." :oops:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:10 pm I have also not heard of that musical, though musicals are one of my worst categories.
Musicals are also not one of my stronger categories, although in many of the cases where I have no clue, I at least have to admit at the reveal that I HAVE heard of the musical in question. Not so this one. Absolutely. No. Glimmer. Of. Recognition.

sheesh
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am Maya's response of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" got me rooting for her.
Same here.

There have been some ads for Dear Evan Hansen during Jeopardy! itself on WABC (NY). So thanks, whatever's been making WTNH's signal hard to watch. I didn't know it involved social media, but I knew it was a recent thing about teens. I swear it came up in LL recently, too (and I got it wrong, playing along the next day).

Was there a TOM in the UCLA clue other than the year that would lead one to the correct answer rather than USC? I clammed, since I didn't know USC is about 40 years older, but I feel like I may have missed something else.
If you happen to be a local resident you might know this. I got it because legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden was nicknamed "The Wizard of Westwood."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Wins above Replacement and University of Pennsylvania)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Base on Balls, Technical Knockout, 405, (Prime Number), Maxim

Knew Final Jeopardy clue thanks to the 2017 ToC, and that I am also an avid listener to Z100.

Knew prime numbers just from the name Mersenne. Knew Mother's Day just from the name Anna Jarvis. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

No clue on FJ. If I've heard of Dear Evan Hansen before, it hasn't stuck. I can't even remember now what I guessed. (I do remember briefly considering Suck It, Zuckerberg! as an option.) Mrs P guessed The Social Network, hoping they'd turned that into a show. Not a bad guess when you're flailing.

I don't recall hearing of Mersenne primes before, but they didn't sound totally unfamiliar (unlike, say, the correct response to FJ). I guessed primes from the couch because WECIB? I don't know if I'd have buzzed in. As a high-schooler I probably would have. The thing that makes primes fascinating even to a non-mathematician like myself, is that there's no efficient formula for producing or testing for them. You pretty much have to brute force it. (Mathematicians may want to add an asterisk here to nuance that statement, but I think they'll end up agreeing for the most part.)

I knew the Fibonacci sequence couldn't be right because I can calculate the 13th Fibonacci number in my head. It's 233. Or 144 for those who start the sequence at 0 which, I agree, is mathematically more satisfying somehow but is NOT the classic Fibonacci sequence.

There are, interestingly enough, Fibonacci primes, which are exactly what you'd expect. They're Fibonacci numbers that are prime.

I can't gage how difficult the UCLA clue was because I went to UCLA for a couple of years. So I responded by peevishly pointing out that if you go DOWN Westwood Blvd, that takes you away from UCLA toward Wilshire. You want to be going UP Westwood to get to the school.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:44 pm 58 R (Only missing Wins above Replacement and University of Pennsylvania)
What? You don't have have the Archive memorized yet?
Spoiler
#7473, aired 2017-02-22 ON TO GRAD SCHOOL $600: The MBA, it's fantastic! In 1970 this biz school at Penn offered the first MBA program in health care management
#6964, aired 2014-12-18 U.S NEWS & WORLD REPORT BEST OF 2014 $800: Let's get down to business--for undergrads, this City of Brotherly Love university was tops
#6696, aired 2013-10-28 IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS $800: It's home to the Lauder Institute of Management & the Wharton School of Business
#6552, aired 2013-02-26 FACTS & FIGURES $800: 2012-13 MBA tuition at this U. Penn school of business was $57,000
#6385, aired 2012-05-25 BUSINESS SCHOOLS $1600: In 2006 & 2007 this prestigious school at the University of Pennsylvania celebrated its 125th anniversary
#6250, aired 2011-11-18 ALMA MATERS $1000: Later a cabinet member, Frances Perkins attended this Penn business school
#6178, aired 2011-06-22 COURSE CORRECTION $1000: I won't be auditing ACCT 208, Auditing; I'll be in Risk Management, at this business school at Penn
#5476, aired 2008-06-02 IT HAD TO "BU" $1600: Established in 1881, The Wharton School at the U. of Pennsylvania was the world's first collegiate school of this
#4887, aired 2005-12-06 THE UNIVERSITY OF... $400: Home to the Wharton School, it was the first institution in the U.S. to be designated a university
#4786, aired 2005-05-30 DONALD TRUMP $1000: The Donald graduated first in his class from this school of finance at U.Penn. in 1968
#4025, aired 2002-02-15 COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1200: Wharton & the Annenberg School for Communication are both part of this Ivy League institution
#3268, aired 1998-11-18 GRAD SCHOOL $100: Managerial accounting is a core course at Penn's Wharton, the USA's first of these schools
#2717, aired 1996-05-28 COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $500: In 1881 the Wharton School of Finance & Commerce was founded at this university
Your other unknown has much fewer hits:
Spoiler
#7512, aired 2017-04-18 BASEBALL $2000: Wins above replacement is a statistic in this field of baseball statistical analysis
davey

Post by davey »

Never heard of Mersenne anything...only hesitated a moment with irrational on the way to a WECIB prime...A lot easier than the actual math problem, as the kids agreed (a little bit to my surprise, though...)
Not sure if I knew Westwood, it just sounds like a street in LA...Didn't stop to worry about USC...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am Seriously? Well, 30 of those years won't count as far as WAR is concerned, but yeah, if you've been paying any attention to the sport in the last 10 years or so, you should have heard of WAR. And OPS, for that matter. But then again, I'm a lapsed SABR member.
I've always found it a completely useless stat.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am Seriously? Well, 30 of those years won't count as far as WAR is concerned, but yeah, if you've been paying any attention to the sport in the last 10 years or so, you should have heard of WAR. And OPS, for that matter. But then again, I'm a lapsed SABR member.
I've always found it a completely useless stat.
At least tell me you don't consider RBIs and pitching wins useful?

J! doesn't go deep on Broadway, but Dear Evan Hansen was the Tony's Best Musical last year (though I appear right in my assessment that would've been a killer regular J! final)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:31 pm
At least tell me you don't consider RBIs and pitching wins useful?
Wins are utterly useless (Jacob de Grom should be a unanimous Cy Young winner, record be damned) and RBIs only slightly less so.